Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    As a CDMA guy, I'm not as familiar with GSM bands and all that. I see there's a lot of talk about getting H+ ATT and something below it on H20 Wireless.

    I noticed today that T-Mobile is offering a new 4G plan for $30 (Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile) that seems to be HSPA+. Press release here: Walmart and T-Mobile Introduce Exclusive No-Annual Contract 4G Offering - MarketWatch

    It has 100 minutes (which is pretty low, but not bad for me as I don't use a lot of talk) and "Unlimited" (*First 5GB at up to 4G speeds) data.

    I thought I'd get people's thoughts. I hear that T-mobile only had Edge speeds, but if it says HSPA+ and the ATT is HSPA+ it's the same thing right?
  2. #2  
    I'll be watching this thread. At $30 it might just be worth a try...
  3. #3  
    It depends on the frequencies T-Mobile uses. Their 3G bands are different so I wouldn't count on their HSPA+ bands being the same either.
  4. #4  
    I plan on doing this if i get a pre 3. There is no contract so worst case your out 30. Im assuming edge data
  5. #5  
    edge is all your going to get. No hspa+, no 3g
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 10/16/2011 at 01:34 PM.
  6. #6  
    How do u buy this plan? I don't think it's available yet
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    It depends on the frequencies T-Mobile uses. Their 3G bands are different so I wouldn't count on their HSPA+ bands being the same either.
    Is there a clear list of which bands are supported by which networks, and which bands the Pre3 needs for the fastest speeds.

    I've been looking on Wikipedia and there's a list of MVNOs and bands - List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    However, none of them look to be 4G. The highest is UMTS 3G. Also the Pre3 on Wikipedia is only listed as working with 3G networks - HP Pre 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    The best I can make out is that I "might" be looking for a network with a UMTS 1900 band.
  8. #8  
    tmobile will only give you EDGE speeds when using an at&t phone. Sorry.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    As a CDMA guy, I'm not as familiar with GSM bands and all that. I see there's a lot of talk about getting H+ ATT and something below it on H20 Wireless.

    I noticed today that T-Mobile is offering a new 4G plan for $30 (Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile) that seems to be HSPA+. Press release here: Walmart and T-Mobile Introduce Exclusive No-Annual Contract 4G Offering - MarketWatch

    It has 100 minutes (which is pretty low, but not bad for me as I don't use a lot of talk) and "Unlimited" (*First 5GB at up to 4G speeds) data.

    I thought I'd get people's thoughts. I hear that T-mobile only had Edge speeds, but if it says HSPA+ and the ATT is HSPA+ it's the same thing right?
    Unfortunately, I don't believe we can get it.
    I called T-Mobile this morning inquiring about this plan and was told that only phones purchased thru Wal-Mart (maybe only new customers) are eligible for the 30 unlimited plan.

    But, to offset this T-Mobile has added the following new plans starting today:


    $3/day
    Unlimited Talk
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited Web**
    **First 200 MB per day at up to 4G speed


    $2/day
    Unlimited Talk
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited Web*
    *2G speed


    $60/month
    Unlimited Talk
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited Web**
    **First 2GB at up to 4G speeds
  10. #10  
    I think if you buy a cheap crapola tmobile $10 phone you can use the SIM card from it on the $60 plan. Don't know if it has to be web capable or not.
  11. #11  
    You have to buy at walmart... Can't buy through tmobile
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    You have to buy at walmart... Can't buy through tmobile
    That's what I meant, sorry.
  13. #13  
    Anyone successful yet?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  14. #14  
    I'm using an unlocked ATT Pre 3 on T-Mobile in the NY area (where there is pretty good coverage).

    EDGE (2.5G) only, sorry.

    The frequencies provided in the Pre 3 arent the same as T-Mobiles HSPA/+ frequencies.

    If the merger goes through, however, that may change (along with an excrutiating price hike, after your T-Mobile contract is over).



    PS, EDGE in NY is fine. Not great, but more than adequate for casual browsing, when wifi isnt available.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  15. #15  
    Just activated my veer on this account. $32.3 per month for 100 min of calls and unlimited data and text. I will move the sim to my pre 3 later and see how it is doing.

    I used a tmobile sim+ activation that I had bought on ebay. this $30 deal is a web Only offer, the walmart in my area had no knowledge of this deal.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I'm using an unlocked ATT Pre 3 on T-Mobile in the NY area (where there is pretty good coverage).

    EDGE (2.5G) only, sorry.

    The frequencies provided in the Pre 3 arent the same as T-Mobiles HSPA/+ frequencies.

    If the merger goes through, however, that may change (along with an excrutiating price hike, after your T-Mobile contract is over).



    PS, EDGE in NY is fine. Not great, but more than adequate for casual browsing, when wifi isnt available.
    Have you tried this "4G" Walmart SIM card yet?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    That's what I meant, sorry.
    This is a web Only offer at tmobile. Walmart supercenter in raleigh had no knowledge of this deal.
  18. #18  
    Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

    $30 WEB ONLY
    100 minutes
    Unlimited text
    Unlimited* data
    *First 5GB at up to 4G speeds
  19. #19  
    Tmobile uses a different 3G band than anyone else (tmobile uses 1700, everyone else uses 1900 in the US), so I'm guessing their 4G band is different too. What bands does the Pre3 use?
  20. #20  
    I heard some say T-Mobile requires phones that take BOTH 1700 and 2100 UMTS then the phone will get on 3G/4G network. Is that true?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions