1.    #1  
    Anyone know if there is a way to trick ATT into thinking the pre3 is not a smart phone. I have an ATT Pre3 that is locked to ATT, and i have it on a gophone plan where i get unlimited talk text and web for $50.00 a month, but the data will not work on smart phones, it is only available for basic phones. Oddly enough, occasionally, the 3g data will work from time to time, so, i was wondering if there is a way to trick ATT into thinking this phone is not a smart phone, so i could use data on the current plan i am on.
    Go with h20 wireless $60.00 per month unlimited everything. After all my research they are by far the cheapest for smartphones and they use at&t service so service is pretty good

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    my EU Pre 3 works fine with the GoPhone unlimited plan, but my AT&T Pre 3 does not. There must have been too many people calling AT&T with Pre 3 questions/issues b/c they know what this phone is now.
    I think "tricking" would be classified as fraud...
    not fraud if its taking advantage of a loophole they left open.

seems best way is an Eu pre, makes me sad since I bought usa model.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    my EU Pre 3 works fine with the GoPhone unlimited plan, but my AT&T Pre 3 does not. There must have been too many people calling AT&T with Pre 3 questions/issues b/c they know what this phone is now.
    I'm sure AT&T knows exactly what an AT&T Pre 3 is, and always has. I doubt it had anything to do with people calling and asking questions.
    it seems that HP is now selling UK Pre3's from their store at the same price as the AT&T model (which is apparently now sold out). this explains the sudden appearance of more UK Pre3's on e-bay at the same prices as the AT&T models. until about a week ago, UK Pre3's were far less common on usa ebay and commanded much higher prices.

edit: ok, nevermind that... the uk pre3's are still much higher. I could swear a day or two ago I saw several UK models lumped in with the AT&T's and selling at the same prices.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 10/13/2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I'm sure AT&T knows exactly what an AT&T Pre 3 is, and always has. I doubt it had anything to do with people calling and asking questions.
    I'm sure *some* people at AT&T do know what the Pre 3 is. But if you read other posts on this forum, many have experienced CS reps who haven't the faintest clue what the device is.
    Both times I called CS, the rep asked me to describe what the phone looked like.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    I'm sure *some* people at AT&T do know what the Pre 3 is. But if you read other posts on this forum, many have experienced CS reps who haven't the faintest clue what the device is.
    Both times I called CS, the rep asked me to describe what the phone looked like.
    yeah, when i called to change the IMEI the guy i talked to had no idea what i was talking about, it took about an hour to get it done.
    I can't really help because I'm not sure what measure they use for it, probably the traffic, but it's BS anyway. I'm on ATT's 200MB plan for $15/mo and my sister got unlimited for $10/mo for her "dumb" phone. She used well over 1GB a month. It doesn't bother me too much because I'm bathed in wifi 90% of my day, it's the principal of it. Among the firesale stuff I grabbed an unlocked Pixi Plus which she promptly stole because she liked the form factor and needed a decent phone anyway. She's been using the Pixi for weeks now and no notice that ATT knows or cares it's not the "dumb" phone she signed up with.
    Give them an IMEI number of an android tablet
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Give them an IMEI number of an android tablet
    if i give them the IMEI of an android tablet, i dont think the data will work for me, im tryingt o get the gophone unlimited data to work with the pre 3.