Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I've just purchased an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 that should hopefully arrive soon (I'm trying not to get too excited - lol). I gather that it will work in Australia as it's unlocked and uses the same SIM cards that Australia does. I gather that the only thing I won't be able to do is use 4G - is this assumption correct?

I was wondering if anyone else in Australia has done this? Do I need to doctor it to the European webOS 2.2 in order to set it up and use my Palm profile? If yes, do I'm guessing I'll need to do it as soon as I turn it on. ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Stu :-)
    Which carrier are you with?
    stuartguthrie likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Which carrier are you with?
    Hey John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm with 3.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
    Hey John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm with 3.

Due to the hookup with Vodaphone, you will get 3G on 850MHz via their new metro network on that frequency. Most of the rest of Aus (except Telstra) is on 900MHz.

App Catalog access is something that I will leave to others more expert in that area. I do know that you will have trouble setting up for Aus Catalog access because of a missing State drop-down on the Pre 3.
    I suggest you use Impostah to get access to US catalog.
    You need to do this without a SIM inserted, before activation, with access to WiFi and WOSQI.
    I am on Optus, and have good 3G in cities.
    OTA update to 2.2.3, or use the Dr.
    If you have a TP as well, you can share apps.
    There is nothing else special you need to worry about with the Pre3 in Oz.
    I installed UberKernal and Govnah to manage battery life, but otherwise its standard and fast.
    I have had Pre-, Pre2 and now Pre3, all no major probs with Optus.
    One issue I do have, that I can't seem to find a solution to is 'Please check your "email_provider" Login and Password.' I need to reset the password nearly every day. I think its the POP/SMTP/SSL settings, but I can't find a combination that works.
    Have fun
    I have a Veer rather than a Pre, so hopefully the experience is similar. Once mine was unlocked I just put a SIM card into it and away it went. The App Catalog works for me.
    I'm on Optus.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I own both a ATT Pre 3 (16GB) and a Euro Pre 3 (8GB). I also on a TouchPad (obviously).

Generally speaking, the ATT Pre 3 will work straight out of he box. I'm on Telstra, to be honest I don't think it it operating on 4G. It works perfectly fine on 3G.

I followed some steps to have my Euro Pre 3 disable the Palm profile BEFORE I logged into my ATT Pre 3 with the same Palm profile:

http://www.precentral.net/prevent-de...phone-homebrew

No need to doctor anything. Preware / Impostah is needed on your original webOS handset though. I found that unlike the Euro Pre 3, I couldn't 'manually' change the phone network options on the ATT Pre 3, eg use 2G only / 3G only or Auto. Not sure if that's just me tho.

Also I was hoping the Mobile Hotspot App would work better on the ATT Pre 3 as it wouldn't work reliably on the Euro. Nah, still unreliable. The latest freeTether does an excellent job now, the bugs appear to be ironed out.

Hope that helps.

PS the Pre 3 rocks.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnick View Post
    You need to do this without a SIM inserted, before activation, with access to WiFi and WOSQI.
    I installed UberKernal and Govnah to manage battery life, but otherwise its standard and fast.
    One issue I do have, that I can't seem to find a solution to is 'Please check your "email_provider" Login and Password.' I need to reset the password nearly every day. I think its the POP/SMTP/SSL settings, but I can't find a combination that works.
    Have fun
    Thanks for that. If I don't use Impostah, will I still get the option to choose 'Australia' when setting the device up?

I've found that I have that issue a lot on my Pre 2 too. I figured it was just a problem related to Yahoo mail, but clearly not.

Thanks again for your help. If you think of anything else, please let us know.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by a30guy View Post
    I have a Veer rather than a Pre, so hopefully the experience is similar. Once mine was unlocked I just put a SIM card into it and away it went. The App Catalog works for me.
    I'm on Optus.
    Thanks for that info. How do you find your Veer? I'd love to get my mum one as she loves her Pre 2, but I worry that the screen and keyboard might be too small for her.

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpaul View Post

No need to doctor anything. Preware / Impostah is needed on your original webOS handset though. I found that unlike the Euro Pre 3, I couldn't 'manually' change the phone network options on the ATT Pre 3, eg use 2G only / 3G only or Auto. Not sure if that's just me tho.
    Thanks so much for that. Is it still possible to disabled data roaming on the AT&T Pre 3? If yes, do you know if it works? I'd hate to end up with a massive bill for roaming charges (although Three is an excellent service provider in terms of coverage I find).

Thanks again.
    If you use Impostah, you get US App Cat, means most apps, but you need a US CC to buy. I have found USUnlocked works fine, although a pain to setup.
    If you don't use Impostah, you get AU Cat, less apps, and still can't buy because the 'state' drop down is missing !
    I recommend Impostah and USUnlocked or SimonMall CC (needs US friend).
    I have turned data roaming off, and i'll see if it works when I'm in US next week. I also have an AT&T SIM, so I'll see that works in my AT&T Pre3
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for that. Is it still possible to disabled data roaming on the AT&T Pre 3? If yes, do you know if it works? I'd hate to end up with a massive bill for roaming charges (although Three is an excellent service provider in terms of coverage I find).

Thanks again.

yep, you can disable data roaming. As I travel a lot through Asia. Sweet as.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm running a Pre 3 on Vodafone, Impostah and TouchPad to set up on Aussie App cat. I'm using wireless hotspot without much hassle.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    I'm using a pre3 from at&t on telstra in Aus, used impostah to activate it for AU app store, but still have the state bug problem, so using my touchpad profile and all is good paid app access in aus (used impostah to change profile)

works great very happy with the purchases
  15.    #15  
    Hey all,

Thanks so much for your replies. A couple of other questions, a few of my apps haven't downloaded: N.O.V.A, Assassin's Creed, Brothers in Arms, and Asphalt5. Is there anything I can do about this?

Secondly, is it ok to use the Pre 2 power adaptor as the one I've received is U.S. only, whereas I have the Australian plugs for the Pre 2 one?

Many thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
    Hey all,
    Secondly, is it ok to use the Pre 2 power adaptor as the one I've received is U.S. only, whereas I have the Australian plugs for the Pre 2 one?
    The charger will work fine.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The charger will work fine.
    Thanks for that. Is there anything I can do about my missing apps?

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I have just returned to Australia from the USA, I have original "pre".. useless here, but my Pre 3 will arrive shortly, I have a profile in USA , not sure how to use Impostah , , I shall read more I guess
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnick View Post
    Have fun
    on the email issue is that with gmail by any chance
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    on the email issue is that with gmail by any chance
    My Gmail is working without a hitch. My Dad was having an issue with TPG.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast