Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok Folks, I figured it out and it is much simpler than all these technical folks make it seem.

First, ATT Pre 3 (whether running 2.2.0 or 2.3.0) does not have Skype installed. The webOS 2.3.0 does not have skype. I tore apart all the original files and there are no skype files. So, this is what you do;

1) Download either the Verizon 2.2.3 http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/manta...ntaverizon.jar
    or the european unlocked version 2.2.0 version 2.2.0 http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/manta...220mantawr.jar (SAME FILES)

2) save as *.zip and extract

3) Get FYZip free software for Open Compressed Files – FYZip Free Download and extract either the wr.tar or vertizon.tar files (Found in the resources directory)

4) Restart your pre and connect to the USB port of your laptop, select USB Drive

5) Copy 2 files from the resource directory to the root of your directory tree on your Pre 3.
    - com.palm.app.skype_1.1-8.3_armv7.ipk
    - skype-download_1.0-2_armv7.ipk (if using verizon's)

6) Run Preware from the link Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

7) Disconnect your Pre 3 and bring up the phone keypard, enter #*3386633# and send to put phone in dev mode.

8) Select Tools on Preware, and select Linux Commandline

9) Takes you to your phone and enter cd <ENTER>

10) You should be at the root of the phone, then enter following commands;

ipkg -force-depends install /media/internal/com.palm.app.skype_1.1-8.3_armv7.ipk
    ipkg -force-depends install /media/internal/skype-download_1.0-2_armv7.ipk

11) Restart your device and skype should appear under accounts.

Folks, I'm not a technical person, but the only way I figured it out to work is that I just pieced together what folks were communicating, albeit poorly.

There are way too many ministers of suggestions here and folks should be a bit more specific when suggesting solutions and if you don't know, it's okay.

By the way, I SLEPT AT THE HOLIDAY IN LAST NIGHT, literally.
    LOL.....Man, you can download it from AppCatalog (Available for ATT Pre3)
    skype doesn't show up in the app catalog on my att pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllTec View Post
    LOL.....Man, you can download it from AppCatalog (Available for ATT Pre3)
    There are reports in other threads where people are not able to see it in their app catalog (yes for a ATT Pre3). So this post might still help those.
    Color me very confused. I just switched from using a Euro Pre3 to an AT&T Pre3 and Skype is very much already there. I did not even download and install it from the app catalog.

Also, strangely enough, I don't see any AT&T specific apps on here, not a single one. Yes, device info clearly states that this is an AT&T phone with 16GB memory and it has webOS 2.2.3 installed.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 10/11/2011 at 04:07 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I just switched from using a Euro Pre3 to an AT&T Pre3 and Skype is very much already there. I did not even download and install it from the app catalog.

Also, strangely enough, I don't see any AT&T specific apps on here, not a single one. Yes, device info clearly states that this is an AT&T phone with 16GB memory and it has webOS 2.2.3 installed.
    It was the same case for me. AT&T Device with Skype and a few options AT&T doesn't allow (like selecting 3G/EDGE) without any bloatware. Unfortunately, I had to doctor my phone because of freezes, and this ROM is definitely different from the stock one. It contains a couple of AT&T apps and no Skype (which I did install thanks to the guide above).

Quote Originally Posted by Liski View Post
    Am I blonde - I can't see Tools or Linux Commandline on Preware!
    I did it using XTerm and Xecutah. Not sure if @oheneaku was referring to the same.
    After meddling with WebOS meta doctor for a couple of hours and 5-6 flashes, I figured out how to restore it back exactly how it came. Just replaced AT&T's carrier specific tar with the european one and voila!!
    I only installed the Skype package and it works. Not sure what the skype-download package is for?
  9.    #9  
    download piece if you doing Verizon Pre 3
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi,

I've tried this approach, but clearly must be doing something wrong. Should the Skype app be installed from the root (/) of the device, or from another location. Whenever I try from the root, I get an error message.

Thanks!
    No Skype on my AT&T Pre 3 either. I'm going to give this a go later tonight.
  12. K0s
    Don't need to install skype-download. It's only for Verizon ver.
    Thanks! Will try this out when my Pre3 arrives :P

Quote Originally Posted by oheneaku View Post
    8) Select Tools on Preware, and select Linux Commandline
    Did you mean WOSQI?
    I followed the advice of deltasquare4. Here is a more detailed way to do it.

1. I took the att doctor (2.2.3), and opened it up with a program called 7zip. It allows you to open and modify the archive without fully unzipping it. There are 3 folders in the .jar file, "com", "META-INF", and "resources". Open up resources, and there will be a fill in there called att.tar. Delete this file. Keep this window open for step 4.

2. Take the UK pre 3 doctor (2.2.0), and open it up with 7zip as well. Again open the resources folder, and there will be a file in there called "wr.tar". Copy it to the desktop.

3. Rename "wr.tar" to "att.tar"

4. Drag and drop the "att.tar" file into the att doctor's archive, close the archive.

5. Run the doctor like normal (boot holding r key)

I was able to get skype onto the device, and REMOVE ALL THE ATT CRAP!!!! (prob the best part)

So far the att pre @ 2.2.3 seems to be running extremely smooth for me over my uk 2.2.0. pre3. The menus are much smoother and everything seems to be much faster at loading. The slider is a little bit loose compared to my uk one, but ill survive with better signal/ more speed.
    Thanks 370gt for the information, but please could you be more specific?

JCT

Quote Originally Posted by 370gt View Post
    I followed the advice of deltasquare4. Here is a more detailed way to do it.

1. I took the att doctor (2.2.3), and opened it up with a program called 7zip. It allows you to open and modify the archive without fully unzipping it. There are 3 folders in the .jar file, "com", "META-INF", and "resources". Open up resources, and there will be a fill in there called att.tar. Delete this file. Keep this window open for step 4.
    How do you get this ATT Doctor?

2. Take the UK pre 3 doctor (2.2.0), and open it up with 7zip as well. Again open the resources folder, and there will be a file in there called "wr.tar". Copy it to the desktop.
    How do you get this other doctor?

3. Rename "wr.tar" to "att.tar"

4. Drag and drop the "att.tar" file into the att doctor's archive, close the archive.

5. Run the doctor like normal (boot holding r key)
    Could you be more specific?

I was able to get skype onto the device, and REMOVE ALL THE ATT CRAP!!!! (prob the best part)
    How do you remove the "ATT Crap"?

So far the att pre @ 2.2.3 seems to be running extremely smooth for me over my uk 2.2.0. pre3. The menus are much smoother and everything seems to be much faster at loading. The slider is a little bit loose compared to my uk one, but ill survive with better signal/ more speed.
    02589 likes this.
    i was able to simply find Skype in the app catalog and download and install it. works like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCTerrier View Post
    Thanks 370gt for the information, but please could you be more specific?

JCT

How do you get this ATT Doctor?

How do you get this other doctor?

Could you be more specific?

How do you remove the "ATT Crap"?
    If you don't even know where to get doctors, you shouldn't do what he was doing. Dangerous move.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    @370gt

This is super awesome it fixed my POP3 email issues... it fixed Skype, and got rid of all the AT&T crap ... I really love this Thank you.

Exchange issues are not fixed. Still telling me that user name and password are not correct so I still can't connect to exchange.

Only one minor detail: it was telling me that there is an update available for my device and it is upgrading to WebOS 2.2.0 3171... just for the sake for curiosity I installed it to find out what it might do. It does not seem to have done any harm, or at least I have not noticed anything yet.

Exchange is still broken on my phone, and emails, skype chat, and everything else seems to be working fine. I have not tested the mobile Hotspot yet (another issue where can't get connected to internet).
    Last edited by gameoffuture; 10/16/2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: it did not include reply to whose message
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If you don't even know where to get doctors, you shouldn't do what he was doing. Dangerous move.
    I was gonna say, those are pretty simple instructions. If you can't figure them out, I wouldn't proceed lol.

I got the same thing too to upgrade to 2.2.0, and ran it as well. Kept everything at 2.2.3 and still runs great

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Ingenious! so the att.tar file in the AT&T doctor image has the AT&T bloatware in it? Are there no other differences between the wr.tar and att.tar? I suppose I should do a compare myself. This sounds like a fairly straightforward way to remove the bloatware if it only impacts the add-on applications and not anything more core.

Thankfully, the webOS bloatware AT&T installs is nowhere as intrusive as some bloatware I've seen on Android that phone's the mothership and whatnot.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast