Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerk1123 View Post
    Yes. This basically got me access to the phones basic functions.....phone, etc. But nothing works, I have no signal or bars.
    in devmode check what version of the software you have. Should be 2.2.4 if ready for verizon
    I just got the pre 3 for Verizon from Amazon. Going through all the same issues. Spoke to tech at Verizon. Was very helpful and tried to help. Asked me to do the ##000000#....my phone did not open up into another screen. Anybody have any programming info? Any idea why my phone won't open up into the 00 screen? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    See post #68 in this thread.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    I didn't see this covered: If I were to buy a Verizon Pre3 off eBay, Amazon or similar site, can I activate it WITHOUT Verizon? I'm based outside of the US and just curious to see if I can get this one working without too much hassle? (Meta) Doctor scripts are no issue for me in case required
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I didn't see this covered: If I were to buy a Verizon Pre3 off eBay, Amazon or similar site, can I activate it WITHOUT Verizon? I'm based outside of the US and just curious to see if I can get this one working without too much hassle? (Meta) Doctor scripts are no issue for me in case required
    To my understanding the main issue is settings, one PRL, so it knows which towers to talk to, second configuration settings on the device, my (which has been activated, not by me but buy the original owner, even though it was sold NIB), Pre3 has always show Verizon Wireless, when I hit #22891, to update PRL, and #22899 to activate, just need to go to the site and put the Pre3 esn into Verizon's portal. If you have issues just post them.
    Yes. This basically got me access to the phones basic functions.....phone, etc. But nothing works, I have no signal or bars.
    If you still don't have your phone activated yet let us know. Also, post what it says in the upper left of the screen. The ##000000# should always work if you type it correctly and you should only change those settings if instructed by a VZW tech.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Just wondering why there are so many folks that are picking up the Verizon version of the Pre 3. Aside to possibly a better network than AT&T, it seems like the pro's outweigh the cons with this version. Here are the cons that I see the most in the forums

- Difficulty with activation

- Higher price range on the average

- No 4g signal capability

I didn't have any of these to worry about too much when I picked up my AT&T Pre 3. Activated through Straight Talk and was up and running in a day or so.

With all these glaring deficiencies with the Verizon Pre 3, one would think why even bother with this version of the Pre 3. Not knocking anyone for choosing to do so, just curious why go through all the trouble ?
    For me Verizon Wireless works well where I live, I am using a preplus, when it fails, pre2, when that fails pre3, covered for a while, with family plans.... Kind of hard to switch...
    determinedd and wizard83 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyrepn1124 View Post
    With all these glaring deficiencies with the Verizon Pre 3, one would think why even bother with this version of the Pre 3. Not knocking anyone for choosing to do so, just curious why go through all the trouble ?
    Activation takes only a day; the extra $100 I make back in a half day; good, reliable reception lasts a lifetime.

4G would be nice, but I rarely find 3G limiting for what I use my phone for when I'm away from WiFi (which is pretty much only in the car or while shopping). I even find using my 3G Pre3 as a WiFi hotspot for my TouchPad to be completely satisfactory. Of course, I'm not trying to stream movies or TV shows when I'm away from WiFi, nor do I have any interest in doing so.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    For me Verizon Wireless works well where I live, I am using a preplus, when it fails, pre2, when that fails pre3, covered for a while, with family plans.... Kind of hard to switch...
    that I can kind of understand if your not willing to switch carriers and are satisfied with your plan. Like I said not knocking just curious.
    Guys, I need some real help here. I have read through this whole thread, and I am still not getting how to activate this phone. I have had a Pre+ and now a Pre2. Never had an issue with either of those phones at all to activate or use.
    I just purchase a brand new Pre3 never used. I am not getting how to get the WebOs Doctor File. I downloaded what I was told in the thread and just do not see the file to run to doctor the phone to activate it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    I am not getting how to get the WebOs Doctor File. I downloaded what I was told in the thread and just do not see the file to run to doctor the phone to activate it. Any help would be appreciated.
    See the webOS Internals instructions ("How To Recover"). May I assume that you know that your run the Doctor on your PC with your phone connected via USB and in recovery mode (aka "USB update mode")?

After that's done, see post #68 for more details on Verizon activation.
    Last edited by bethel95; 08/04/2012 at 11:44 PM.

Guys, I need some real help here. I have read through this whole thread, and I am still not getting how to activate this phone. I have had a Pre+ and now a Pre2. Never had an issue with either of those phones at all to activate or use.
    I just purchase a brand new Pre3 never used. I am not getting how to get the WebOs Doctor File. I downloaded what I was told in the thread and just do not see the file to run to doctor the phone to activate it. Any help would be appreciated.
    If your phone is already at 2.2.4, you don't actually need to doctor it. If you want to doctor the phone, the correct file should be under Pre 3 for Verizon on this page here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

As for the setup, I just activated mine on Friday. I called Verizon tech support, because the suggestions here weren't helping, and they walked me through the manual programming process based on the Pre 2's manual programming process. The process was almost exactly the same as the Pre 2's, so if you just suggest to the tech support person to try those instructions, they should work fine for you. Use the emergency dialer to get access to the dialer for the manual programming process.

EDIT: Oh, but be sure you add your MEID for your Pre 3 through the My Verizon site first, and leave your old phone off during this whole process.

-God Ginrai
    Quote Originally Posted by God Ginrai View Post
    If your phone is already at 2.2.4, you don't actually need to doctor it.
    True--but the problem is knowing what version is installed on a phone that's not previously been activated (or has been wiped). I never could figure out how to do that, as you can't access Device Info until after activation. Hence, the recommendation to start with the 2.2.4 Doctor. Yeah, my seller said that 2.2.4 was installed, but I saw no reason to accept that on blind faith when running a Doctor is relatively easy.

Quote Originally Posted by God Ginrai View Post
    I called Verizon tech support, because the suggestions here weren't helping, and they walked me through the manual programming process based on the Pre 2's manual programming process.
    Just out of curiosity, were the steps you were led through any different that what's documented in step 8 of post #68? If so, please let us know what worked for you. If it's possible, I can then update #68 with the latest info.

Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, were the steps you were led through any different that what's documented in step 8 of post #68? If so, please let us know what worked for you. If it's possible, I can then update #68 with the latest info.
    I did Step 4 first, making sure that I had my old phone turned off. Then I called Verizon when it didn't work, and went through a similar process to what you did in step 8. Basically, if you ask them to treat it like it's a Pre 2, it's almost verbatim the same process. After the manual programming, we tried a test call (which worked), and then did *228 option 1, just to make sure we covered all of the activation bases.

-God Ginrai
    just do not see the file to run to doctor the phone
    In case this is your issue: If what you downloaded is a .zip file, change the extension to .jar and run it
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    In case this is your issue: If what you downloaded is a .zip file, change the extension to .jar and run it
    Ok I already downloaded the 2.2.4 Zip file and extracted to my desktop. I just don't see a file in any of those folders that extracted to run the doctor.
    Ok I already downloaded the 2.2.4 Zip file and extracted to my desktop. I just don't see a file in any of those folders that extracted to run the doctor.
    If you have the latest Java on your computer, the .jar file IS the executable... Java runs the .jar just double click it.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Aha, and there's the problem . DO NOT EXTRACT THE .ZIP FILE. Just change the extension from .zip to .jar then run (i.e. double-click) the renamed file. If you don't see the .zip extension on the file let us know and we can give you further instructions.
    Last edited by determinedd; 08/05/2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Just wondering why there are so many folks that are picking up the Verizon version of the Pre 3. Aside to possibly a better network than AT&T, it seems like the pro's outweigh the cons with this version. Here are the cons that I see the most in the forums
    Well I've been running a Pre3 since last fall when they started showing up on ebay, and all in all am quite happy. I do wish the Global Phone SIM card part of the phone was a little more developed or patched. Would love to drop a prepaid SIM in there for travel.

I really have no choice but to stay with Verizon as AT&T has NO I mean ZERO service where I live.

I am also on a familly plant with 5 phones. Pre3, Pixi+, Iphone4s, and two flip phones. With the staggered contracts it would be expensive to leave Verizon.

I've used Pixi+, Pre+, I have a Pre2 NIB, and now rung a Pre3.

Cheers
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast