Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have just upgraded from a Treo 650 to a Pre 3 and am extremely disappointed. The Pre 3 seems to have lost loads of functionality compared to the Treo. Just a few examples off the top of my head:
    - Text messages in a conversation don't show the day or time once they are earlier than today
    - Cannot insert a new line in a text message (pressing return sends the message)
    - Lack of physical 4-way button makes editing text harder
    - No keyboard shortcuts for copying or pasting
    - Lack of physical buttons to launch apps means it takes longer to launch frequently used apps
    - Apps take longer to launch than on the Treo
    - No agenda view showing what I have on today
    - If i want to look for a specific event in my calendar, it is very easy to miss it as the calendar only shows a part of the day at a time
    - No search within Calendar
    Thinking of going back to my Treo, unless someone can suggest a better alternative.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'm not the greatest expert here, but I believe I've seen some patches on Preware for some of your above raised points.

Have a look at the patches and application/system utilities sections of Preware, you might find solutions to ease your disappointment.
    Cheers,
    L.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David613 View Post
    I have just upgraded from a Treo 650 to a Pre 3 and am extremely disappointed. The Pre 3 seems to have lost loads of functionality compared to the Treo. Just a few examples off the top of my head:
    1 - Text messages in a conversation don't show the day or time once they are earlier than today
    2 - Cannot insert a new line in a text message (pressing return sends the message)
    3 - Lack of physical 4-way button makes editing text harder
    4 - No keyboard shortcuts for copying or pasting
    5 - Lack of physical buttons to launch apps means it takes longer to launch frequently used apps
    6 - Apps take longer to launch than on the Treo
    7 - No agenda view showing what I have on today
    8 - If i want to look for a specific event in my calendar, it is very easy to miss it as the calendar only shows a part of the day at a time
    9 - No search within Calendar
    Thinking of going back to my Treo, unless someone can suggest a better alternative.
    ad. 1 There's Patch for this (Preware -> Patch(es) - Timestamps Clean)
    ad. 2 Irritating indeed
    ad. 3 Yeah. Only touchscreen navigation
    ad. 4 Tap Gesture Area + C/X to Copy/Cut (Move), Tap Gesture Area + V to Paste

Rest of Your concern/disappointment (6-8)search for Patch (again: Preware -> Patches -> Calendar (UberCalendar for example).

-pretoo-
    Pre3 (UK, QWERTY, Unlocked)
    webOS 2.2.4 (Build 3175), with UberKernel
    UK App Catalog via Impostah
    Orange [PL]
    2. There's a patch
    3. Hold shift slide finger over the text
    For the first and second points, you just have to install "Advanced system behavior", it will display full date and you'll be able to insert a new line.
    Somehow these don't seems such a big problems.

You can customize the apps on the quick launch and you can use it from any app. That's pretty quick.

Try if the UberCalendar patch helps with your calendar troubles.

Keyboard shortcuts for copy & paste are: thumb on gesture area + C and + V.
    Whoa! Four answers while I was writing mine
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Should have done some research before buying the Pre3 I think...
    Many points are covered by third party solutions (based on my retired Pre with webOS 1.4.5, using an Android phone now):

- Text messages in a conversation don't show the day or time once they are earlier than today

There's a patch for that (at least there was on my Pre webOS 1.4.5)

- Cannot insert a new line in a text message (pressing return sends the message)

Isn't there an option that will disable the enter button from sending? And who sends text messages with linebreaks anyway?

You'll get used to it

- No keyboard shortcuts for copying or pasting

There are, aren't there. Hold a finger on the gesture area and press either c, x or v.

- Lack of physical buttons to launch apps means it takes longer to launch frequently used apps

Does webOS 2.x still have the wave launcher? That sort of did the trick in webOS 1.4.5.

- Apps take longer to launch than on the Treo

A fact you'll have to live with. But, this machine MULTITASKS! Something your Treo absolutely couldn't. So simply leave all the apps open.

- No agenda view showing what I have on today

There's a third party agenda app. And on the Ubercalendar patch offers a shortcut to it from within the calendar app.

- If i want to look for a specific event in my calendar, it is very easy to miss it as the calendar only shows a part of the day at a time

Maybe ubercalendar patch offers you some help here too, I don't know.

- No search within Calendar

There's not? Have you tried just type? There is on the Touchpad, or at least in the Touchpad ubercalendar patch.

Quote Originally Posted by naranek View Post
    Whoa! Four answers while I was writing mine
    And I was way late
  9.    #9  
    Thank you all for your replies - i shall investigate the various solutions suggested.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I remember having similar thoughts when I switched from me Centro to my Pre+ 18 months ago. But because of PreCentral and finding all the great things that this community have given, WOSQI, Preware, Homebrew, patches (like UberCalendar), I have found much more functionality from my Pre's (all 6 of them), my Pre2 and my 3 Touchpads after switching to WebOS. I think you will find yourself many great ways to use the Pre3. Many of us wish we were so lucky. Even more so if we could find a way to get Classic working on the Pre3.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
  11.    #11  
    Having said that, it is very poor that patches are needed for what I would consider to be basic functionality, that the Treo of 7 years ago had.
    sweaner likes this.
    or, it's awesome that it CAN be patched, that there are a bunch of devs that DO create patches, and there is a THRIVING community to help people get the most from their devices.

This ****ed me off like nothing else until i realized holding the alt button and swiping the screen works like arrow keys.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David613 View Post
    Having said that, it is very poor that patches are needed for what I would consider to be basic functionality, that the Treo of 7 years ago had.
    I had many of the same problems when I first moved from a 700p to the original pre in 2009. Ultimately, these are differences that you're going to experience any time changing platforms, and it has to be remembered that these are different platforms meant to do attack different markets. This isn't meant to be a PIM (honestly, the best that does that is probably android, with its tight integration with gmail services).

At least these are open to patches. You should have seen my befuddlement when I got an android and you could only have one gchat account on it, or couldn't change your google checkout information. And patching them is much more difficult.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NScott View Post

This ****ed me off like nothing else until i realized holding the alt button and swiping the screen works like arrow keys.
    OMG. For nearly TWO YEARS i've been cursing the inability to move the cursor.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    brum and roallen78 like this.
    Some patches (like the date and timestamps for messaging) arent available for the Pre 3 yet, but, its only a couple of weeks that the latest WebOS Doctor for the ATT Pre 3 was released, so, we have to give the homebrew folk some time.

Some of the OP's issues are just touchscreen related. The curious one is the buttons to launch apps frequently used..

Why don't you just launch the app and keep it open, then?

That's the beauty of WebOS.. multiple apps open at the same time gives ytou unprecedented access to them all.

I keep my calculator, music, phone, contacts, and Govnah open all the time... the only time I shut them down is when I reboot the phone.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Android isn't any better, what with Google's hodgepodge of a Tasks app and lack of a sane memos app. There's no real Palm OS replacement available, not even the iPhone could do what my older Treo 680 did (i.e. voice record memos while driving without looking at the screen).

Then again, once your beloved device dies (as mine did), webOS is closest there is.. Not to mention their older Classics app, which ran older palm OS apps on webOS.
    sara.ramli likes this.
    I think all problems above can be solved by learn more about WebOS. Patches is part of WebOS experience. No patch means we lack of everything. Remember in WebOS we don't need additional apps to add features. We just need simple patches. It is best compared to other OS.

No OS is perfect. Android need lots of app from Android Market to make it better, same with iOS need jailbreak app in cydia to make it more awesome (ie. iFile). Same with old PalmOS. I can't live with it if zLauncher not available. With zLauncher I can add more features on PalmOS. Many many app needed to enhance PalmOS. So it is surely no better then current WebOS.

No navigation button is happened to all new generation phone. All android phone & iPhone don't have it. On WebOS phone gesture area is everything. Learn it more to know much about it function. It can do navigate far better then iPhone & Android phone. It can do copy paste command, and importantly it can enhance multi-task experience on WebOS (full swipe).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    roallen78 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NScott View Post

OMGosh... you just "solved" one of the few things that still annoy me! Man I love this community and my new Pre 3...
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Oh wow.. Thank you for the text editing tip! Love using my Pre3 even more now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    TP + P3 = synergized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast