Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    This is much more tempting for me. I was really iffy about Tmobile because of the potential AT&T merge.. but being prepaid would alleviate that... now just to look for a good pre3... hmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeybeep View Post
    Tmobile uses a different 3G band than anyone else (tmobile uses 1700, everyone else uses 1900 in the US), so I'm guessing their 4G band is different too. What bands does the Pre3 use?
    4G is just a marketing term, so in the US 3G and 4G are the same system.
    by convention, LTE (long-term evolution) is a fourth generation. See wikipedia if you wanna know more about it.

therefore ATT and TMO both use UMTS system for 3G (third Generation) based on GSM
    (see Universal Mobile Telecommunications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    however, ATT uses 850/1900 Mhz while TMO use 1700/2100 Mhz
    Now it depends on your phone.
    Pre3: UMTS bands (900/1900/2100) according to HP Pre3 Smartphone Specifications | Business Mobile Phones | HP® Official Site
    Veer: Tri-band UMTS (850/1900/2100)
    - so technically Pre3 and veer are capable to use ATT and TMO 3G/4G network.

I am still figuring out why the phone cannot get 3g/4g network.......
    I called TMO in the morning about the issue. they said TMO emits data via 1700/2100 in my area, however, the phone cant get any.
    Useful information:

1. You will absolutely NOT get 3g or 4g on TMobile with a Pre3. Period. So please do not buy any plan above the $50 plan - they'll get you no more data than the $50 plan.

2. EDGE is sort of a 2.5G technology; it was a big boost to the original 2G GSM data speeds (which were abysmal). Typical EDGE speeds are supposed to be around 400kbps, which isn't too bad really. I have not run any speedtests on my Pre3, but in usage I've found the data speed just fine for my typical usage (e-mail, maps, light browsing), though noticably slower than Verizon EVDO.

3. T-Mobile is still missing a $40 plan - the two $30 plans either have too little minutes, or too little data. I'd sure like to see something at the $40 level mixing the two $30 plans (say 1000 minutes/texts, 1GB data, something like that). Either that or a $10 'bonus' add-on to either plan that would add a big chunk of data or a big chunk of minutes.

4. SimpleMobile has a $40 unlimited plan using T-Mobile's network, BUT you lose the roaming areas T-Mobile offers (mostly rural areas, but also along some major interstates you might travel).

5. One day AT&T may actually take over T-Mobile. Presumably at that point T-Mobile users would be able to roam on AT&T, and thus get 3g/4g data (IF they allow data roaming too). Prices will probably also go up too. You win some, you lose some. (EDIT: actually it looks like AT&T plans to simply move all t-mobile subscribers to AT&T's network bands and get rid of the 1700mhz frequency; the T-Mobile towers will be re-purposed to roll-out a true 4G network. again that's only if the 'merger' goes through)
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 10/18/2011 at 12:17 AM.
    I understand that its a web only deal but how do i buy it? There is no where to click on anything
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I understand that its a web only deal but how do i buy it? There is no where to click on anything
    get sim card for tmobile......then go online and activate the plan.
    how did you guys unlock your phone?
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    As others have said, you won't get 3g/4g. The Pre 3 doesn't support the bands t-mobile uses as it was an AT&T phone.

Anyone who already had a t-mobile prepaid account, are you able to change your plan to it ? I currently have the $50/m (unlimited call, text, data, 100 mb cap) and was looking to switch to it, but when I go to change plan, it doesn't show up. Do I have to get a new SIM card to activate ?
    I ordered my T-Mobile sim card from amazon but I now worried about unlocking the device. Don't know how
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I ordered my T-Mobile sim card from amazon but I now worried about unlocking the device. Don't know how
    Call ATT and be nice....they will give you the code.
    I tried! They would have given me the code but it is not in their system yet. Someone started a bad rumor!
    I tried! They would have given me the code but it is not in their system yet. Someone started a bad rumor!
    Be Patient. The unlock code will come someday within a month.

Or

Pretend a HP Employee and send an email to HP/Palm Human Resource
    (Information taken from HP/Palm WebOS Store at Sunnyvale, CA which is no longer open)
    I do not guarantee that you will be able to get it or not.
    I just got unlock codes inside the store, so I have never tried.

carrierit[at]palm.com
    kevin.sibley[at]palm.com

saying like I am unable to access to the store to get the unlock code, blah blah....
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    there is an unlock tool on another forum I saw.......
    Quote Originally Posted by dbodner View Post
    Anyone who already had a t-mobile prepaid account, are you able to change your plan to it ? I currently have the $50/m (unlimited call, text, data, 100 mb cap) and was looking to switch to it, but when I go to change plan, it doesn't show up. Do I have to get a new SIM card to activate ?
    same for me. the new $60 plan shows up, but not the new $30 plan.
    I am really excited about this plan for my pre 3. How is everything working for those who have it?
    no one does yet
    I am really excited about this plan for my pre 3. How is everything working for those who have it?
    Works ok however I was getting speeds of 110 kbps (max I saw was 180 kbps up and 80 down) upload and download around my house in Raleigh Durham area with the default APN setting. I called t-mobile and got the correct APN Setting which is epc.tmobile.com (no username/password). I have not checked the speeds yet.

SMS seems fine, haven't called anyone yet (it is only 100 minutes ) I will stick to skype as I have unlimited subscription.
    Just a fair warning to everyone, webOS phones need to have the profile activation via 3G so it would be best to have it activated using an at&t sim with data (just go to an at&t store and have some one use their sim). Once it is activated then you can unlock it and use tmobile's sim or any other carrier's sim.
    Thanks so much for the update and information but Why is that necessary
    Thanks so much for the update and information but Why is that necessary
    If you can't log in to your profile then the phone is useless as you will be stuck in the profile activation screen unless you go into #*devmode# but then you lose app catalog access (since the device uses a generic developer account to log in).

I am currently having an issue with a veer (bought for my brother) where I was having the same problem. Now with an AT&t sim I am able ot log in but can't get the app catalog to work. HP butler service guy tells me that since I bought this off of ebay I do not have butler service access however he couldn't do anything. The issue has now been escalated to level 3 and they will contact me within 48 hours. However, I am not sure what they can do to fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Just a fair warning to everyone, webOS phones need to have the profile activation via 3G so it would be best to have it activated using an at&t sim with data (just go to an at&t store and have some one use their sim). Once it is activated then you can unlock it and use tmobile's sim or any other carrier's sim.
    Out of curiosity why? I just used my t-mobile sim on my Pre2. Everything seems to work fine unless I'm missing something. I use the wap.voicestream.com APN since I'm on an old grandfathered plan. There's internet2.voicestream.com (I think support recommends this for the iphone) and internet3.voicestream.com they all should offer the same speed. Epc does image compression if the phone supports it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast