Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    Can anyone please simply upload the ipk file instead of us having to download the entire doctor files? Have a bit of a slow connection.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaffarali View Post
    Can anyone please simply upload the ipk file instead of us having to download the entire doctor files? Have a bit of a slow connection.

Thanks
    No, that would be a copyright violation according to the rules of the forum.

Can't see what good Skype is going to do you on a limited connection...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Skype actually works pretty ok on a 512k line.
    Downloading a 200MB+ file took a while but it's done now.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    No, that would be a copyright violation according to the rules of the forum.

Can't see what good Skype is going to do you on a limited connection...
    Hope this helps everyone else:

Using an unlocked Pre3 AT&T phone (unlocked with T-Mobile), and the phone version is 2.2.3. The Skype application is available via the HP App Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-phile View Post

Using an unlocked Pre3 AT&T phone (unlocked with T-Mobile), and the phone version is 2.2.3. The Skype application is available via the HP App Catalog.
    Only if you have US app catalog access. Most in this thread are trying to install it specifically because it is not in whatever app catalog we have access to.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by 370gt View Post
    I followed the advice of deltasquare4. Here is a more detailed way to do it.

1. I took the att doctor (2.2.3), and opened it up with a program called 7zip. It allows you to open and modify the archive without fully unzipping it. There are 3 folders in the .jar file, "com", "META-INF", and "resources". Open up resources, and there will be a fill in there called att.tar. Delete this file. Keep this window open for step 4.

2. Take the UK pre 3 doctor (2.2.0), and open it up with 7zip as well. Again open the resources folder, and there will be a file in there called "wr.tar". Copy it to the desktop.

3. Rename "wr.tar" to "att.tar"

4. Drag and drop the "att.tar" file into the att doctor's archive, close the archive.

5. Run the doctor like normal (boot holding r key)

I was able to get skype onto the device, and REMOVE ALL THE ATT CRAP!!!! (prob the best part)

So far the att pre @ 2.2.3 seems to be running extremely smooth for me over my uk 2.2.0. pre3. The menus are much smoother and everything seems to be much faster at loading. The slider is a little bit loose compared to my uk one, but ill survive with better signal/ more speed.
    Amazing!!! working skype but app catalog..... can't find a lot of apps any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecut93 View Post
    I followed the directions and skype appeared under accounts but it just told me to download skype from the app catalog(which still says it is not available for my carrier...).
    Any tips or ideas on where I <messed> up? :S
    Do NOT install the skype-download package, unless You have a Verizon phone!
    I got the same message as You, following the instructions blindely...
    Go to QuickInstall and start Linux commandline and type:

ipkg remove skype-download

Reboot yor phone, and voila you have Skype.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ignorant noob here,

I loaded skype on the phone.. is there an app icon or do you just use the phone dialing app. sorry I can not figure this out.
    what I have done:
    bought att locked pre3
    downloaded and installed skype
    logged into skpe acct during install
    looked for icon to try , this is where I got lost.

please help
    Quote Originally Posted by tnayrbj View Post
    ignorant noob here,

I loaded skype on the phone.. is there an app icon or do you just use the phone dialing app. sorry I can not figure this out.
    what I have done:
    bought att locked pre3
    downloaded and installed skype
    logged into skpe acct during install
    looked for icon to try , this is where I got lost.

please help
    Accounts. It is integrated into Synergy, not a standalone application. Makes it both awesome and occasionally frustrating at the same time.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:

1. I took the att doctor (2.2.3), and opened it up with a program called 7zip. It allows you to open and modify the archive without fully unzipping it. There are 3 folders in the .jar file, "com", "META-INF", and "resources". Open up resources, and there will be a fill in there called att.tar. Delete this file. Keep this window open for step 4.

2. Take the UK pre 3 doctor (2.2.0), and open it up with 7zip as well. Again open the resources folder, and there will be a file in there called "wr.tar". Copy it to the desktop.

4. Drag and drop the "att.tar" file into the att doctor's archive, close the archive.

I was able to get skype onto the device, and REMOVE ALL THE ATT CRAP!!!! (prob the best part)

So far the att pre @ 2.2.3 seems to be running extremely smooth for me over my uk 2.2.0. pre3. The menus are much smoother and everything seems to be much faster at loading. The slider is a little bit loose compared to my uk one, but ill survive with better signal/ more speed.

@370gt: It's nice ! Thank you so much! Absolutely as your directions above! It's working for me as an amateur webOS user, in US with T-Mobile. Once again, thank you so much for your post.
    Best Regards,
    hi all , first sorry for my bad english, i'm italian and here living, owner of an ATT pre 3 16gb without skype.
    I just wanted clarification on the above steps:
    1)After changing webosdoctorp223mantaatt file, i have to reinstall it in phone rebooting it holding volume up key?
    2)some of you have no idea if a similar process, I can install msn and maybe the Italian language?
    Thanks to you all
    Quote Originally Posted by the gold bug View Post
    2)some of you have no idea if a similar process, I can install msn and maybe the Italian language?
    To have an italian keyboard someone has to build that app. It's not impossbile as there is allready a greek keyboard available and maybe someone could modify it. They are crazy those greek guys

Guys, I did this on my last pre 3 and it kept saying that there is an update available for the phone. Eventually it attempted to install the update and it killed the boot loader. Either just disable the update function or just use MetaDoctor vanilla patch for ATT.

If you don't, there is a chance that the update messes up your phone as it did mine you phone will be bricked and you cannot recover from a damaged bootloader. You won't be able to even put it in USB mode to doctor it.

Just a word of caution.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Can someone please make a patch that can erase at&t stuff and leave the phone clear to install skype on it?! It's simpler. I'm just not quite a tech geek and I know there are definitely some genius developing for WebOS! Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by ajguns; 11/29/2011 at 12:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gameoffuture View Post
    Guys, I did this on my last pre 3 and it kept saying that there is an update available for the phone. Eventually it attempted to install the update and it killed the boot loader. Either just disable the update function or just use MetaDoctor vanilla patch for ATT.

If you don't, there is a chance that the update messes up your phone as it did mine you phone will be bricked and you cannot recover from a damaged bootloader. You won't be able to even put it in USB mode to doctor it.

Just a word of caution.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    My phone too attempted to install 2.2.0 european version, but after reboot , simply still 2.2.3 att version

ps. is there chance to have webos 3 on our pre3 in the future?
    Last edited by the gold bug; 12/02/2011 at 07:39 AM.
    After instructions in post #1, Skype is now an account option thanks
    However download from app catalog fails as "this application is not available for your carrier". I am using the same account as my Touchpad and it is the US app catalog.
    If anyone can help, please PM me mucho gracias
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I am using AT&T Unlocked phone in India. ..HP Catalog doesnt show SKYPE...
    What should i do..pls help me...
    Quote Originally Posted by smns.srinivas View Post
    I am using AT&T Unlocked phone in India. ..HP Catalog doesnt show SKYPE...
    What should i do..pls help me...
    see post 1, just ignore the bit about skype.download.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-phile View Post

No I cannot see...,pls help
    Quote Originally Posted by smns.srinivas View Post
    No I cannot see...,pls help
    I've already told you, see the very first post in this topic. Just ignore the bit about Skype.download.

everything else is accurate.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast