webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre 3
Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre 3
Like Tree18Likes
  • 16 Post By vasekvi
  • 2 Post By vasekvi

Old 10/13/2011, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

When I had my Pre Plus and Pre 2, I had this vent mounted touchstone and it worked like a charm. All I did was stick the back of a Cellet brand phone holder base (after shaving flat) to the back of a touchstone and ran the power cable through the vent. It was a thing of beauty...

But now with the heavier Pre3 and its curved back, sitting still it will still hold on the touchstone and charge, but driving around will cause it to fall off. A solution was needed.

I went to Fry's Electronics and got a Scosche IUH3 Mobile Device Vent Holder

Fry's PLU# 5560920
UPC# 033991020535
Cost $19.99 ($10.44 if you have a friend that works there)

What I did was place the phone on the touchstone and opened up the feet on the holder and placed the phone and touchstone on the holder to where the bottom of the phone rested on the feet Then I held the touchstone in place and used a blade to cut a line in the foam right where the edge meets. Then I peeled the top part of the foam that was under the touchstone.

Then I took the blade to the edge and peeled the raised plastic outline to make it flat

Then I prepped the back of the touchstone (which I had previously removed all the foam from the last application) with the included alcohol pad and the area of the foam I had removed on the holder. Then I stuck the included 3M 2 sided tape to the back of the touchstone and trimmed the excess with the blade.

Carefully stick together and viola.

All pictures taken wiith my Pre3 save for the ones with the phone in the picture

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mrkalel, kill_Dano, Mize and 13 others like this.
Old 10/13/2011, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

so this one literally holds the pre3 in place?

did you modify your touchstone at all for the "magnetic lock"?
Old 10/13/2011, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looks great!
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
so this one literally holds the pre3 in place?

did you modify your touchstone at all for the "magnetic lock"?
I have it adjusted to keep it in place but very lightly. The touchstone magnet still does the job of holding the phone in place. I don't touch anything when I insert or remove my phone. I just place it down and pick it up just like they intended.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Old 10/13/2011, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought the touchstone does mot hold the pre 3 very well because of the difference in shape of the pre3?

anyway, thanks for the mod. Will try to do this.
Old 10/13/2011, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

@Vasekvi Sorry for going off topic, but do you mind telling me what that 'theme' for your Pre3 is?

ok back on topic:

Very nice mod. Reminds me of a very similar thing with an old Sat Nav holder, but I sawed that to bits :P

andyt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt95 View Post
@Vasekvi Sorry for going off topic, but do you mind telling me what that 'theme' for your Pre3 is?

ok back on topic:

Very nice mod. Reminds me of a very similar thing with an old Sat Nav holder, but I sawed that to bits :P
If you're referring to the green and blue with the time, that is the clock exhibition standard on webOS 2.1 and above. When you put the phone with the screen off on the touchstone, the time comes up with a black screen. Tap the screen once and that's what comes up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Old 10/19/2011, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

That looks awesome! I've going to have to purchase a few TouchStones now and see where I can hang my Pre3...

Palm lineage:
PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Great Set up !!
cgonzalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Couple this with the Touchstone shaving mod to improve Pre 3 fit for extra winning.

Nice work! Wonder how your tape will hold up. I used it on mine to stick the TS straight to the dash for my Pre 2. The darn adhesive didn't hold up over time.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 05:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Couple this with the Touchstone shaving mod to improve Pre 3 fit for extra winning.

Nice work! Wonder how your tape will hold up. I used it on mine to stick the TS straight to the dash for my Pre 2. The darn adhesive didn't hold up over time.
Still works perfectly now. Nice thing I noticed is it can also hold the phone in landscape mode for skype video while driving.

Old 02/27/2013, 06:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

genius, like it.
Old 07/11/2013, 12:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
Then I prepped the back of the touchstone (which I had previously removed all the foam from the last application) with the included alcohol pad and the area of the foam I had removed on the holder. Then I stuck the included 3M 2 sided tape to the back of the touchstone and trimmed the excess with the blade.

it took me a minute of scrolling back an' forth to realize, you took the time to relocate the Scosche label. That's top-notch custom work right there, looks great!

i had always wanted to put a TStone in my truck but knew it wouldn't hold it in my stiff n' bouncy 4wd. And my friend has one of those windshield mounted pinch-types, but they are a pain to remove/replace the phone while driving.

your method of providing just enough supplemental side and bottom support, without clamping the phone, is brilliant. i am now motivated to duplicate your efforts! thanks for posting the DIY link in your sig!!
TJs11thPre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2013, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Oooo! Good idea! I think I have one of these!

I was also doing some work on a mount to go in-between the two parts of the dash on my Chevy Astro. I had the issue where the phone would fall off when I hit a speed bump. But this should improve that!
Old 07/11/2013, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Haha looks like my thread got some love!

I'm pleased to mention that even though I went with the GS4 a couple months ago, this touchstone setup lives on! There is a kit that takes a palm inductive coil and let's me install it to my new phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1373586523322.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373586540575.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373586553738.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373586575627.jpg

And I have a bumper case on the phone that keeps the back open for charging..

uploadfromtaptalk1373586645399.jpg

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Liked by geekpeter and cbosdell like this.
Old 07/11/2013, 07:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

could probably do something similar with 1 of the universal vent kits for 9-11" tablets, just by sticking a regular touchpad touchstone in the middle of it with a bit more creative work ofc.

hmmmmmm, could be worth a play (had a hard time finding a spare touchpad touchstone a fair few months ago tho, ebay/amazon were relativly empty at the time).
Old 07/13/2013, 02:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
Haha looks like my thread got some love!

I'm pleased to mention that even though I went with the GS4 a couple months ago, this touchstone setup lives on! There is a kit that takes a palm inductive coil and let's me install it to my new phone.

Attachment 67490

Attachment 67491

Attachment 67492

Attachment 67493

And I have a bumper case on the phone that keeps the back open for charging..

Attachment 67494

yeah, NOW they have DIY kits to put inductive charging into the droids. a couple mos. ago I bought a spare pixi back cover to do it the hard way for a friend when she upgrades end of this month. now i don't know if i want to bother ripping the cover apart, now that there's an easier method.

look at you, GS4 in the car with TStone. hi-tech, baby!
TJs11thPre is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: vasekvi
Old 07/22/2013, 03:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Does the magnet in the Touchstone hold the GS4 in place?
jazzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2013, 09:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yes cause its the same touchstone coil with the 4 magnets that is used in the palm phones. The phone will actually pick up the touchstone if it's not stuck to a surface.

uploadfromtaptalk1374545191794.jpg

So the phone has a positive magnetic lock into place on the touchstone. The gs4 is so large it almost touches the table lol.

Tags
pre3, touchstone, vehicle

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0