Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Per the webOS Internals wiki:
    Here is the procedure.

rm -f /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    reboot

That's it--but how do I do the first step? It looks like a command line, but I'm not aware of any way of getting a command line on the Pre+.

Can I enter that command in DevMode, somehow? Does this take WOSQI? Or what?

TIA for any rapid assistance--I'm trying to get this done tonight.
    You run the WOSQI on your pc and initiate a novaterm for the command line.

You may want to turn on 'airplane mode' to prevent the wipe.

Good luck.
    OK--got the 2.2.4 doctor done, changed my MEID online, and...CDMA scanning, scanning, scanning...

No bars on the signal.

So I'm off to call Verizon tech support to do the manual programming dance--wish me luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    OK--got the 2.2.4 doctor done, changed my MEID online, and...CDMA scanning, scanning, scanning...

No bars on the signal.

So I'm off to call Verizon tech support to do the manual programming dance--wish me luck.
    So the Verizon tech took me through the manual setup process, and the "Scanning CDMA" message changed to "Scanning Network," and we got the "Activation Successful" message (progress?!).

So now I can get to the webOS Account sign-in screen, but...still no bars, so I can't actually connect. We tried an alternate SID, but no joy.

Now he's looking for instructions on how to do a full device reset, but apparently that requires access to Device Info, which I don't have.

Anyone have any idea how to do a reset with key just presses?
    You need to do a activation by-pass to get to the 'device info'. I provided some info on how to by-pass the activation to check for OS version. Here is the link:

HELP Getting Started on New Pre3

This also provide instruction on how to set up WIFI for activation too.

Good Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by qlearner View Post
    You need to do a activation by-pass to get to the 'device info'. I provided some info on how to by-pass the activation to check for OS version. Here is the link:

HELP Getting Started on New Pre3

This also provide instruction on how to set up WIFI for activation too.

Good Luck.
    Thanks. As it turns out, this wasn't needed. Whew!

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thanks. As it turns out, this wasn't needed. Whew!
    so how'd you get it working in the end? (just curious)
    6/26/14 Update: I just activated my backup Pre3 after my first Pre3 became unreliable. I've added notes to this post indicating what's changed since 2012 or what happened differently this time. The good news is that my second activation went very smoothly and took less than an hour (including all the time to update this post), but not including the time to doctor the new phone to 2.2.4 (which I ran while getting lunch, so I'm not sure how long that took).

Well, 16 hours later...

I wish I could tell y'all exactly what finally worked, but I really don't know. Even though I made only one change at a time, the last thing I did was start over and do the first thing I did, which didn't work the first time. But just in case there's something to be learned, I'm going to put it all down so that at least it's out there for the next person.

BTW, my "steps" refer to what I did--I'm not recommending this as a process to follow, though it may, in fact, be helpful to reference. I've included links to external references, where possible.

Step 1: Doctor the phone with webOS 2.2.4.
    I have no idea what my phone came with (others who bought from the same seller indicated 2.2.4, but I'm a big believer in "the only way you'll know it was done right is to do it yourself."

Step 2: Back up my Pre+ one more time (with Save/Restore and a batch file I use to copy off important folders to my PC).

Step 3: Login to MyVerizon and activate the Pre3 on my existing line.
    • This involves, at a minimum, going to the "Activate or Switch Device" page (under the My Device menu) and entering the Pre3's hex MEID.
    • The printed MEID on the bar code panel on the box wasn't entirely clear--the last character still looks like an "8" to me, though I later found out it's really a "B" (when my first attempt to connect the phone failed, and the MEID was displayed on the screen), so read it carefully.
    • UPDATE (6/26/14): Since the last time I did this, Verizon has added a requirement for entering a "verification code." In my case, it allowed me to have that code texted to my wife's phone. What you'll be able to do if you have only a single phone on your plan is (probably) have the code sent to your old phone. If your old phone is dead, then I'm guessing a visit to the Verizon store is in your immediate future. (FYI, this change is why I moved this up to step 3 and moved the StopDeviceWipe step to #4.)
    • When you get to the step in Verizon's instructions to dial *228, you'll need to do this to bring up the dial pad:
      (1) Tap where you see "Tap To Place Call" at the bottom of the screen.
      (2) Select "Call customer service."
      (3) Immediately cancel the call; the dial pad will remain visible.
      (4) Enter *228 and place the call.
    • Notes:
      (1) Verizon's Activation page says that you'll hear "activation successful" at the end of the call, followed by an automatic power cycle. I heard "your software has been updated" (or something close to that), then had to manually cycle the power of and back on.
      (2) Even if you get a "Phone activated" message on the MyVerizon page (you may not), it's not really activated until you complete the rest of the process on the phone.

Step 4: Follow the StopDeviceWipe instructions for the Pre+ (or whatever your old phone is).
    • I dunno--it just seemed like a good idea, in case the new Pre3 activation totally went south. Knowing that I had done this kept me sane for the past 14 hours (of my first activation, as it was looking like the Pre3 might be DOA.
    • Notes:
      (1) The command given must be entered from the Linux command line in webOS Quick Install (WOSQI), which isn't at all explicit in the webOS Internals wiki page with the instructions.
      (2) If you're switching from a 2.2.4 device, this is a lot easier, as you'll use Impostah instead of the command line.

Step 5: Power up the phone, select "English", accept the webOS service agreement.
    • So far so good...wait--there are no bars! Am I not getting a signal? What does "Scanning CDMA" in the status area mean?
    • Note (6/26/14 activation): This time, I immediately got bars and a 3G signal. Perhaps because I had previously activated a Pre3 on this line? Or because Verizon fixed something since 2012? Or I was just holding my mouth right?

Step 6: Try signing in to my webOS profile, anyway.
    • Nope. Not gonna work--"Activation failed" (or some disheartening message like that). What to do, what to do...
    • Note (6/26/14 activation): This time, I got logged into my webOS account on the first try.

Step 7: Call Verizon.
    • Good thing they put a phone number on my bill, because there's not one listed on the web site (that I can find).
    • I explained to the tech what we were about to do, based on other's descriptions of their conversations with Verizon in this thread.
    • Tech admitted he had never activated a Pre3, and didn't even know if he could put his hands on the Pre 2 instructions (but he did).

Step 8:
    Follow the tech's directions to manually activate the phone, hoping against hope that something we did would cause the Pre3 to start getting a signal.
    1. Get to the keypad; to do this, tap the phone icon in the notification area, then select "Call Carrier" (or something like that--I just don't recommend calling 911, as others have said); immediately cancel the call.
    2. Using the keypad (the keyboard didn't work at this point), enter ##000000 and tap the call button.
    3. On the resulting screen ("Service Programming"), enter my phone number in both fields (don't know what the numbers that were already there were about, but the tech said to ignore them); tap the Save button when done.
    4. Reopen the keypad, enter ##3282 and tap the call button.
    5. On the resulting screen ("Username"), scroll to the bottom and tap <Menu>.
    6. On the popup menu, tap <Advanced>.
    7. On the "Advanced" screen, scroll down and tap on the field label "Home SID" (not the number); this opens the "Master Subsidy Lock" (MSL).
    8. Enter 000000 in the MSL and tap <OK>.
    9. Tap the number in the "Home SID" field; you should now get an edit field.
    10. Delete whatever number is in the field and replace it with the number the Verizon tech gives you. [Note: As it turns out, the SID number that's my "home switch station" wasn't the same as the one that's in my phone now that it's activated, so I don't know if this is really necessary or not, but it is what I did, so...).
    11. Tap the screen anywhere outside of a field (to close the SID edit field), and backswipe in the gesture area to exit this screen. According to the tech's info, the phone should have now reset itself with a "soft" (Luna?) restart, but it didn't.
    12. Power off the phone and restart (since the automatic reset didn't happen).

Note: At this point, after the restart, I still had no bars. I'm not a happy camper, but forge ahead. One thing that did change is that the status area message has changed from "Scanning CDMA" to "Scanning network"--progress?

Step 9: Move through the language and agreement screens; try to login to my webOS profile again. Nope--activation failed.

Step 10: Tried the whole process in step 8 again, only this time using a different SID--according the tech, the one my phone was "currently hitting, even it's not your home switch." (How would he know, if I have no signal? Oh, well, why not...)

Step 11: Tried to login to the webOS profile again--same result, activation failed, still no bars.
    • We went back into the step 8 menus and reviewed all the settings, but couldn't find anything else to change on which the tech had documentation.
    • The tech has a theory--maybe I should verify that the SIM card is fully seated. I tell him I'll try that in the morning.
    • Time to go get some sleep--it's nearly 1:00 AM.

[After five hours, I wake up sweating. No, not because of the phone--we've had something like 12 100+ degree days in the past two weeks, and my second-floor A/C wasn't rated for this kind of heat.]

Step 12:
    Shut down the Pre3, pulled out the battery, slid the SIM half-way out and back in, then repeated step 8. Guess what didn't work.

Step 13: Doctored the Pre3 down to 2.2.3.
    Why? It was something that came to me in a dream (and that's the story I'm sticking with).

Step 14: Repeated step 8 (with the original SID that the Verizon tech had given me as my "home switch"). Nada.

Step 15: Called Verizon again (good morning!) and broke in another Pre3 virgin. We repeated step 8 (again), with the same result.

Step 16: At the tech's request, shut down and restarted the phone, only this time instead of the language or agreement screens, I get a "SIM failure" (or something like that) error screen, along with a message to call my phone carrier to get the SIM activated. The tech has no idea what that means.

Step 17: Shut down the phone and removed the SIM completely.
    • The tech had me do this on the theory that (a) it would help me bypass the SIM error, (b) the phone may be looking for a GSM signal (what the SIM is there for) instead of CDMA, and (c) the phone doesn't need the SIM installed to connect to a CDMA network.
    • I have no idea if the tech is right about any of that--he's working from educated guesswork, not a Pre3 manual.

Step 18: Restarted the phone; the SIM error is gone, but still no bars, and I'm back to "Scanning CDMA." Gave step 8 another try, just in case, but still no activation.
    • The tech is baffled, and I'm just about ready to declare the phone DOA (bad antenna? bad radio?).
    • There's nothing else to try, so I say goodbye to my second best friend at Verizon, and walked away from the problem for the rest of the morning.

[Had a good visit with some friends--time better spent than on a dumb smartphone. ]

Step 19: While my wife's making lunch, I power down the phone and reinsert the SIM. I also thought I'd doctor the phone back to 2.2.4 before packing it up to send back. After the doctor and restart, I thought, "Why not?", and tried logging in to my webOS profile again. Huh? ARE THOSE BARS? IS THAT A LOGIN IN PROGRESS? YEAH!

Step 20 (because it's a round number that I'd like to end on): Congratulate self for being technical genius , even though I can't believe that the second 2.2.4 doctor really did anything that the first one wouldn't have. Pat self on back for continuing trying the same thing over and over--even well past the point of official declaration of insanity . Proves that there really is a fine line between insanity and genius, I guess.

So there you have it, folks--the entire sorry tale. May it prove to be an aid, comfort, and encouragement to you in your time of deepest Verizon Pre3 activation distress.

NEVER GIVE UP!
    Last edited by bethel95; 06/26/2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Change in Verizon activation process

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    hmmm, interesting! sounds like it does need to be doctored to 2.2.4, and do the manual activation to work.

I immediately removed the SIM card after my very first attempt out of the box to help isolate the problem. It only works outside the US anyway, i still haven't even bothered to put it back in.
    Some things that didn't quite go right after activation and re-connecting to my Palm profile:
    • Not all App Catalog apps that had been on my Pre+ downloaded automatically to the Pre3--puzzling. I had made screenshots of all my Pre+ plus launcher screens, just in case, so I'll be able to identify what's missing and manually download them. The StopDeviceWipe step seems to have worked (i.e., all the apps appear to still be on the Pre+), but I wouldn't put all my chickens in that one basket, if I were you.
    • One of my three Gmail accounts and my Facebook account wouldn't recognize my login credentials. In the Gmail account's case, this was despite putting in the password very carefully a half-dozen times. In both cases, simply deleting the account and adding it back solved the problem; nothing was lost, since the account had never synced. No big deal.

I'll add more later (if any) as I discover them.

Update: I've almost gotten my Pre3 to the point of replacing everything I was doing on the Pre+. One app (ToDo Classic) is nonfunctional under 2.2.4, while another (Simple Shop) won't allow me to add items to the master database (though it does work with the data recovered through Save/Restore, so I may just occasionally update the master items list on the Pre+ and transfer it over to the Pre3 that way). I've already picked a replacement for ToDo Classic--I just need to recreate my todo list. The new app (Toodle Tasks) links to toodledo.com, so I can do that on my desktop, which will ease the pain.

I've also found a "perfect fit" case for the Pre3--I'll report on that over in the Pre3 cases thread.
    Last edited by bethel95; 07/23/2012 at 10:13 PM.

Some things that didn't quite go right after activation and re-connecting to my Palm profile:
    • Not all App Catalog apps that had been on my Pre+ downloaded automatically to the Pre3--puzzling. I had made screenshots of all my Pre+ plus launcher screens, just in case, so I'll be able to identify what's missing and manually download them. The StopDeviceWipe step seems to have worked (i.e., all the apps appear to still be on the Pre+), but I wouldn't put all my chickens in that one basket, if I were you.
    • One of my three Gmail accounts and my Facebook account wouldn't recognize my login credentials. In the Gmail account's case, this was despite putting in the password very carefully a half-dozen times. In both cases, simply deleting the account and adding it back solved the problem; nothing was lost, since the account had never synced. No big deal.

I'll add more later (if any) as I discover them.
    I believe such issues are somewhat normal when switching/adding webos devices on an existing profile. Everything doesn't always sync up the way it's supposed to without a little fiddling.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I believe such issues are somewhat normal when switching/adding webos devices on an existing profile. Everything doesn't always sync up the way it's supposed to without a little fiddling.
    +1

Not a big deal to fix. You'll love the phone!
    Well, I got my Pre3 from the ebay seller on Friday. It was already doctored to 2.2.4. I was able to get it activated easy enough and everything went fine with the sync. Today, I discovered I can't make outgoing calls. When I try to select a contact nothing happens. When I enter a number manually with the dial pad, it disappears when I tap the green call button. Incoming calls work fine. Any thoughts? I love the phone and hope I didn't get a dud..
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyD View Post
    Well, I got my Pre3 from the ebay seller on Friday. It was already doctored to 2.2.4. I was able to get it activated easy enough and everything went fine with the sync. Today, I discovered I can't make outgoing calls. When I try to select a contact nothing happens. When I enter a number manually with the dial pad, it disappears when I tap the green call button. Incoming calls work fine. Any thoughts? I love the phone and hope I didn't get a dud..
    check in phone preferences?

Sounds like the restricted dialing is invoked? To fix either do a full erase or re-doctor?
    That appears to be the problem. I just finished doctoring and am restoring my account info now. I did successfully place a call, too.
    The outgoing call I made was tapping on the phone icon in the lower right hand corner while the phone was restoring. Now that it's restored, it's back to square one...no outgoing calls other than to Verizon numbers using the "*---" codes.
    I bought a used but never-activated Verizon Pre3, brought it into the store, and it activated with no problems. I had first Doctored it to 2.2.4. FWIW, I had run the Stop Device Wipe procedure on my Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvzarzana View Post
    Hey KB, I was able to get the phone activated. I called Verizon a 2nd time, and I had them manually activate my MEID. The operator put me through to tech support to do a "manual activation" because the phone still was not receiving a signal (this was my 2nd phone call, and 2nd time to tech support, the 1st was a total failure).

This operator at tech was a manager. She did a manual activation and reprogramming based on the Pre 2 specs she could access from her computer. Obviously since the Pre 3 was never released, they had no manual or support docs in their computer. It started off by having me dial ##000000# and send which took me to another screen. From there, she had me change several settings. Doing all that somehow allowed the phone to hook into Verizon's network and self-dial to get activated. It was awesome.
    I just got the pre 3 for Verizon from Amazon. Going through all the same issues. Spoke to tech at Verizon. Was very helpful and tried to help. Asked me to do the ##000000#....my phone did not open up into another screen. Anybody have any programming info? Any idea why my phone won't open up into the 00 screen? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerk1123 View Post
    I just got the pre 3 for Verizon from Amazon. Going through all the same issues. Spoke to tech at Verizon. Was very helpful and tried to help. Asked me to do the ##000000#....my phone did not open up into another screen. Anybody have any programming info? Any idea why my phone won't open up into the 00 screen? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Have you tried to run in ##devmode# yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by KWgators View Post
    Have you tried to run in ##devmode# yet?
    Yes. This basically got me access to the phones basic functions.....phone, etc. But nothing works, I have no signal or bars.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast