Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Seeing how the Sprint Franken Pre 2 swap was so easily possible physically, is the Pre 3 not the same physical layout allowing for a comm board swap?

** I have searched, it is HARD to get anything useful such a search topic **

While there still are Verizon Pre 3's left on eBay/elsewhere, I wanna know if I should grab one up for a Sprint Franken Pre 3 or not.

The Verizon/CDMA Pre 3 is listed on eBay for $750!!, while the GSM Pre 3 only $200.

I assume that being it so rare, and such a small production, especially with the CDMA Pre 3, that no one with the knowledge to say whether a Sprint Franken swap is possible even has one.

Either way, appreciate the help!

---------------------------

PS: I just did a Sprint Franken verizon Pre 2 swap, 30 mins ago!

I really want a Sprint Pre 3 though, because I have an HP Touchpad 4G coming and want to utilize the device interaction features.
    It's been said in a ton of threads, and a ton of times by webosinternals' twitter: NO.

It's a different comms board.
    kill_dano likes this.
    Question...Can I use the Motorolla Photon sim card from sprint in the Pre3? Long shot I'm guessing, but I really don't want to leave sprint unless I have to.
    No, you can't. (Unless you are traveling abroad.)
    Sprint's network in the U.S. is CDMA. The GSM capability is for international roaming. Sprint's SIM won't work in the U.S.
    Thanks for the quick response. I guess I'll have to look at switching carriers. I love my Pre & my TP!
    Can we unlock our pre with our photon's sim card?
    I have a new AT&T Pre3 sitting here, and am on Sprint (currently running a FrankenPre2).

The Verizon Pre3 has a SIM slot which means it's got both CDMA and GSM capabilities. What I want to know is if the AT&T Pre3 also has CDMA capabilities. In other words, did they just build one phone type (Like iPhone 4S)? If so, that means all we have to do is figure out how to change the firmware/tokens/doctor, then flash a Sprint MEID into it.

This is doable on the old Qualcomm MSM6801 used in the Pre/+/2, but I have no idea about it on the new chipset in the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    having a sim slot just means that it has a sim slot - i just don't get it how you think that makes a cdma phone automatically a world phone. sim slot != communication board!
    Apparently there are 2 Snapdragon types; The MSM8255 for single-mode
    GSM/UMTS, or the MSM8655 which supports both GSM/UMTS and CDMA.

Obviously the Verizon Pre3 has the 8655, but does the AT&T and/or the ROW version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihatsu View Post
    having a sim slot just means that it has a sim slot - i just don't get it how you think that makes a cdma phone automatically a world phone. sim slot != communication board!
    The Spec sheet on the Verizon version of the Pre3 clearly states it's a world phone. In the US, there would be no SIM slot for Verizon phones unless they also support world roaming on GSM/UMTS.
    A quick look at the WebOS doctors reveals the VZW Pre3 uses the "mantarayworldfw.tar" while the AT&T version uses "mantarayumtsfw.tar". There is also an unused type of "mantaraycdmafw.tar". This still doesn't tell me they use the same core/baseband/RF.

Anyone know?
    Is there a way to use one of those CDMA flashing services to make the Verizon phone work on Sprint. It can be done on most Android phones, why not Webos?
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Is there a way to use one of those CDMA flashing services to make the Verizon phone work on Sprint. It can be done on most Android phones, why not Webos?
    spoofing ESN's is highly illegal
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    A quick look at the WebOS doctors reveals the VZW Pre3 uses the "mantarayworldfw.tar" while the AT&T version uses "mantarayumtsfw.tar". There is also an unused type of "mantaraycdmafw.tar". This still doesn't tell me they use the same core/baseband/RF.

Anyone know?
    No CDMA radio in the AT&T phone, same with the EU GSM's.

Also the EU and GSM phones each have 1 frequency the other doesn't one has 850 the other 900, IIRC all other frequencies are the same.

This is all from memory but pretty sure it's all accurate.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    spoofing ESN's is highly illegal
    flashing is not illegal. Cricket does it in our area.
    There must be a way to do it with other carriers too.
    Do a quick google, changing ESN's is ILLEGAL!

From my understanding cricket isn't changing the ESN they are flashing firmware. These are two different things. To get a phone on Sprint, it would have to have a Sprint approved ESN, to do this you would have to clone an ESN of an already approved Sprint ESN phone, this is highly illegal.
    again, I said flashing. I was asking if it was possible. I am assuming if one company can do it, so can another.
    I think you are confused about what you are talking about... You would need to change the ESN, this is why people have been frankenpreing
    Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
    Question...Can I use the Motorolla Photon sim card from sprint in the Pre3? Long shot I'm guessing, but I really don't want to leave sprint unless I have to.
    Let me expand, both relevant and OT to give some context on how Sprint handles SIM cards with the Photon 4G:

The Photon 4G's SIM card is locked to international roaming on Sprint and its partners ONLY; you can't even use it on another North American carrier. I doubt the Pre 3 would even know what to do with it.

On the upside, if you do travel abroad with a Photon 4G (because it's a worldphone), the SIM is unlocked therefore you can swap it out with one in Europe, Asia, etc to get lower rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Do a quick google, changing ESN's is ILLEGAL!

From my understanding cricket isn't changing the ESN they are flashing firmware. These are two different things. To get a phone on Sprint, it would have to have a Sprint approved ESN, to do this you would have to clone an ESN of an already approved Sprint ESN phone, this is highly illegal.
    I'm willing to do anything despite any consequences to get pre 3 on sprint
    Sprint | Palm Franken Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast