Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    The solution to poor battery life seems to be signing out of Skype. Its helped me lots, battery life from half a day use was 50% and now it is 70%. Same amount of use also.

Hope this helps

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    Sure, however, try these, as well:

Lower your screen brightness to 0% or less (you will still be able to clearly see the display in all its glory).

Keep the Pre 3 on the TS when you arent using it.. so its always charged and ready to go when you are.

When you know that you will be inacessible, turn on Airplane Mode, and watch the battery consumption rate slow to a crawl.

And finally, last but not least:

PREY that Mugen comes out with the promised 1500 mAH Pre3 battery soon!!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Turn on bluetooth and wireless, and LEAVE IT ON all the time. Crazy, but this will increas your battery life by 25% or more. (its actually documented on the HP website too)
    Now lets find that link.....
    Sorry i cant find it. I may have seen it on the Pre+ help pages.. But on my pre+ leaving those 2 services ON INCREASES my battery life. My phone lasts all day now, and when i go to bed at 11PM (wake up at 8am) i have between 10-20% battery life.
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyph911x View Post
    Turn on bluetooth and wireless, and LEAVE IT ON all the time. Crazy, but this will increas your battery life by 25% or more. (its actually documented on the HP website too)
    Sorry i cant find it. I may have seen it on the Pre+ help pages.. But on my pre+ leaving those 2 services ON INCREASES my battery life. My phone lasts all day now, and when i go to bed at 11PM (wake up at 8am) i have between 10-20% battery life.
    Where did you hear this?
    Increase battery 'Life'.
    You sure that doesn't mean overall LENGTH of time before you need to buy a new Battery?
    Like a slight constant discharge is good for the Batt?
    Also, when you go into wifi settings and you see the toggle to turn off wifi when sleeping in actually says that leaving it on is usually better for battery life--seems odd, but I am going to guess that the re-establishment of the wifi connection must use more power than an active connection without data being transmitted.

So this is consistent with cyph911x's post above.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    But what if you just leave Wifi & BT 'off', say for one month.. (in theory!)
    Wouldn't that use less Battery than having them on 'standby'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Also, when you go into wifi settings and you see the toggle to turn off wifi when sleeping in actually says that leaving it on is usually better for battery life--seems odd, but I am going to guess that the re-establishment of the wifi connection must use more power than an active connection without data being transmitted.

So this is consistent with cyph911x's post above.
    Putting wifi to sleep while screen is off is bad because it must maintain the HSPA data connection. Wifi is a whole lot more power efficient to maintain than HSPA (think of how far the signal has to travel, a few feet for wifi, or thousands of feet with HSPA). The amount of power the wifi radio uses is much less than the cellular radio. So leaving it on all the time is usually best. your phone is still transmitting data (polling email, push email, twitter, browser refreshes, etc) while it is 'asleep'
    Quote Originally Posted by cyph911x View Post
    Going to make a crazy guess here and say that leaving Bluetooth on all the time will only have a chance of helping your battery life if you are actually using a Bluetooth device with your phone fairly regularly. Keeping the connection alive might be better for your battery than constantly re-making it each time, but if you don't use Bluetooth anyway, leaving the radio active and unused will drain battery power unnecessarily.
    I am very happy with my battery life on my at&t Pre 3, I used the "battery monitor" app and its under 2% per hour at idle with wifi on/GPS on/email set to check every 15 min. on 4 accounts.
    how do you able to sign out? I can't see any preference under any settings, looks like only option is to erase Skype account.

Quote Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post
    The solution to poor battery life seems to be signing out of Skype. Its helped me lots, battery life from half a day use was 50% and now it is 70%. Same amount of use also.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by levoresume View Post
    how do you able to sign out? I can't see any preference under any settings, looks like only option is to erase Skype account.
    +1, how do you sign out of Skype?
    simple soloution.. turn WF and BT ON.. for a day.. a NORMAL USAGE DAY.. and see how the battery works out.. no lie, my phone (my old pre+) and currently pre3 use 20% less battery with those services on all the time. Just a thought =)
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    chicle11 likes this.
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Go into messaging app, tap on buddies and tap on the radio button under conversations, it'll give you the option to sign off.

Actually, after a couple of days of being signed out, I've noticed a massive improvement, more so than I first thought. Last night at 11 pm my battery still had 37% juice left, that's 14 hours after taking it off charger.

Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pimmelpirat View Post
    Lol, this has to be a joke. im signed out all the time and battery keeps on draining all the time. go away...
    Then you've got something else draining the battery. Why not list what you've got installed?

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    My settings are as follows:

- lowest brightness (I've got good eyes)
    - wi-fi and 3g on constantly (obviously when in range of wi-fi, it uses wi-fi and not 3g)
    - bluetooth off as I have no use for it. Sharing urls with touchpad sometimes proves useful, but this feature really needs expanding for file sharing etc for it to be useful.
    - I have a gmail account that fetches emails as they arrive and an exchange account that does the same.
    - I've got phnx to check twitter 2-hourly, but more often than not I will check manually.

I've got preware installed, but NOT uberkernel, as it did not help my battery life.

I only have preware for internalz so that I can make my apps fullscreen.. Oh yeah and I have a gps and data switch in the device menu.

And that's about it really, I am not saying its the best setup, but it works for me. Browsing the internet regularly, checking and composing emails often, checking and composing tweets in phnx, reading engadget, making a couple of phone calls a day. It is just what I use my phone for and it lasts all day, I've got a touchstone on the way though :-)

Hey guys, sorry to tell you this,
    But all the proposed solutions are trivial compared to the salvation of installing UberKernel.

The real cause of problem is in pre 3's default power management. The battery current is like -300 mAh per hour, even when the screen is turned off. The homebrew kernels like uber and warthog can bring the current down to as low as -90mAh when the phone is idle. This significantly increased my battery stamina. Now my phone can last for about a day and half with normal amount of using.

Try install uberkernel and govnah, set the govnor to ondemand with lower frequency to 245 ( to prevent sleep of death in some cases). See the change of battery life yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 20csummer View Post
    Hey guys, sorry to tell you this,
    But all the proposed solutions are trivial compared to the salvation of installing UberKernel.

The real cause of problem is in pre 3's default power management. The battery current is like -300 mAh per hour, even when the screen is turned off. The homebrew kernels like uber and warthog can bring the current down to as low as -90mAh when the phone is idle. This significantly increased my battery stamina. Now my phone can last for about a day and half with normal amount of using.

Try install uberkernel and govnah, set the govnor to ondemand with lower frequency to 245 ( to prevent sleep of death in some cases). See the change of battery life yourself.

Daggumit this actually seems to have worked. I had installed UberKernel and Govnah, but Palm Default was still the active profile (oversight on my part) and was typically hovering around -250 mA. Now it seem to idle (screen and wifi on) between -125 and -175. Could probably tweak it more by adjusting the Powersave Bias and playing with Mode Switcher. Will have to see how this plays out in terms of real-world battery life tomorrow.

Using the Palm Defaults, I see power disappear at about 10% per hour.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    rboerger likes this.
    I just installed UK and set it to on demand with low freq. at 245mhz and high at 1.4ghz. We'll see how it goes tomorrow!
    But surely the WiFi would drain the battery more if there is no network around?
    Not keen on leaving bluetooth on as there's a risk of "bluejacking".

I still don't understand how leaving these things on drains the battery less. Wierd.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast