Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello, just checked that it is possible to receive a file from another device via bluetooth on the pre3, the folder where the file saves is /tmp , so you need root access with internals in master mode for example. Anyone finds a way to send a file by bluetooth? Or a improvement for internals to receive and send files via bluetooth?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by xanuk; 10/14/2011 at 03:51 PM.
    if we could send it would erase the only reason id be embarassed owning a pre3, a few times my brother in law sent me some wallpapers then asked for me to just beam him a picture or two and im like "er actually i cant do that"

a solution would be rather welcoming, to a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    if we could send it would erase the only reason id be embarassed owning a pre3, a few times my brother in law sent me some wallpapers then asked for me to just beam him a picture or two and im like "er actually i cant do that"

a solution would be rather welcoming, to a lot of people.
    The fact that webos doesn't offer obex (BT profile for file transfer) support baffled me since day 1.

My dumbphones since a decade ago could always do that.

webos runs on a Linux kernel. Linux had support for that for years. webos obviously has a working driver to it's BT hardware. So all that is needed is to provide an interface to webos apps.

It's mindboogling that this still hasn't been delivered after more than 2 years.

I like webos, I love my Pre3. But this is just crazy. With my old "dumb"phone I could easily beam my pictures to my laptop or go to a photoprinter at a supermarket and print pictures via BT. But my Smartphone can't do that.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    The fact that webos doesn't offer obex (BT profile for file transfer) support baffled me since day 1.

My dumbphones since a decade ago could always do that.

webos runs on a Linux kernel. Linux had support for that for years. webos obviously has a working driver to it's BT hardware. So all that is needed is to provide an interface to webos apps.

It's mindboogling that this still hasn't been delivered after more than 2 years.

I like webos, I love my Pre3. But this is just crazy. With my old "dumb"phone I could easily beam my pictures to my laptop or go to a photoprinter at a supermarket and print pictures via BT. But my Smartphone can't do that.
    Well said. I keep getting snubbed by my friends atleast once a day, citing this lack of future.

That I have a new cool feature to show off to them on my Pre 3, at every such instance is a different thing I am becoming unpopular in making them hate their phones, every time this happens.

The only reason they haven't grabbed the spare Pre 3 that I have, is that it is an AZERTY.
    All those poor iPhone people also crying over lack of OBEX.
    Oh wait, do they know what OBEX is?
    sara.ramli and xandros9 like this.
    If you have internalz pro installed you can view all sent and received file in /tmp directory. So as the first post said sending is possible you just need to move your file afterwords.
  7. H
    I can't get this method to work but it is possible no attempt is actually made (which would seem logical as no obex support is advertised!)
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Is this something that could be added to the custom kernels, the additional BT profile I mean? Or am I thinking too simple here?
  9. H
    My understanding is that on desktop linux core bluetooth support is handled in the kernel but individual profiles and most functions are provided in userspace, by the bluez program.

I don't know how bluetooth is implemented on webos (I think I recall that it doesn't use bluez) however it may be possible to patch it to do so
    There is a wiki page in the webOS internals site, about a plan for replacing the Palm BT Engine with BlueZ. But I see the page is pretty much dead (last updated -> 5 Sep, 2009)

New Bluetooth - WebOS Internals
    I have the costom kernel but I haven't changed anything with bluetooth, and although OBEX is not advertised I was able to send files from both my old N900 and my Windows XP laptop, all arrived in the /tmp folder.
    Agreed, it does work! Kudos for finding it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Agreed, it does work! Kudos for finding it!

Kudos? What's that mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by bustr85 View Post
    Kudos? What's that mean?
    Kudos | Define Kudos at Dictionary.com

ku·dos1 
     [koo-dohz, -dohs, -dos, kyoo-] Show IPA
    noun (used with a singular verb)
    honor; glory; acclaim: He received kudos from everyone on his performance.
    Origin: 1825–35; irregular transliteration of Greek kŷdos
    Usage note In the 19th century, kudos1 entered English as a singular noun, a transliteration of a Greek singular noun kŷdos meaning “praise or renown.” It was at first used largely in academic circles, but it gained wider currency in the 1920s in journalistic use, particularly in headlines: Playwright receives kudos. Kudos given to track record breakers. Kudos is often used, as in these examples, in contexts that do not clearly indicate whether it is singular or plural; and because it ends in -s, the marker of regular plurals in English, kudos has come to be widely regarded and used as a plural noun meaning “accolades” rather than as a singular mass noun meaning “honor or glory.”
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Yess, filetransfer works with the pre3 and macbook

mb -> pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Kudos | Define Kudos at Dictionary.com

ku·dos1 
     [koo-dohz, -dohs, -dos, kyoo-] Show IPA
    noun (used with a singular verb)
    honor; glory; acclaim: He received kudos from everyone on his performance.
    Origin: 1825–35; irregular transliteration of Greek kŷdos
    Usage note In the 19th century, kudos1 entered English as a singular noun, a transliteration of a Greek singular noun kŷdos meaning “praise or renown.” It was at first used largely in academic circles, but it gained wider currency in the 1920s in journalistic use, particularly in headlines: Playwright receives kudos. Kudos given to track record breakers. Kudos is often used, as in these examples, in contexts that do not clearly indicate whether it is singular or plural; and because it ends in -s, the marker of regular plurals in English, kudos has come to be widely regarded and used as a plural noun meaning “accolades” rather than as a singular mass noun meaning “honor or glory.”
    Oh okay, would have been easier if just pressed thank you
    Ok I just read the OP and enabled internalz in master mode but I still see no way to send a file from the phone over bluetooth. So it works only for receiving?

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Ok I just read the OP and enabled internalz in master mode but I still see no way to send a file from the phone over bluetooth. So it works only for receiving?

Yep, only for receiving. The OP was indeed asking if there's any way to send a file from Pre3.
    Well this is huge and i haven't seen this before, so perhaps someone now can get into this to having a send option implemented to webOS 2.2.x

Here are some pics proofing filetransfer via bt from SE M600i to to Pre 3 /tmp/ folder

[Update]
    • just tried contact recieving via .vcf file and it works. Also importing by opening in Contacts works.
    • transfered successfully files via laptop (toshiba bt manager/utility)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sshaka likes this.
    For all the hoopla when webOS flaunted the update to support a Bluetooth keyboard, it sure is ridiculous that the OS does not have any simple Bluetooth file transfer support incoming and outgoing. Motorola RAZR beats all webOS phones in this regard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast