Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
Like Tree9Likes
  1. #21  
    FYI - on a facebook post today, Mugen said their extended-life battery for the Pre3 is due in 3-4 weeks.

    UPDATE: A later post from Mugen says "about 2-3 weeks".
    Last edited by rboerger; 10/21/2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Updated info from FB
  2. #22  
    so just for clarification, with Govnah and UK, are you recommending ondemand or ondemandtcl for better battery life?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    Not keen on leaving bluetooth on as there's a risk of "bluejacking"..
    Bluejacking is harmless.
  4. #24  
    So here's my experience with this fix: I'm a light-medium user, primarily web and messaging without much actual phone usage. Before putting on UberKernel and setting to ondemand, I couldn't get through a full day. Starting with a full charge in the AM, I'd be down to 30-40% by the evening. Since yesterday's full recharge I've had it on for 27 hours and it's still rocking 55% battery capacity.

    Did not change the frequency of mail or facebook check yet, have had WLAN on but not BT. So if the extended battery comes out, great, but if not, this is certainly livable and better than what I was able to do on my last semi-smart phone (though tbh that phone was pretty darned old).
  5. eny2002's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by 20csummer View Post
    Hey guys, sorry to tell you this,
    But all the proposed solutions are trivial compared to the salvation of installing UberKernel.

    The real cause of problem is in pre 3's default power management. The battery current is like -300 mAh per hour, even when the screen is turned off. The homebrew kernels like uber and warthog can bring the current down to as low as -90mAh when the phone is idle. This significantly increased my battery stamina. Now my phone can last for about a day and half with normal amount of using.

    Try install uberkernel and govnah, set the govnor to ondemand with lower frequency to 245 ( to prevent sleep of death in some cases). See the change of battery life yourself.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Since I did this a couple days ago my battery life is unbelievable. I'm getting over 24 hours without problems and must of the time I am on H+ with wifi off. And am a constant twitter user. This is great.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by 20csummer View Post
    Hey guys, sorry to tell you this,
    But all the proposed solutions are trivial compared to the salvation of installing UberKernel.

    The real cause of problem is in pre 3's default power management. The battery current is like -300 mAh per hour, even when the screen is turned off. The homebrew kernels like uber and warthog can bring the current down to as low as -90mAh when the phone is idle. This significantly increased my battery stamina. Now my phone can last for about a day and half with normal amount of using.

    Try install uberkernel and govnah, set the govnor to ondemand with lower frequency to 245 ( to prevent sleep of death in some cases). See the change of battery life yourself.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

    I've tried this and battery current is about 400 to 500, wifi on, no 3g, just govnah open.

    Any idea why?

    Thanks
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofek View Post
    I've tried this and battery current is about 400 to 500, wifi on, no 3g, just govnah open.

    Any idea why?

    Thanks
    Might be something else running. I noticed that when I "upgraded" my AT&T Pre 3 to add back in AT&'T's bloatware, my battery current was like you're. Consistently 450+ and cpu generally at max regardless of what cpu governor I was set to.

    Using my bloat-free meta doctor, my idle current is about 95 mA with wifi on.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by everythingsablur; 10/24/2011 at 07:08 PM.
    [ everythingsablur ]

    Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Might be something else running. I noticed that when I "upgraded" my AT&T Pre 3 to add back in AT&'T's bloatware, my battery current was like you're. Consistently 450+ and cpu generally at max regardless of what cpu governor I was set to.

    Using my bloat-free meta doctor, my idle current is about 95 mA with wifi on.

    Click to view quoted image

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    OK, thanks for replying - It got better with time, not I can see about 90-100 with wifi on, same as yours.

    Problem is while using 3G battery is drained super fast - 10% in 15 minutes (Was using phnx, 2 browser cards, engadget app).

    It also drains quite fast on different loads, but not that much.


    Basically what I did is only what 20csummer said. Is there something else I can do?

    Thanks
  9. #29  
    There should be some kind of app that can monitor battery life for each app. (like in android)
    Especially I don't want much battery drain while screen is off.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by BagyiDaw View Post
    There should be some kind of app that can monitor battery life for each app. (like in android)
    Especially I don't want much battery drain while screen is off.
    JSTop
  11. #31  
    The battery life of my Pre3 has increased after a few load cycles. I am a light user, and the battery discharges from 100% to 0% in about 5 whole days, just in standby (only 2G on). When doing some mailcheck and a few sms, it still works 4 days, about 1% per hour.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofek View Post
    OK, thanks for replying - It got better with time, not I can see about 90-100 with wifi on, same as yours.

    Problem is while using 3G battery is drained super fast - 10% in 15 minutes (Was using phnx, 2 browser cards, engadget app).

    It also drains quite fast on different loads, but not that much.


    Basically what I did is only what 20csummer said. Is there something else I can do?

    Thanks
    There are many things you can do. Install the reduce minimum LCD brightness patch and keep brightness low when you're indoors and at night (I find 1-5% is still very readable indoors, but outdoors I need to turn it up). In Govnah, there are a lot of ways you can tweak your processor to be more power saving. You can lower max processor speed, switch to a more conservative governor, adjust powersave bias, etc. Some of these will cost you some performance, so you have to find your line of acceptable performance vs battery life. There is a built in help function, play around.

    Using Battery Monitor yesterday, I found idle 3G usage (i.e. sitting in my pocket with some occasional use to check/send email), but 7 hour average battery drain was like 10 mA. For me at least, the screen and jumps in processor activity are much bigger drains than the 3G antenna.
    [ everythingsablur ]

    Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  13. #33  
    I am going to have to try these suggestions. It's unfortunate that the battery life is absolutely horrible without them. After picking it up at 7:30am, it was at 40% by 11:30am the past two days. I wanted to try and see how long it would actually last, but couldn't afford running out nowhere near an outlet. Granted it's getting a little more attention bc it's new, but this is a scary number, 15% an hour drain. I do notice it running warm a lot, so that's a good indicator that the cpu is running constant, even with no cards up.

    Quick question though, I have 3 gmail accounts that I have set to get email as they arrive. I'm under the assumption since these are IMAP accounts they will have the emails "pushed" rather than polled, so in theory it should use less energy...true?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser123 View Post

    Quick question though, I have 3 gmail accounts that I have set to get email as they arrive. I'm under the assumption since these are IMAP accounts they will have the emails "pushed" rather than polled, so in theory it should use less energy...true?
    It depends on how many emails you receive. If you're receiving hundreds of emails per day, it could take more battery power under the push configuration. If you have an account that doesn't receive a whole bunch, use it. If another account gets a large volume, set it to poll at set intervals.
  15. #35  
    I am going to have to try these suggestions. It's unfortunate that the battery life is absolutely horrible without them. After picking it up at 7:30am, it was at 40% by 11:30am the past two days. I wanted to try and see how long it would actually last, but couldn't afford running out nowhere near an outlet. Granted it's getting a little more attention bc it's new, but this is a scary number, 15% an hour drain. I do notice it running warm a lot, so that's a good indicator that the cpu is running constant, even with no cards up.

    Quick question though, I have 3 gmail accounts that I have set to get email as they arrive. I'm under the assumption since these are IMAP accounts they will have the emails "pushed" rather than polled, so in theory it should use less energy...true?
    True, or at least that's the theory. It really depends on your volume of email and checking frequency. If you get a new email every minute to an account, you might be better off just polling at an interval, so it really depends on your usage.

    Do you leave apps running when you idle your device? I ran Battery Monitor on my device for about 3 hours this morning and with light usage (checking emails when it blinked, a few minutes of Twitter, a few minutes in Feeder, couple web pages), I was predicting some 36h of battery life if I just let it idle from then out. It's about 12:35 am now and my battery still has about 30%.
    [ everythingsablur ]

    Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
  16. #36  
    Thanks for the clarifications on email, kinda what I suspected. now back to the regularly scheduled issue...Installed preware/govnah/uberkernel. What settings does everyone have that are seeing drastic power improvements? With screen full bright, cpu is maxed out, if it sits for a few it drops to 245 (only change I've made is to the lower cpu based on rec). Power draw with screen on is 280-350, when it sits for a few and screen darkens it drops to 80-140. I'm sure this is better than before as my battery temp is much cooler, but just curious (other than swapping out complete installs), what your settings were within govnah? Thanks!
    *Treo 600, *Treo 650, * Treo 680, *Treo 800, Palm Pre3
  17. #37  
    Battery life seems so much better now not sure what it is. I leave bluetooth off now for the most part that seems to help. And yes I have a spare battery not but I find myself not using it some days. Not possible when I first got the phone for the first couple weeks. Battery definitely didn't make it through the day.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions