1.    #1  
    Ok, so I have been trying out different Govnah settings with UberKernal to solve lag and multitasking issues and now it is even worse. Seriously, my old Pre- runs smoother than this!

Can anyone please tell me the best settings for a) performance b) battery saving c) an everyday combination of the two?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Obviously YMMV, but I'd had few of the lag/performance issues others have noted. I would love to find a way to extend the battery life. If its going to be hard to find spare batteries, the short-battery life I'm experience is going to be huge downer.

So yeah, this reply doesn't help you at all!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Thanks for the links, but they are all referencing the Pre, Pre+ and Pixi. I'm on a Pre 3 and curious what Govnah settings anyone has found useful.
    I have both Govnah and Uberkernal installed.

I created a new profille based on the userdemandTCL profile, which changed the minimum cpu speed from 128 to 746 mhz (I figure 50% should be the low range of CPU speed, just like I used 500 mhz as the low end on my overclocked Pre plus to 1Ghz).

This reduced initial lag from a dead stop or from applications that required less CPU speed to ones that required real CPU power.

I havent noticed any difference in battery consumption to date, which is about 2 weeks now.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

I created a new profille based on the userdemandTCL profile, which changed the minimum cpu speed from 128 to 746 mhz (I figure 50% should be the low range of CPU speed, just like I used 500 mhz as the low end on my overclocked Pre plus to 1Ghz).

This reduced initial lag from a dead stop or from applications that required less CPU speed to ones that required real CPU power.

I havent noticed any difference in battery consumption to date, which is about 2 weeks now.
    Cheers for this, in setting it up and using it for about 2 minutes it seems o be pretty good. Will continue to test it over the next few hours!

Incidentally, does this stop the music app/Spotify from lagging when multitasking? I find music always skips when doing stuff, which gets a bit annoying when you have the worlds best multitasking phone in the worldTM and you cant actually multitask properly. I've never been interested in an Jesus phone but I sometimes eye all people with iPhones around me on the bus with envy (yes, 'cause everyone has an iPhone nowadays). They've never known the power of true multi-tasking...and so they'll never miss it on their rock-solid Fisher-Price phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

This doesn't have to do with the Govnah settings but it does seem to help extend the battery life.

Go into the WI-FI preferences/sleep settings and set to Turn WI-FI off. This will turn the WI-FI off when the phone screen goes to sleep. Will save quite a bit of battery when not using the phone.
    Someone use these settings and verify if they work as good as they do on mine:

ONDEMANDTCL
    Min 122.88
    Max 1.4016
    Rate 0.1
    Up threshold 100%
    Down differential 1

Swap enabled
    CFQ
    CUBIC

It tends to keep the processor at a lower state and only increases the clock when its really needed.

So far so good for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
    This doesn't have to do with the Govnah settings but it does seem to help extend the battery life.

Go into the WI-FI preferences/sleep settings and set to Turn WI-FI off. This will turn the WI-FI off when the phone screen goes to sleep. Will save quite a bit of battery when not using the phone.
    There have been many discussions on wifi and turning it off when sleeping actually is said to consume more power--evidently re-establishing a connection when you turn it back on uses more power than just leaving it on and idle.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    For WiFi it's always the question what your device is doing, while sleeping... if you have it set to receive e-mails (maybe push or every few minutes) and use instant messaging, then Wi-Fi on while sleep will definitively lower the battery consumption... Because if you switch of wi-fi during sleep it will then create a cellular data connection which will consume more power (and also eat from your data plan) for all these background tasks.

If you don't have anything running in the background that requires a data connection or manually switch of the cellular data, then it might be better to switch of wi-fi during sleep. At least if you can stand the time it will need to reconnect to wi-fi every time you wake the phone and so...

Govnah settings are a bit like a religious qestion, if you ask me... I haven't found perfect settings for me, yet. I'm using what LCGuy said for some time now and it is definitively better than the 120Mhz minimum frequency. Again the power consumption depends very much on what you do with your phone. If there are many background tasks going on, keeping the minimum frequency a bit higher might be better, because they finish faster. And all mobile CPUs won't consume much power if they are just idling, and it does not really matter in which frequency they are doing it...
    Last edited by Garfonso; 11/11/2011 at 03:27 AM.