Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Hey All,

I just wanted to give a shout out to "All who went before" me and got their Pre 3's activated on Verizon. Sharing your experiences really made it easy for me! I did a meta-doctor to include a 2GB var partition, entered my MEID on the Verizon site, got right onto the network to activate and I'm now in the finishing stages of getting preware back in shape. Just took a couple of hours thanks to all of you who posted your experience.

Thanks!
    Some one asked why use Verizon Pre3 vs AT&T. These are the reasons I chose Verizon.
    1. Verizon coverage in the areas I worked and lived in were better than AT&T
    2. I started with a Treo 650 on Alltel and was then bought out by Verizon. Bought the Pre+ when I upgraded to get higher speed phone with keyboard. It also was cheaper plan than the old Alltel/Verizon plan.
    3. Was going to upgrade to pre2 when my wifes pre+ screen cracked in a million pieces after minor scratch on screen left in locked auto in GA sun became a multitude of cracks.
    4. Verizon Pre3 came up on ebay and I decided I wanted one of the rare and last palm/HP phones in production..
    5. I had very little problems activating phone by talking to Verizon tech after I could not figure out on my own to use 911 erase method to get to Verizon. Maybe I was just lucky but when I bought phone, I questioned seller about activation and buyer assured me it was updated to the latest level 2.2.4.
    6. I love the phone with its slightly larger screen compared to my Pre+ and its external keyboard.
    My wife now has an Iphone and it is a great phone, but lacks the keyboard and the neat webos that I have grown to love. I hope it lasts as long as my Treo which I still use as a PDA and would still use as a phone if it did not cost more to run on Verizon.
    i just bought the palm pre 3 and i have a mac book air... i can't get webos doctor to open on my laptop... any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Activation takes only a day; the extra $100 I make back in a half day; good, reliable reception lasts a lifetime.

4G would be nice, but I rarely find 3G limiting for what I use my phone for when I'm away from WiFi (which is pretty much only in the car or while shopping). I even find using my 3G Pre3 as a WiFi hotspot for my TouchPad to be completely satisfactory. Of course, I'm not trying to stream movies or TV shows when I'm away from WiFi, nor do I have any interest in doing so.
    I'm waiting for my Pre 3 to arrive in a couple of days, so I'm thankful for the reassurance that you're having a good experience with it. Also happy to see another webOS fan in the greater Raleigh area. Verizon signal is better than AT&T where I live, north. I'm assuming freetether works on Pre 3 just as on my Pre 2, which is good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemypreplus View Post
    I'm waiting for my Pre 3 to arrive in a couple of days, so I'm thankful for the reassurance that you're having a good experience with it. Also happy to see another webOS fan in the greater Raleigh area. Verizon signal is better than AT&T where I live, north. I'm assuming freetether works on Pre 3 just as on my Pre 2, which is good news.
    Do be aware that if you have one of the old unlimited data plans, you'll be required to give it up in order to activate the Pre3.

If you switch to a "Share Everything" plan like my wife and I did, mobile hotspot is included in the plan, so you wouldn't need Freetether.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    What an awesome write up. I wish I could get past step 1

Hello all,

After a short (two year) vacation from the Pre series, I'm back with the Pre 3 and as excited as ever to get it fired up. So far it's been four hours with no luck. Every problem everyone else seems to have had, I have it and more.

I can't even get WebOS Doctor to install on my Mac OS 10.6.8.
    I've read work arounds where I can change the name of the "com.palm.novacomd" to "com.palm.novacomd.plist", but when I try, it says, "You do not have permission to rename..."

I've also tried the other option explained for Mac Lion, but it asks for a password. I have no idea what password it's asking for.

So here I sit grounded with tears in my eyes...with a beautiful phone just waiting to take flight. Verizon is no help AT ALL. They won't even attempt to manually program it. After four calls, each person says all I have to do is press *228... but I have no bars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a PC at work, but it's a secure PC and we are not allowed to even use it to browse the internet.

You can email me at my user name and then add Yahoo (I hope that is allowed).

Cheers,

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Well, 16 hours later...

I wish I could tell y'all exactly what finally worked, but I really don't know. Even though I made only one change at a time, the last thing I did was start over and do the first thing I did, which didn't work the first time. But just in case there's something to be learned, I'm going to put it all down so that at least it's out there for the next person.

BTW, my "steps" refer to what I did--I'm not recommending this as a process to follow, though it may, in fact, be helpful to reference. I've included links to external references, where possible.

Step 1: Doctor the phone with 2.2.4.
    I have no idea what my phone came with (others who bought from the same seller indicated 2.2.4, but I'm a big believer in "the only way you'll know it was done right is to do it yourself."

Step 2: Back up my Pre+ one more time (with Save/Restore and a batch file I use to copy off important folders to my PC).

Step 3: Follow the StopDeviceWipe instructions for the Pre+.
    • I dunno--it just seemed like a good idea, in case the Pre3 activation totally went south. Knowing that I had done this kept me sane for the past 14 hours, as it was looking like the Pre3 might be DOA.
    • Note: The command given must be entered from the Linux command line in webOS Quick Install (WOSQI), which isn't at all explicit in the webOS Internals wiki page with the instructions.

Step 4: Login to MyVerizon and activate the Pre3 on my existing line.
    • This involves, at a minimum, going to the "Activate or Switch Device" page (under the My Device menu) and entering the Pre3's hex MEID.
    • The printed MEID on the bar code panel on the box wasn't entirely clear--the last character still looks like an "8" to me, though I later found out it's really a "B" (when my first attempt to connect the phone failed, and the MEID was displayed on the screen), so read it carefully.
    • Note: Even though you'll get a "Phone activated" message on the MyVerizon page, it's not really activated until you run the process on the phone.

Step 5: Power up the phone, select "English", accept the webOS service agreement.
    So far so good...wait--there are no bars! Am I not getting a signal? What does "Scanning CDMA" in the status area mean?

Step 6:
    Try signing in to my webOS profile, anyway.
    Nope. Not gonna work--"Activation failed" (or some disheartening message like that). What to do, what to do...

Step 7: Call Verizon.
    • Good thing they put a phone number on my bill, because there's not one listed on the web site (that I can find).
    • I explained to the tech what we were about to do, based on other's descriptions of their conversations with Verizon in this thread.
    • Tech admitted he had never activated a Pre3, and didn't even know if he could put his hands on the Pre 2 instructions (but he did).

Step 8:
    Follow the tech's directions to manually activate the phone, hoping against hope that something we did would cause the Pre3 to start getting a signal.
    1. Get to the keypad; to do this, tap the phone icon in the notification area, then select "Call Carrier" (or something like that--I just don't recommend calling 911, as others have said); immediately cancel the call.
    2. Using the keypad (the keyboard didn't work at this point), enter ##000000 and tap the call button.
    3. On the resulting screen ("Service Programming"), enter my phone number in both fields (don't know what the numbers that were already there were about, but the tech said to ignore them); tap the Save button when done.
    4. Reopen the keypad, enter ##3282 and tap the call button.
    5. On the resulting screen ("Username"), scroll to the bottom and tap <Menu>.
    6. On the popup menu, tap <Advanced>.
    7. On the "Advanced" screen, scroll down and tap on the field label "Home SID" (not the number); this opens the "Master Subsidy Lock" (MSL).
    8. Enter 000000 in the MSL and tap <OK>.
    9. Tap the number in the "Home SID" field; you should now get an edit field.
    10. Delete whatever number is in the field and replace it with the number the Verizon tech gives you. [Note: As it turns out, the SID number that's my "home switch station" wasn't the same as the one that's in my phone now that it's activated, so I don't know if this is really necessary or not, but it is what I did, so...).
    11. Tap the screen anywhere outside of a field (to close the SID edit field), and backswipe in the gesture area to exit this screen. According to the tech's info, the phone should have now reset itself with a "soft" (Luna?) restart, but it didn't.
    12. Power off the phone and restart (since the automatic reset didn't happen).

Note: At this point, after the restart, I still had no bars. I'm not a happy camper, but forge ahead. One thing that did change is that the status area message has changed from "Scanning CDMA" to "Scanning network"--progress?

Step 9: Move through the language and agreement screens; try to login to my webOS profile again. Nope--activation failed.

Step 10: Tried the whole process in step 8 again, only this time using a different SID--according the tech, the one my phone was "currently hitting, even it's not your home switch." (How would he know, if I have no signal? Oh, well, why not...)

Step 11: Tried to login to the webOS profile again--same result, activation failed, still no bars.
    • We went back into the step 8 menus and reviewed all the settings, but couldn't find anything else to change on which the tech had documentation.
    • The tech has a theory--maybe I should verify that the SIM card is fully seated. I tell him I'll try that in the morning.
    • Time to go get some sleep--it's nearly 1:00 AM.

[After five hours, I wake up sweating. No, not because of the phone--we've had something like 12 100+ degree days in the past two weeks, and my second-floor A/C wasn't rated for this kind of heat.]

Step 12:
    Shut down the Pre3, pulled out the battery, slid the SIM half-way out and back in, then repeated step 8. Guess what didn't work.

Step 13: Doctored the Pre3 down to 2.2.3.
    Why? It was something that came to me in a dream (and that's the story I'm sticking with).

Step 14: Repeated step 8 (with the original SID that the Verizon tech had given me as my "home switch"). Nada.

Step 15: Called Verizon again (good morning!) and broke in another Pre3 virgin. We repeated step 8 (again), with the same result.

Step 16: At the tech's request, shut down and restarted the phone, only this time instead of the language or agreement screens, I get a "SIM failure" (or something like that) error screen, along with a message to call my phone carrier to get the SIM activated. The tech has no idea what that means.

Step 17: Shut down the phone and removed the SIM completely.
    • The tech had me do this on the theory that (a) it would help me bypass the SIM error, (b) the phone may be looking for a GSM signal (what the SIM is there for) instead of CDMA, and (c) the phone doesn't need the SIM installed to connect to a CDMA network.
    • I have no idea if the tech is right about any of that--he's working from educated guesswork, not a Pre3 manual.

Step 18: Restarted the phone; the SIM error is gone, but still no bars, and I'm back to "Scanning CDMA." Gave step 8 another try, just in case, but still no activation.
    • The tech is baffled, and I'm just about ready to declare the phone DOA (bad antenna? bad radio?).
    • There's nothing else to try, so I say goodbye to my second best friend at Verizon, and walked away from the problem for the rest of the morning.

[Had a good visit with some friends--time better spent than on a dumb smartphone. ]

Step 19: While my wife's making lunch, I power down the phone and reinsert the SIM. I also thought I'd doctor the phone back to 2.2.4 before packing it up to send back. After the doctor and restart, I thought, "Why not?", and tried logging in to my webOS profile again. Huh? ARE THOSE BARS? IS THAT A LOGIN IN PROGRESS? YEAH!

Step 20 (because it's a round number that I'd like to end on): Congratulate self for being technical genius , even though I can't believe that the second 2.2.4 doctor really did anything that the first one wouldn't have. Pat self on back for continuing trying the same thing over and over--even well past the point of official declaration of insanity . Proves that there really is a fine line between insanity and genius, I guess.

So there you have it, folks--the entire sorry tale. May it prove to be an aid, comfort, and encouragement to you in your time of deepest Verizon Pre3 activation distress.

NEVER GIVE UP!
    You may need to get a copy of the Novacom driver directly from the Palm Open Source site. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac, so I can't help you set it up, but you can find the download link in the resource list linked in my signature. As for the password, I think you leave it blank if you haven't set up a password for your Mac OS user.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie140 View Post
    Surely you've got at least one friend with a Windows system with Java installed who would let you run the doctor? All you'd have to do is "install" webOS Quick Install on the system, and that's really just a matter of downloading the file (and there may be an unzip--I no longer recall), so you won't be messing with his registry.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie140 View Post

Hello all,

After a short (two year) vacation from the Pre series, I'm back with the Pre 3 and as excited as ever to get it fired up. So far it's been four hours with no luck. Every problem everyone else seems to have had, I have it and more.

I can't even get WebOS Doctor to install on my Mac OS 10.6.8.
    I've read work arounds where I can change the name of the "com.palm.novacomd" to "com.palm.novacomd.plist", but when I try, it says, "You do not have permission to rename..."

I've also tried the other option explained for Mac Lion, but it asks for a password. I have no idea what password it's asking for.

So here I sit grounded with tears in my eyes...with a beautiful phone just waiting to take flight. Verizon is no help AT ALL. They won't even attempt to manually program it. After four calls, each person says all I have to do is press *228... but I have no bars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a PC at work, but it's a secure PC and we are not allowed to even use it to browse the internet.

You can email me at my user name and then add Yahoo (I hope that is allowed).

Cheers,

Paul
    Update:

After two nights of reading different posts on this forum and others, and not being able to even get past the installation of WebOS Doctor on my Apple Version 10.6.8, I was about to give up, when I searched for "Novacom installation problems". This search linked me to this website: UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.3.jar - universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer v1.3 - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting

I installed UniversalNovacomInstaller, and then re-opened WebOS Doctor 2.2.4 and it ran and installed without the error. Can I explain why? NO, did it work, YES! Did I get the phone to activate from there? YES!

Give it at try, and I hope it helps someone else who was stuck without a Windows machine and Mac software that prevented it from working.

Peace, and let's hope HP revives WebOS!

Paulie
    If I were to buy a Verizon Pre3 and were to use it on GSM network only, would I need to worry about activation and PRL? Or can I bypass this with a MetaDoctor somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    If I were to buy a Verizon Pre3 and were to use it on GSM network only, would I need to worry about activation and PRL? Or can I bypass this with a MetaDoctor somehow?
    Verizon Pre3 has two Options GSM or CDMA, you can make the Phone auto select, or you can force it to either setting, it has been noted on another thread that someone used a pay as you go AT&T SIM and they were active only on the AT&T network (CDMA was not used/needed)...

However, there are reports that not all GSM modes are available. Do not know which spectrum are missing...
    Ok missing should be the 4G band which doesn't matter aince we don't have 4G here in NL anyway yet....
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Ok missing should be the 4G band which doesn't matter aince we don't have 4G here in NL anyway yet....
    Also missing are the US 3G bands. See the bottom of the pic.

"just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    OK we got 3G on 2100 here in NL so that's no problem. Remains the question with activation for GSM, still required with VZW?
    Just received my Pre 3 today. Not a single hiccup in the activation. I did doctor the phone to 2.2.4 first as many others suggested. After that was complete, activated the phone on the verizon website before going through any prompts on the phone setup. No problems keeping my unlimited data plan either. I left my pre 2 in airplane mode just in case.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Hopefully someone can help. When I try to download the 2.2.4 Doctor from WebOS Internals, I don't get the .jar file I get a zip file. Help!!
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    yes, I'm a buffoon but, in my defense, I did state, up front, how much of a dolt I was.

got it working and the doctor is doing its magic.

thanks for the help folks.

hopefully, once I get this done, I can get the phone activated.
    How did u get it working? I just get a zip file with no jar file in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    How did u get it working? I just get a zip file with no jar file in it.
    JAR is an archive similar to ZIP. Just change the extension from ZIP to JAR so that running it (double-click) opens it appropriately.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    JAR is an archive similar to ZIP. Just change the extension from ZIP to JAR so that running it (double-click) opens it appropriately.
    How do u change the exension?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    How do u change the exension?
    What OS are you on?

You may be able to rename the file, giving it the proper extension, when you download and save it. Otherwise, if you know how to navigate using a terminal or command prompt, go to the directory where the file is then rename the file, giving it the proper extension.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast