Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By treo2die4
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 2 Post By tholap
  1.    #1  
    My wife may stab me with a spoon....

Those of you that have come from Pre2 or Veer, is it worth buying a Pre3? The Veer and Pre2 were leaps above the original Sprint Pre... now thinking about the Pre3, the official closing of the Palm store has put me in a mood for one.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    It's the real deal
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    it is the best hardware palm ever made. The pre2 is excellent, and the pre3 is waaaaaaay beyond that.
    Absolutely yes. Easily the best webOS device.
  5.    #5  
    Looking like I need to sell some TP accessories then...

Love the build quality of the Veer, the Pre2 has a decent build quality and better screen size.... Pre3 may be the dream.... plus TTS, so mad/sad at HP right now
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I don't doubt at all what everyone is saying about the quality of the Pre 3. What I would be concerned about is support for the phone moving forward. It has been bad enough to live with the Pre-, with the lack of apps that would make my business affairs much easier, but isn't the app availability for the Pre 3 even worse? And with the very uncertain future of webOS, most likely this will not get any better.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge webOS fan, I love the entire ecosystem that I have experienced (Pre- and Touchpad), but the question I ask myself is should I commit the money on a piece of hardware that will have little development in the future?

I wish this question was not relevant, I really do.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    as long as the features and patches available today meet the need, go for it.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    as long as the features and patches available today meet the need, go for it.
    Yes, I agree, I was willing to do without a few apps I could really use, because webOS was fun, I like being part of a developing ecosystem, webOS GUI just made sense, the homebrew community was vibrant and exciting, new patches to unlock some new cool feature came out regularly. webOS was an experience. It still is today, but its different, and with nothing to look forward to, its not fun anymore.

Now, with little chance those last remaining apps will ever see the light of day, I have to face the reality that another platform my be better suited.

I have to mid January to see some twinkle of possibility for webOS, my contract with Sprint ends. I could upgrade today, get a couple 4s's, use my last premier benefit on 2 lines, then upgrade a child's line or 2 in the spring to mid 2012 when hopefully the iphone 5 comes out, and that is a possibility. But it tastes better talking with Sprint about upgrading or not when I don't have a contract in my mouth.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  9.    #9  
    Okay guess I own an 8 gig unlocked Pre3 for $10 more than I bought our most expensive Pre2 for..... Now to find an under $200 ATT Pre3 so the wife can get the 8 gig I just bought... I love GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I don't doubt at all what everyone is saying about the quality of the Pre 3. What I would be concerned about is support for the phone moving forward. It has been bad enough to live with the Pre-, with the lack of apps that would make my business affairs much easier, but isn't the app availability for the Pre 3 even worse? And with the very uncertain future of webOS, most likely this will not get any better.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge webOS fan, I love the entire ecosystem that I have experienced (Pre- and Touchpad), but the question I ask myself is should I commit the money on a piece of hardware that will have little development in the future?

I wish this question was not relevant, I really do.
    At this point it's fairly simple:
    a) You think apps are very important - or you miss a few apps that are killer for what you need/want: Forget webos. I hope a capable company buys it - but the chances are low at this point. And without a future few devs will bother supporting it - mostly the homebrew guys. You have to assume that nothing you miss now will ever appear.

b) All the apps you really need/want are already here - anything else is icing on the cake: In this case the Pre3 and webos are a killer combo and IMHO the best system available on the market (but that's - of course - a matter of taste and preferences).

I'm very happy with the Pre3 - but I already have what I want in apps. Everything else is bonus to me. There's some small fixes and optimizations I'd like to see before HP shuts down development and gives up the fiction that they'll actually support the OS without anybody producing new hardware for it. But even if nothing comes out I'll be satisfied for a couple of years.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Okay guess I own an 8 gig unlocked Pre3 for $10 more than I bought our most expensive Pre2 for..... Now to find an under $200 ATT Pre3 so the wife can get the 8 gig I just bought... I love GSM.

well start the bidding on ebay. After loosing 5 or 6 phones, I snug one for just $180