Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I cant believe that HP grounded the pre3.. i cant believe they didnt release it in the US.. i cant believe that this phone i am using right now on verizon is so fast, smooth and easy to use. I cant believe that my web browser works like a 4g phone. I cant believe.................................... EVERYTHING..

hp friggin blew this so badly... this phone is absolutely amazing.. HD video, Auto focus??? H3LL yeah!! i mean.. anyone thinking about buying a pre3 on VZW off ebay.. DO IT.. its sooooo worth the 600$... Just bought some screen protectors suggested in another thread...

GET THIS PHONE.

(one thing is weird, the screen dims sometimes) i dont really care..... but i dont have govnah or anything on it.. its stock right now...

not sure i want to goof around with it.. i really dont want to brick this puppy.. i would cry..
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    as much as I like my pre3, I don't think it would of been any more successful than the TP or veer. There's just not enough in it to have it stand out among the current top end phones. It's good for someone like me who won't go near an Android or iOS device no matter what, but for the more typical user it's not as good.

Despite that though I was expecting HP to push through and keep going even if it meant another billion or two spent during the process. The market for smart phones and tablets/other mobile computing devices is still in it's infancy.
    Yep, HP's previous CEO Leo really blew it. The Touchpad is great and is like the #2 tablet even though it will be discontinued next month. The Pre3 is great too. Hopefully the new CEO will continue webOS phones and tablets. We should know in the next week or two.
    The screen dimming feature is too aggressive and it gets old quickly but the good news is there is a patch for that, just install Preware and then install the "Disable Light Sensitive Dimming" patch and that problem will go away plus there are many other wonderful tweaks offered up by WebOS Internals to make your Pre 3 experience even better. Don't forgot to donate, a dollar, a five spot, whatever you can afford

Before I picked up my Pre 3 I had read many some posts in here on what an amazing phone it was, but until I actually had one in my hand and used one, I did not have a clue, wow, what a sweet device. Pick one up and see for yourself
    crucian4 likes this.
    That's what's great about webOS. If there's some small thing that people dislike, and it's usually fixed by the community. :-)

I'm totally agreeing with the OP here. Wouldn't it be nice if we could somehow raise the money to pay for the operating system then make is open source? One can only imagine what would happen if that happened.
    Phones:
    HP Pre 3 (crossing fingers)
    Galaxy S Captivate (current)
    Pre+ (screen broke off back)
    Pre+ (stopped charging)
    LG Rumor 2 (pre's are better, what did you think)
    Palm Treo 720 (I'm not sure why I stopped using this one :P)
    LG Rumor 1 (lost)
    something224 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    I couldnt agree more with everyone's comments. Its the end of DAY 1 with the pre 3, and some of the new findings i see are the character movement option now, holding down "alt" (up arrow) and swiping moves the cursor.. AWESOME.. the maps feature is bada$$

Im still trying to figure out how to get FB to integrate my contacts like my pre+ did(with the pictures and stuff linking them). I think tomorrow i am going to uninstall FB and reinstall.... it

I am one of those people who, when he finds a community of people, fully supportive of a device(s) wants to become part of that community. Everyone here has been so helpful... i wish the CEO would come here and read some of the stuff that people say...

Oh and on another note natepre509, i dont agree with you saying the pre3 would not have been successful out of the gate. PROOF being, i let my girlfrend play with my pre3 today, and she said "they really didn't release this phone?, this is bada$$"

She also said "this is like all the android phones out there right with the ease of sliding between applications and swiping to close them" i said, no, no phone is like this.. lets just say she was very suprised..

Welp. day1 is over. Right now, that $600 i spent, was worth every single penny..
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Six hundred bucks? I where'd you get that? I see a whole bunch of ~200 dollar pre3s on ebay.
    Phones:
    HP Pre 3 (crossing fingers)
    Galaxy S Captivate (current)
    Pre+ (screen broke off back)
    Pre+ (stopped charging)
    LG Rumor 2 (pre's are better, what did you think)
    Palm Treo 720 (I'm not sure why I stopped using this one :P)
    LG Rumor 1 (lost)
    so, is it worth getting a backup pre? I havn't received mine yet. dont think i can make up my mind until im holding one in my hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by sauyon View Post
    Six hundred bucks? I where'd you get that? I see a whole bunch of ~200 dollar pre3s on ebay.
    He's talking about the Verizon Pre3. It's much rarer than the others. And unlike GSM phones you can't just switch a SIM card to switch carriers.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    If HP released pre3 back in Feb when they announced it, it might have sold decently. Look at IP4S. They announce it and 2 weeks later, it's released. But now, or even during early summer, it was too late. By that time, thinner, sleeker, dual core phones were being released. If HP released Pre3 now, there's no way it can stand up to Samsung Galaxy S II, a flagship HTC phone, or even IP4S. Put it side by side against these phones and you'll notice that Pre3 just looks very dated and bulky, even tho it has the smaller footprint.
    What I REALLY don't understand, is how the company who currently holds the #1 highest market share in Personal Computer sales, feels like spinning off that division claiming they only make profit on ink & printers.

Secondly, WebOS is competitive with iOS and Android (and open verse iOS which is completely closed) with the only weak point being lack of developers making apps; that point HP has made 10X worse, as no one is gonna make an app for a devices that are discontinued with no future.

The iPhone4S market consists 95% of current iPhone users.

The potential Pre 3 market consists of current Pre users AND anyone who wants a smart phone that doesn't run Android or an iPhone, that's a pretty good market position.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    If HP released pre3 back in Feb when they announced it, it might have sold decently. Look at IP4S. They announce it and 2 weeks later, it's released. But now, or even during early summer, it was too late. By that time, thinner, sleeker, dual core phones were being released. If HP released Pre3 now, there's no way it can stand up to Samsung Galaxy S II, a flagship HTC phone, or even IP4S. Put it side by side against these phones and you'll notice that Pre3 just looks very dated and bulky, even tho it has the smaller footprint.
    I think like people who see everything with rose colored glasses there are people who are never happy. FOR all the reviewers who say it is a fat device I have this to say. It is NOT a fat phone as it has a full QWERTY keyboard. It is still slimmer than my previous QWERTY keyboard devices including HTC Tilt, Epic 4G, Dell Venue Pro, the Pre and Pre Plus. In fact I believe it is slimmer than most QWERTY slider devices on the market today. It is stupid to compare its size to a device which is not in the same category.

It is better than next generation Windows Phone 7 devices (and would have been made available 5-6 months before them) and on par with majority of devices available today with front facing camera, 5 MP autofocus rear camera with 720 p video capture, voice dial from nuance, skype already integrated with the messaging app (along with google voice and several others), 3.6" gorilla glass at 800x480 it is sharper than majority of android device out there with >=4" screen at the same WVGA resolution.

1.4 GHz single core should be faster or at least on part with 1 GHz dual core devices as on average even with optimized software; dual core brings you 120% performance improvement over a single core device running at the same speed. Dual core gives you better battery life if you can turn on and off the second core at will. No one thinks taht apps are actually being optimized for multi-core right now. For that to happen the OS will first have to support multi-core as well which webOS is not.

Windows Phone 7 has shown that a properly optimized OS can take advantage of the processor and not slow down. We don't even have full hardware acceleration yet and still Pre 3 is lightning fast, I do NOT see any app blinking more than once on my Pre 3. The other day I was showing it to a friend about the perception of an app opening slowly bec ause of the way iOS handle opening apps and the way webOS handles and I couldn't get any app to remain on the blinking card stage for more than a second.

All things aside, more money can be made if things are cheaper, Samsung stratosphere is being sold at $149 and has much inferior specs than Pre 3. There are lots of other phones on the market both windows phone 7 and Android that have inferior specs and inferior experience than Pre 3. Pre 3 could have been a contender at $149.99.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 10/16/2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: clarification...
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    If the Pre3 were released as the original Pre it might have been groundbreaking. The only thing the Pre3 has to make it stand out in a crowd is the webOS UI, and we all know that isn't enough. With that said, I love my Pre3 and I'll spend the next year deciding which Droid to move to...
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I dont care how much you guys like Pre 3, if HP released Pre 3, it was DOA. There's nothing special about that phone. It seems special now since its discontinued. It's failed designed from 2 years ago, and its still the buggiest mobile OS.
    Then you haven't actually used it as a primary phone. If you had you would be asking the same question. I have an original Pre, Pre Plus (GSM), Veer, and a Pre 3.

I have used the following phones over the last 3 years HTC tilt, iphone 3G, iphone 3GS, Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung focus, Dell venue Pro and HTC Evo 3D. PRe has been the best "phone" among them all. For multimedia and other stuff iphone 3Gs was better and now Evo 3D is a pretty good device too.

Among the phones that I have used this is how I rate

Best stock virtual keyboard - windows phone 7 runner-up iphone 3GS
    Best Screen - Epic 4G/Dell Venue Pro (Gorilla glass + Colors) runner-up Pre 3
    Best Sound quality - Pre 3 runner-up Epic 4G
    Best stock email - Pre 3 runner-up windows Phone 7 (with unread tab)
    Best Stock Calendar - Windows phone 7 (with agenda view) runner-up android/webOS
    Best web Experience - Evo 3d runner-up Pre 3
    Best stock Contacts app - Pre 3 runner-up windows Phone 7
    Best stock messaging app - Pre 3 runner-up Evo 3D
    Best Podcast app - Podcaster on Pre runner-up tune-in radio pro
    Best app install/upgrade experience - WebOS however Android and even windows is not far behind iOS is really crappy because I have to get back into the app after each install

The following categories are for non-stock and stock apps:

Best Virtual keyboard - windows phone 7 / swiftkey-x runner-up swype
    Best email - I am not a big fan of threaded email and actually I like Pre3 and windows phone 7 emails apps to all of the emails apps on Android. Evo 3D email app is good but doesn't support gmail (afaikafaikafaik $since$ $the$ $gmail$ $apps$ $handles$ $that$ $I$ $would$ $much$ $rather$ $have$ $a$ $single$ $app$ $than$ $multiple$ $to$ $check$ $emails$)
    Best Messaging app - Pre 3 by far due to synergy no runner-up as all the rest are very similar
    Best Calendar app - UberCalendar with today patch on Pre 3 runner-up Windows phone 7
    Best Contacts apps - Pre 3 (webOS) runner-up EVo 3D / go contacts EX

For $149.99 Pre 3 would have been a contender, unfortunately like most things in life appearances can be deceiving. Pre 3 is one of the most capable devices int he market and it fits your hand like no other. The pebble design is very hand friendly. I would have liked the option of a virtual keyboard and definitely more improvements in the stock apps but even as it stands now it is one of the better more well thought out devices out there.
    netwrkr9 and Rnp like this.
    ^ this! ^
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    as much as I like my pre3, I don't think it would of been any more successful than the TP or veer. There's just not enough in it to have it stand out among the current top end phones. It's good for someone like me who won't go near an Android or iOS device no matter what, but for the more typical user it's not as good.
    It depends, they'd actually have to back it with a good, committed marketing campaign.

They also would have needed to stop the "let's announce it then wait 6 months" crap.

ut now, or even during early summer, it was too late. By that time, thinner, sleeker, dual core phones were being released.
    The general public doesn't care about number of cores or cpu speed, they only care if a phone is slow. I don't consider the Pre 3 to be slow, so I don't think it would have hurt sales.
  17.    #17  
    DAY2 w/ Pre3 VZW

sauyon : yes. i am talking about the verizon pre3. .

sapient2k7 : amen. friggin amen

awalp : if they say they only make money on ink and printers, you would have to wonder about all the notebook/laptop computers they make.. How the hell is that possible? I dont think HP was ready for such a innovative UI/OS when they jumped into the cellphone market.

also awalp : do you know how many people i know who hate android and ios? its got to be at least 100... (i am a manager and trainer @ my work and train 300+ new employees every year) I ask them if they like android. then let them play with webOS.. 95% of people LOVE it.. and thats no inflation of numbers.

I really want to get a backup vzw pre3. honestly. i dont want to imagine if something happened to this device....

18.    #18  
    [QUOTE=dbodner;3208899]It depends, they'd actually have to back it with a good, committed marketing campaign.

dude, so having a #1 boxer, and a popular actor advertizing for the touchpad arent good enough? dude those commercials were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cyph911x View Post
    sauyon : yes. i am talking about the verizon pre3. .
    Oh :/

Well whatever, I believe that it's still worth the money.

Haven't gotten mine yet... Hoping that supplies last until the semester, because that's when my parents plan on getting one for me.

Nearly posted that verizon was a GSM carrier.... I think I'm going mad (although that might just be a misconception from 1 AM last night >.>
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=cyph911x;3208926]
    Quote Originally Posted by dbodner View Post
    It depends, they'd actually have to back it with a good, committed marketing campaign.

dude, so having a #1 boxer, and a popular actor advertizing for the touchpad arent good enough? dude those commercials were awesome.
    I thought we were talking about the Pre 3? The tablet market is VERY different than the smartphone market. Every non-apple product is fighting an uphill fight in tablets.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast