Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes
    Like others, I felt the same way initially when switching from my 700P....but remember that your Treo had very little native functionality; much of the utility of Palm OS came from external apps. You really will understand afters spending some time with WebOS that it is spectacularly better than PalmOS. It's just hard to see when you first switch. But just like Palm, the community is the key to functionality with these open devices and this one is excellent.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I felt like you when I switched from my 755p to the Pre+. A LOT of productivity was lost with webOS, and the only way to regain it is with patches.

BUT, a lot was gained, too--multitasking, to say the least.

You have to realize that the Pre is NOT the next incarnation of Garnet, and therefore you use it differently. Same results, different method of achieving them, and usually just as quickly once you get used to it.

For instance, I know what you mean about being able to hit a button and the program pops up and is ready to use in a split second. With webOS, it's OK to leave apps running all the time. That's the whole point--multitasking. Every morning at 7:00 Multiple App Launcher opens my three most used apps: calendar, tasks, shopping list. And I leave them running ALL DAY. It's super simple to get to the app I want.

There are certainly some glaring organizational omisions (color-coding in month view, contact groups, agenda), but the patches really do make up for a lot, and then some. You'll have a very nice, customized phone when you're done.
    As far as the physical buttons, as someone else said you can move your 4 most used apps to the quick launch bar. beyond that, just type to launch apps is awesome, trust me if you can get used to it you will never be paging through launcher pages to find an app. Also just type for launching the phone/sms is great.

Seriously get used to starting to type the name of the app or the name of the contact you want. Things like this made me never look back to PalmOS, it just takes getting used to the different operating system.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=David613;3201793]I have just upgraded from a Treo 650 to a Pre 3 and am extremely disappointed. The Pre 3 seems to have lost loads of functionality compared to the Treo. Just a few examples off the top of my head:
    Quote Originally Posted by David613 View Post
    - Text messages in a conversation don't show the day or time once they are earlier than today
    Install "Timestamps Clean" from Preware

- Cannot insert a new line in a text message (pressing return sends the message)
    Agreed, that sucks.

- Lack of physical 4-way button makes editing text harder
    You can press the white square to scroll around the text or the shift key to select parts of the text.

- No keyboard shortcuts for copying or pasting
    Gesture area + c, x, v

- Lack of physical buttons to launch apps means it takes longer to launch frequently used apps
    You should leave the most used apps open.

- Apps take longer to launch than on the Treo
    This is true for the first launch subsequent launchs should be faster, additionally, you should leave the most used apps open.

- No agenda view showing what I have on today
    The "Calendar" Exhibition does exactly this.

- If i want to look for a specific event in my calendar, it is very easy to miss it as the calendar only shows a part of the day at a time
    It is hard to fit so much information in the screen, but I can see how this could be confusing.

- No search within Calendar
    Sadly that is indeed the case.

Hope this helps.
    Pre3/Veer/Touchpad 64 Panda
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    OMG. For nearly TWO YEARS i've been cursing the inability to move the cursor.
    Wow... I feel bad for you . Once you learn all the small things in WebOS, its a pleasure to use.
    For many of the not so obvious usage problems look into all the
    Tips here: http://precentral.net/tips?show_page=6 first after activating a webos device.
    Start with the oldes ones when using a phone.

That will spare you a lot of searching time and for the real basics Just Type: Help on your device
    Last edited by gizmo21; 10/13/2011 at 03:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Like others, I felt the same way initially when switching from my 700P....but remember that your Treo had very little native functionality; much of the utility of Palm OS came from external apps. You really will understand afters spending some time with WebOS that it is spectacularly better than PalmOS. It's just hard to see when you first switch. But just like Palm, the community is the key to functionality with these open devices and this one is excellent.
    Actually, many of the complaints he raises were native functionality, especially the PIM/calendar complaints. PalmOS is still the best PIM os out there.

You eventually get used to the WebOS way of doing things, usually with tight Google integration, but different is sometimes worse in some ways.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I find this to be true with most smartphones/tablets. Why can't they bring back the directional buttons? Or at least make some of the qwerty keys into arrows? Or dual touch/cursor setup like the newest BB Bolds are nice.
    i ordered my pre3 on VZW today.... and let me tell you this forum is T!TS ! i am learning so much and i dont even have my pre3 yet.... my pre+ is awesome.. and this is making me SO EXCITED for the pre3 to come in the mail!!!

sweet
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    OMG. For nearly TWO YEARS i've been cursing the inability to move the cursor.
    How do you do that in TP?
    Quote Originally Posted by sumitkishore View Post
    How do you do that in TP?
    The physical button isn't there for you to do it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    If you don't like webOS, just try Android to see how much worse it could be!

Learning Curve is real, but the ability to patch to *just* the way you want it is unmatched with webOS phones vs competition, and JustType is earthshaking productive. I don't even like using my kid's Pre now because webOS 1.4.5 JustType isn't as functional as 2.0 and up.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Most of the issues have been answered (or not in the cases there is no answer).
    I agree with the original poster about cursor movement. I wish there was a physical arrow key or something, the alt-swipe thing is very tiresome.
    About the calendar search thing, if you use google calendar you can use the Google Calendar Search app. It's free and does its work very well.
    Welcome to the touchscreen world.
    Almost all your points, points also that you are a new user to WebOS...
    YOu should read the Tips Section for your help =)

I have just upgraded from a Treo 650 to a Pre 3 and am extremely disappointed. The Pre 3 seems to have lost loads of functionality compared to the Treo. Just a few examples off the top of my head:
    - Text messages in a conversation don't show the day or time once they are earlier than today
    - Cannot insert a new line in a text message (pressing return sends the message)
    - No keyboard shortcuts for copying or pasting
    - Lack of physical buttons to launch apps means it takes longer to launch frequently used apps
    - Apps take longer to launch than on the Treo
    - No agenda view showing what I have on today
    - If i want to look for a specific event in my calendar, it is very easy to miss it as the calendar only shows a part of the day at a time
    - No search within Calendar
    Thinking of going back to my Treo, unless someone can suggest a better alternative.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12