webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Cyanogen Mod for Pre 3?!
Cyanogen Mod for Pre 3?!
Like Tree2Likes

Old 10/17/2011, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

As we've seen from the Touchpad efforts, the Cyanogen guys are doing a good job porting Android to that device.

Whether or not it is blasphemy to port Android to a webOS device I don't care. I prefer webOS, but would like to see Android as a backup (dual boot) on my Touchpad and soon arriving Pre 3 I just bought off eBay. Especially on my phone to be able to run apps like whatsapp and some Dutch apps.

So how can we motivate the Cyanogen people to also port CM7.1 to the Pre 3. They'll need some dev devices. Could we start some fund raising?
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2011, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
As we've seen from the Touchpad efforts, the Cyanogen guys are doing a good job porting Android to that device.

Whether or not it is blasphemy to port Android to a webOS device I don't care. I prefer webOS, but would like to see Android as a backup (dual boot) on my Touchpad and soon arriving Pre 3 I just bought off eBay. Especially on my phone to be able to run apps like whatsapp and some Dutch apps.

So how can we motivate the Cyanogen people to also port CM7.1 to the Pre 3. They'll need some dev devices. Could we start some fund raising?
Wrong place to comment about this. For fund raising for their cause, try their forums and channels.
Accessories
-5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
bnceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2011, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since there are only a handful Pre3s sold I guess this is a better place than the Cyanogen site (where I have also joined an existing discussion).
Old 10/17/2011, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

thought the touchpad effort onyl got somewhere because of the existing touchpads loaded with android in the first place, could be theres too much work unless a handy preloaded pre3 with android is floatign around out there.

No idea how fast their effort woulda gone if the native droid tpads werent around like.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos of Android 4.0 (ISC) running on Pre3.

Photos taken from here Android CM7/CM9
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8040716.JPG (78.4 KB, 151 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg P8040718.JPG (106.6 KB, 122 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg P8040719.JPG (109.4 KB, 109 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg P8040720.JPG (83.7 KB, 115 views) Email Attachment
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
Wrong place to comment about this. For fund raising for their cause, try their forums and channels.
I remember a site called "PreCentral" which was billed as the place to discuss all things Pre. I suggest Spud finds out what became of it and posts there.

TwistedByKnaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by spud101 and Rnp like this.
Old 08/07/2012, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice that there seems to be someone working on this!
Old 08/07/2012, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

What a waste of a perfectly good pre3

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
What a waste of a perfectly good pre3

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
That's not a waste. That is development and you can't stop it. Fact is that WebOS lacks apps and since all efforts to change that have failed many people see this as the only possibility to enjoy the wide app variety almost every other OS out there has.
geileszeuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

There have been many other threads discussing putting cyanogenmod on a pre 3, and most of those discussions got a little ugly from both sides. Personally, I wouldn't think they would port it to our device, since the userbase is so small.

No need for violence here =)
Sylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

I wouldn't mind putting Android on my Pre 3 with the broken SIM slot just to fool around...
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

doesnt really look like android 4.0 more like 2.3 but nevertheless nice work.
i would never get rid of webos on my pre3 but i just like playing arround with homebrew so if it ever gets usable i wouldnt mind giving one or two gig of space to try this as multi boot option, but only if its 99% Brickfree. I wouldnt want to risk losing my beloved pre3

PS: a VM would be much more intresting tho, i want to keep the webos UI

Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 08/07/2012 at 02:28 PM.
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 02:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylo View Post
There have been many other threads discussing putting cyanogenmod on a pre 3, and most of those discussions got a little ugly from both sides. Personally, I wouldn't think they would port it to our device, since the userbase is so small.

No need for violence here =)
touchpad was a good idea back then as there werent any/many 10" decent sized/spec android tablets, phones for android however....... yeah theres plenty already.
Old 08/07/2012, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rnp

Downgrade.

Best Regards...
Old 08/07/2012, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
touchpad was a good idea back then as there werent any/many 10" decent sized/spec android tablets, phones for android however....... yeah theres plenty already.
i guess no one would get a webos phone just to install android on it, but i also guess many would like to have the option to mulitboot or just play arround with it. I just love stuff like getting another os running on something it wasnt intended to... i would sure getting tired of it after a short while but if its possible why not
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
i guess no one would get a webos phone just to install android on it, but i also guess many would like to have the option to mulitboot or just play arround with it. I just love stuff like getting another os running on something it wasnt intended to... i would sure getting tired of it after a short while but if its possible why not
not sure how multiboot would work, isnt ther pre3's 8gb far too small to accomodate 2 os's and their individual apps comfortably?
Old 08/07/2012, 02:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
I seem to remember a site called "PreCentral" dedicated to all things Prē. Perhaps Spud should find out what became of it and post there?

TwistedByKnaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 02:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedByKnaves View Post
I seem to remember a site called "PreCentral" dedicated to all things Prē. Perhaps Spud should find out what became of it and post there?

hell probably find a site filled with webOS users, and would still probably be better off on a forum filled not only with android users but more importantly android devs.
Old 08/07/2012, 03:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
not sure how multiboot would work, isnt ther pre3's 8gb far too small to accomodate 2 os's and their individual apps comfortably?
My Verizon Pre3 has 16 GB - not in a rush to mod it this way, yet.
Old 01/25/2013, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Photos of Android 4.0 (ISC) running on Pre3.

Photos taken from here Android CM7/CM9
You want to tell us how you did it, maybe?
Good work, anyway
palmpreandroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0