Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I guess this is where having a non-supported phone gets tricky, huh? I'll have my AT&T unlocked Pre3 phone on Monday (should have been delivered today, grrrrr) so have been investigating both AT&T and T-Mobile. At first I was just going to go with AT&T, then this afternoon I was zzzzthinking T-Mobile's $60 4G Unlimited Talk, Text & Web plan. However, it appears that the Pre3 won't get 4G or 3G with T-Mobile? So, seems like I'm back considering AT&T at least for the initial activation since some have reported problems with profile activation if not using 3G (some have called BS on this, but seems like a good precaution since no contract required). So, unless someone can explain where my thinking here is flawed, it's off to AT&T for the initial contract on my new Pre3?
    Have you considered H2O? My strategy was exactly the same as yours. Activate on ATT for the provisioning, then shop for a plan. I am about to activate an unlocked ATT device that has never been activated on H2O just to see if it can be done. The "unlimited" plan is $60 and uses ATT network. I should get H+. I'm going to run one device on ATT & one on H2O simultaneously, compare speeds and go with the fastest data connection in the end, regardless of price. I will be posting results in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-3/300798-anyone-try-t-pre-3-h2o-wireless.html
    Last edited by matteebee13; 10/22/2011 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Have you considered H2O? My strategy was exactly the same as yours. Activate on ATT for the provisioning, then shop for a plan. I am about to activate an unlocked ATT device that has never been activated on H2O just to see if it can be done. The "unlimited" plan is $60 and uses ATT network. I should get H+. I'm going to run one device on ATT & one on H2O simultaneously, compare speeds and go with the fastest data connection in the end, regardless of price. I will be posting results in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-wireless.html
    Yes, I would consider H2O, but thinking I'll activate with AT&T. There is no reason I couldn't activate with AT&T and then move to H2O is there?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'll call T-Mobile about this tomorrow, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed this:

Photos come through in the messaging app, but they're always downscaled to be really blurry. Doesn't matter if I copy / save them to my phone or what, they're always some horribly downscaled version of the photo. Is this just a Pre 3 thing or do you think changing the MMS APN settings in the phone app will change this behavior?

(For what it's worth, I've got a UK Pre 3-- not an AT&T one).
    tmobiles 2g edge network is not too horrible... SPRINTs 3g is only slightly better
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I was researching the new Walmart T-Mobile $30 plan and saw this:

Customer Requirements For T-Mobile/Wal-Mart $30 Prepaid Plan, HTTPS Data Blocked? Screen Shot 2011-10-18 at 3.34.47 PMwtmk

What is interesting is that you cannot get it if you are an existing customer?
    Also, the data does NOT work if you are roaming domestically or internationally?

These restrictions have just about driven the final nail into my dream of getting an unlocked Veer or Pre3 and running it on this network.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    I'll call T-Mobile about this tomorrow, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed this:

Photos come through in the messaging app, but they're always downscaled to be really blurry. Doesn't matter if I copy / save them to my phone or what, they're always some horribly downscaled version of the photo. Is this just a Pre 3 thing or do you think changing the MMS APN settings in the phone app will change this behavior?

(For what it's worth, I've got a UK Pre 3-- not an AT&T one).
    The Pre2 does the same thing. I talked to Tmobile for quite a while about this, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Tmobile thing. Other tmobile phones can receive full size images. Also, I can send full size images, I just can't receive them. I tried two different working mms settings, both allowed me to receive tiny thumbnail images only. (Also, data must be on to receive mms messages even if I am not receiving any data signal. A friend with a Pixi Plus has the same problem, she does not even have a data plan at all, and yet data must be on or she can't send/receive mms.)

If you somehow manage to fix this, PLEASE post here in case the same thing would fix the Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Yes, I would consider H2O, but thinking I'll activate with AT&T. There is no reason I couldn't activate with AT&T and then move to H2O is there?
    None that I know of.
    On the Walmart plan with a Veer.
    Cannot get GPS. Tried opening maps, tried installing GPS fix, Simple GPS. On Simple GPS I pushed the start tracking button and got this app is blacklisted.

Sprint Pre2 gets GPS instantly despite the rain.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Just activated my veer on this account. $32.3 per month for 100 min of calls and unlimited data and text. I will move the sim to my pre 3 later and see how it is doing.

I used a tmobile sim+ activation that I had bought on ebay. this $30 deal is a web Only offer, the walmart in my area had no knowledge of this deal.
    When will you be getting your Pre3? I'd like to know if I can do this with my att Pre3! ATT is expensive!
    I was rocking a veer, and a pre3 on this plan. It is very simple, order a sim card activation kit online for $7.99 and activate the plan online. You will only get edge data speeds, but you get about 120kb/s download speeds which isn't too bad, and its unlimited data, and unlimited text. cheapest plan out there.
    I thought this would be a great idea, but have a look at my signature. I'm setting this as my signature everywhere until T-Mobile responds to my numerous requests to investigate.

I actually get a nearly respectable 0.25mb/sec and a 300ms ping, if i'm using the GPRS network that predates EDGE. EDGE is horrific. I haven't yet figured out if there's a way to force the phone to only use GPRS.

I tried actually calling T-Mobile customer service today, but got hung up on 4 times with "please call back from a different telephone, I can't understand you".
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
    I was researching the new Walmart T-Mobile $30 plan and saw this:

Customer Requirements For T-Mobile/Wal-Mart $30 Prepaid Plan, HTTPS Data Blocked? Screen Shot 2011-10-18 at 3.34.47 PMwtmk

What is interesting is that you cannot get it if you are an existing customer?
    Also, the data does NOT work if you are roaming domestically or internationally?

These restrictions have just about driven the final nail into my dream of getting an unlocked Veer or Pre3 and running it on this network.
    Are you sure about data roaming blocked I thought it was supposed to work, just a limit of how much data roaming you could do a month. In my area t-mobile only has 2G and only 2 or 3 towers at that, I was hoping to have at-least full 3g speed while roaming off at&t since my understanding is they now have a 3g roaming agreement since the failed merger. I know i'd have to use a quad-band phone from t-mobile to do this can anyone confirm please?
    Im currently using the Pre 3 on TMO and to get the HSPA+ speeds you need to have your towers in your area upgraded with the 1900mhz band. In my area(northern nj) i have seen flashes of HSPA+ speeds. I know there are a few websites to check and see where T-Mobile is bringing out this network update, but I dont know them off of the top of my head.
    qbenguy likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knicks2030 View Post
    Im currently using the Pre 3 on TMO and to get the HSPA+ speeds you need to have your towers in your area upgraded with the 1900mhz band. In my area(northern nj) i have seen flashes of HSPA+ speeds. I know there are a few websites to check and see where T-Mobile is bringing out this network update, but I dont know them off of the top of my head.
    I'm strongly considering buying a Pre3 and I'm also in the New York area. I currently have a Pre on Sprint but would switch to T-Mobile. Did you just walk into a T-Mobile storefront to activate your phone or can it be done online?

Thanks in advance.
    I already had T-Mobile when I activated my Pre 3 so this may be different for you but all I needed was a SIM card for the carrier that was active. I pulled it from my old phone and put it in the Pre 3. I didn't have to talk to T-Mobile or go online at all. I'm fortunate to live in an area where the upgraded frequency towers are common. At my house I get speeds somewhere between the 3G and 4G standards, verified with one of those speed test sites. The phone displays the "3G" icon.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoAlex View Post
    I already had T-Mobile when I activated my Pre 3 so this may be different for you but all I needed was a SIM card for the carrier that was active. I pulled it from my old phone and put it in the Pre 3. I didn't have to talk to T-Mobile or go online at all. I'm fortunate to live in an area where the upgraded frequency towers are common. At my house I get speeds somewhere between the 3G and 4G standards, verified with one of those speed test sites. The phone displays the "3G" icon.
    You're right. I spoke with a T-Mobile online representative which said the same that you did about having to buy a SIM card. I guess that I'd just have the SIM card activated and/or choose a plan. I think I also live in an area that should get pretty decent speeds. By the way, did you buy your Pre3 from the webosnation marketplace? Ebay?

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.
    Wow, thread resurrection.

Anyway, Straight Talk will let you prepay to use T-Mo also if you get the right SIM. Just switched to them from Sprint. T-Mo doesn't have a direct $30 plan like this anymore. Think it's $60 on T-Mo now but $45 from ST.

Recently carrying on about it in another thread: Palm pre - sprint - out of stock / refurbs
    Quote Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
    You're right. I spoke with a T-Mobile online representative which said the same that you did about having to buy a SIM card. I guess that I'd just have the SIM card activated and/or choose a plan. I think I also live in an area that should get pretty decent speeds. By the way, did you buy your Pre3 from the webosnation marketplace? Ebay?

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.
    I got mine from eBay. Didn't even think to look for a classifieds section here. Cost $150.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
    By the way, did you buy your Pre3 from the webosnation marketplace? Ebay?
    Ah, and I left out: I used craigslist. Like to see the goods, plus that immediate gratifcation is nice. And in the Bay Area there's lots of webOS hardware floating around.

Paid $150 brand new in box, IIRC.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Here's another thread resurrection.

I recently switched to the T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan on an unlocked ATT Pre3 (from a Verizon Pre 2). It seems to be working for the most part.

1) My coverage is less reliable than ATT or Verizon, which I expected. Sometimes one bar or none. But working 90% of the time at least.
    2) I think most of the Atlanta area has been switched over to 1900, but I've still never seen anything but the 3G symbol anywhere I've been. Will I ever see indications of 4G? Along those lines,
    3) Do I need to change any APN settings for 4G? I changed the internet apt to "fast.t-mobile.com" which I was referred to by another post. Can't tell if that's making any difference.
    4) Maps is totally unreliable now. I know it's not the phone, because I used it successfully in Italy on Wind. But it always shows me as being at the last location that was on the map when I used WiFi. I think I've seen Maps locate me correctly once. It often says "Location services unavailable," regardless of what kind of signal I'm getting.

I can actually live with these minor problems given my minimal phone use and preference for WebOS. But if there's an easy solution, I'd love to try it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234