Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    agreed. Att bloat ware is minimal on the veer n pre3
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I followed the directions and skype appeared under accounts but it just told me to download skype from the app catalog(which still says it is not available for my carrier...).
    Any tips or ideas on where I <messed> up? :S
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/20/2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: language
    No skype on my AT&T Pre3. Though I'm in Canada and its not showing up in the app catalog. Went through that update and now I'm trying to find out just why my battery seems to be so poor.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Me either. Using Rogers with a US profile on it and no Skype for me. I have been trying this .tar switching method for a few days and the skype is not showing up but the ATT bloatware is gone. The WebOS 2.2.0 update kept appearing after I downloaded the UK 2.2.3 and the first two times I did the update it was fine, but the third time it showed up and I click update (just to get rid the annoying pop up) it messed up the pre 3 and come up with a triangle warning sign showing problem with the rom and I had to fix with webosdoctor all over again.
    I have been reading this thread and others...to me all this policy is a joke. Skype should be available not depending on carriers or webOS version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    I have been reading this thread and others...to me all this policy is a joke. Skype should be available not depending on carriers or webOS version.
    Truth be told, I completely agree with Juize.
    However, I do have some news to enlighten what the issue is.

• I purchased (2) AT&T Pre 3's. UNLOCKED one to use on another carrier and could not qualify the Pre 3 in the app catalog to download Skype.

• Only activated the second AT&T Pre 3 (LOCKED to AT&T), and "wah-la" Skype was in the app catalog to be installed.

• Unlocked the second AT&T Pre 3 AFTER installing Skype from the app catalog and did an OTA update from 2.2 to 2.3. Everything is running fine including Skype.
    It was just an experiment I was fortunately enough to be able to try that proved what I've believed all long is the initial problem.

For some reason or another (at least in the US), Skype is exclusive or qualified for only AT&T (LOCKED) in the app catalog.

Btw, I have requested several times now for Hp & Palm to correct this issue via twitter (the more request, the better) and will follow up with a post if I get a response.

• This really needs to be corrected in the app catalog to be available for every carrier no matter LOCKED or UNLOCKED.
    Hope this helps
    cubeover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknbarbie View Post
    Me either. Using Rogers with a US profile on it and no Skype for me. I have been trying this .tar switching method for a few days and the skype is not showing up but the ATT bloatware is gone. The WebOS 2.2.0 update kept appearing after I downloaded the UK 2.2.3 and the first two times I did the update it was fine, but the third time it showed up and I click update (just to get rid the annoying pop up) it messed up the pre 3 and come up with a triangle warning sign showing problem with the rom and I had to fix with webosdoctor all over again.
    Try just installing the one .ipk file as per the instructions and not the whole tarball. Comparing the att.tar and the wr.tar, there is more different than just the Skype package and bloatware.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    I tried loading that file but am unable to do so. It kept giving me:

ERROR: An error occurred while attempting to install com.palm.app.skype_1.1-8.3_armv7.ipk

Package dependencies not satisfied
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknbarbie View Post
    I tried loading that file but am unable to do so. It kept giving me:

ERROR: An error occurred while attempting to install com.palm.app.skype_1.1-8.3_armv7.ipk

Package dependencies not satisfied
    As per the directions, are you using the -force-depends command from the command line?
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Ingenious! so the att.tar file in the AT&T doctor image has the AT&T bloatware in it? Are there no other differences between the wr.tar and att.tar? I suppose I should do a compare myself. This sounds like a fairly straightforward way to remove the bloatware if it only impacts the add-on applications and not anything more core.

Thankfully, the webOS bloatware AT&T installs is nowhere as intrusive as some bloatware I've seen on Android that phone's the mothership and whatnot.
    ok... I have been using the phone since then and no issues so far. The only issue is the update for 2.2.0 keeps coming every time it checks for update. It does not do anything other than annoying the crap out of me by forcing me to let it install it and reboot the phone.

I still can't connect the phone to exchange. That is starting to bug me also. I wonder if something is wrong with the core of webOS on this phone that makes it unable to connect to exchange.
    What "bloatware" are we talking about? AT&T Nav and Amazon MP3?
    I fail to see anything else.
    Oh btw does anyone use AT&T Nav?
    I really need turn-by-turn navigation a-la Nokia Maps...
    Quote Originally Posted by 370gt View Post
    I followed the advice of deltasquare4. Here is a more detailed way to do it.

1. I took the att doctor (2.2.3), and opened it up with a program called 7zip. It allows you to open and modify the archive without fully unzipping it. There are 3 folders in the .jar file, "com", "META-INF", and "resources". Open up resources, and there will be a fill in there called att.tar. Delete this file. Keep this window open for step 4.

2. Take the UK pre 3 doctor (2.2.0), and open it up with 7zip as well. Again open the resources folder, and there will be a file in there called "wr.tar". Copy it to the desktop.

3. Rename "wr.tar" to "att.tar"

4. Drag and drop the "att.tar" file into the att doctor's archive, close the archive.

5. Run the doctor like normal (boot holding r key)

I was able to get skype onto the device, and REMOVE ALL THE ATT CRAP!!!! (prob the best part)

So far the att pre @ 2.2.3 seems to be running extremely smooth for me over my uk 2.2.0. pre3. The menus are much smoother and everything seems to be much faster at loading. The slider is a little bit loose compared to my uk one, but ill survive with better signal/ more speed.
    this totally messed up my Pre 3. After doctoring it with the modified doctor I was not able to log onto my profile any more. When I logged on my account from the web, I could see 2 devices, my touchpad with all its details correct, and my Pre 3 saying OS version 9.9.9. Turns out that the modification ended something up and the profile can't identify which version I am using since it is a mix of 2.

I am also unable to backup or anything on the new profile. HP doesn't know how to solve this, after an hour on the phone with one agent, his response is, its a good think you still have your veer, you can use that until we get more training on the Pre3. The second day I spoke with an agent (he knew a bit more) he said that it would have to be escalated.

And I did try to doctor it back to a original att doctor, same problem.

If anyone has an idea how to fix this please help, otherwise be careful when trying this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    YPmobile is also force installed on a AT&T phone and I find with the new Bing Maps, I'd rather be able to delete YPmobile.

What bugs me the most though is the crazy amount of AT&T specific bookmarks and contacts that get added. It's kind of ridiculous.

As for AT&T Nav, it's my understanding that it's identical to Sprint Nav, which I used all the time and thought was excellent. Just not worth the $10/month to me.
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    Yes, that bloatware. It's pretty minimal (just two programs, handful of bookmarks, and a crap ton of contacts) compared to other devices I've seen/used.

I do not use AT&T Nav. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $is$ $truly$ $an$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $service$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $pay$ $for$, $not$ $a$ $general$ $navigation$ $app$ $just$ $anyone$ $can$ $run$.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    OK, how do I get this screen to Skype national landlines via Wi-Fi?
    The screenshot is for reference. I've obviously tried with a live WiFi connection.

Open dialer, go to network settings and set domestic calls to always ask. Provided you have installed Skype.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by bebz View Post
    this totally messed up my Pre 3. After doctoring it with the modified doctor I was not able to log onto my profile any more. When I logged on my account from the web, I could see 2 devices, my touchpad with all its details correct, and my Pre 3 saying OS version 9.9.9. Turns out that the modification ended something up and the profile can't identify which version I am using since it is a mix of 2.

I am also unable to backup or anything on the new profile. HP doesn't know how to solve this, after an hour on the phone with one agent, his response is, its a good think you still have your veer, you can use that until we get more training on the Pre3. The second day I spoke with an agent (he knew a bit more) he said that it would have to be escalated.

If anyone has an idea how to fix this please help, otherwise be careful when trying this out.
    bebz,

I am at the same time sorry you had this problem
    and glad that I am not alone.

I guess we both forgot to hold the "r key" while
    rebooting.

When you have an answer from Tech Support,
    could you post the remedy or otherwise let me
    know how the problem was resolved.

Best Regards
    JCT
    Quote Originally Posted by bebz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JCTerrier View Post
    bebz,

I am at the same time sorry you had this problem
    and glad that I am not alone.

I guess we both forgot to hold the "r key" while
    rebooting.

When you have an answer from Tech Support,
    could you post the remedy or otherwise let me
    know how the problem was resolved.
    Did you both simply replace and rename the wr.tar to att.tar and put it into the AT&T doctor? Personally I really would have recommended against that since there are actually about 8 files in there that are different; it's not just Skype. Bloatware really only account for maybe half of the files that I could identify easily. The rest... potentially device customizations which are now giving you a version mismatch, hence the 9.9.9 in your profile.

The safest way to install it is really just to apply the one ipk. I have created for myself a completely streamlined no bloatware tarball that also includes Preware, but I based that off of the att.tar contents and not interchanged the wr.tar.

Do you have a preexisting webOS phone you are migrating from? If not, could you just delete that device from your profile? Doctor yourself back to a true, unmodified stock, then try again. In setting up my Pre 3, I must have deleted the device out of my profile 10 times until i got it working right...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Did you both simply replace and rename the wr.tar to att.tar and put it into the AT&T doctor? Personally I really would have recommended against that since there are actually about 8 files in there that are different; it's not just Skype. Bloatware really only account for maybe half of the files that I could identify easily. The rest... potentially device customizations which are now giving you a version mismatch, hence the 9.9.9 in your profile.

The safest way to install it is really just to apply the one ipk. I have created for myself a completely streamlined no bloatware tarball that also includes Preware, but I based that off of the att.tar contents and not interchanged the wr.tar.

Do you have a preexisting webOS phone you are migrating from? If not, could you just delete that device from your profile? Doctor yourself back to a true, unmodified stock, then try again. In setting up my Pre 3, I must have deleted the device out of my profile 10 times until i got it working right...

The only ones that i see that are missing from the atnt side is the attaddresssync, and being added from the WR side is skype, wlmcustomlogin, sfrvvm, imsfratasport.

I uploaded a picture between the two. WR on the left, ATT on the right.
    I can see there are some different versions of some of the software, so maybe ill try and make a hybrid between the two with the newest versions of both, and keeping the att naming.

so far though i have had no problems with my phone, everything works great. I just get the "update me to 2.2.0" once and a while. I just click update, it doesn't change anything, and reboots in a couple minutes instead of 15+.

Another option would be as you said to remove the bloatware out of the att tar. I might give that a go as well. Nothing that can't be undone

Thanks for the idea!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i tried to remove the att apps out the original att.tar, but it would fail to flash the phone each time
    I even tried to mix some of the stuff from wr.tar in, but still no to avail.

I ended up flashing back to my original wr to att swap, and everything is good again.

If anyone knows how to remove those, let me know!
    Quote Originally Posted by 370gt View Post
    i tried to remove the att apps out the original att.tar, but it would fail to flash the phone each time
    I even tried to mix some of the stuff from wr.tar in, but still no to avail.

I ended up flashing back to my original wr to att swap, and everything is good again.

If anyone knows how to remove those, let me know!
    Using 7-Zip, I extracted att.tar, deleted all of the bloatware files (anything amazon or att), added skype and preware, then copied it back into my custom compiled Meta Doctor.

If you're trying to do this just with the stock Doctor file and it isn't working, then perhaps that is the difference.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast