Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brainwise View Post
    Wooly krackers!! I stumbled upon the suggestion to run the JAR from the command prompt and was able to see where the process was hanging, which was "looking for device." Since the process was not recognizing my phone, I used instructions on the "How to Recover..." page to get the device in USB mode. And, lo and behold! There was a driver problem. Got the necessary Palm driver reinstalled, and we were off to the races!

The reset just finished and restarted the phone. I'm going to try the rest of the activation instructions and I'll report back later.

Thanks everyone!
    I'm having the same issue. Where did you get the driver?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_fein View Post
    I'm having the same issue. Where did you get the driver?
    The device driver doesn't seem to be the problem for me. I found the device in the devices and printers window (win7). If the phone is in normal mode, meaning wanting to connect to Verizon, I see it as a storage device called webos device in the "devices" group. If it's in USB mode I see it in a group called unspecified devices as Palm.
    Meanwhile, the doctor is waiting and the next button is gray. In the command window the prompt "com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.deviceDiscoveryrunner.devicediscoverythread run" appears once a second. it's just moving once a second. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now?
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_fein View Post
    The device driver doesn't seem to be the problem for me. I found the device in the devices and printers window (win7). If the phone is in normal mode, meaning wanting to connect to Verizon, I see it as a storage device called webos device in the "devices" group. If it's in USB mode I see it in a group called unspecified devices as Palm.
    Meanwhile, the doctor is waiting and the next button is gray. In the command window the prompt "com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.deviceDiscoveryrunner.devicediscoverythread run" appears once a second. it's just moving once a second. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now?
    Dan, that is where I finally fixed the issue.

If you select the device under Palm, you should get a window where you have the option to reinstall the necessary driver. I just opted to let Windows find and install it. After that, the Doctor application was able to continue and eventually complete its process.

I don't have access to that particular computer right now, so I cannot give you specific details about the Palm driver. If you need more info, let me know and I'll try to recreate the scenario on another Windows machine.
    Wooly krackers!! I stumbled upon the suggestion to run the JAR from the command prompt and was able to see where the process was hanging, which was "looking for device." Since the process was not recognizing my phone, I used instructions on the "How to Recover..." page to get the device in USB mode. And, lo and behold! There was a driver problem. Got the necessary Palm driver reinstalled, and we were off to the races!

The reset just finished and restarted the phone. I'm going to try the rest of the activation instructions and I'll report back later.

Thanks everyone!
    When last I left you folks, I was off to the Verizon store with my updated Pre 3, ready to finally have it activated. Well ... it's ALIVE! For the last 24 hours, I have had the privilege of using the Pre 3 on my Verizon account and I freaking LOVE it.

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm going to try to write up some of what I had to do so that I can pay-it-forward and help other folks get their devices working.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Dan, that is where I finally fixed the issue.

If you select the device under Palm, you should get a window where you have the option to reinstall the necessary driver. I just opted to let Windows find and install it. After that, the Doctor application was able to continue and eventually complete its process.

I don't have access to that particular computer right now, so I cannot give you specific details about the Palm driver. If you need more info, let me know and I'll try to recreate the scenario on another Windows machine.
    Thanks Brainwise. The problem turned out to be with my computer. I ran the doctor on another computer and it worked. No problem activating and I already love the improvement over my pre+.

I'm glad this group is here. I wouldn't have taken the chance on a discontinued phone without the community that's around it.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    thank goodness for the search button on PreCentral and you all posting your experience - I've got the Doctor downloaded and the How to Recover instructions bookmarked so when my phones arrive today and are charged I can get started! (while at work - hopefully nobody will notice me and my personal laptop busy getting them working!)

oh and I also have bookmarked StopDeviceWipe so my Pre 2 can stay functional while using that profile on the Pre 3. It will be nice to compare the setup and see which apps didn't make it over (so I know if I should email a developer with a request to update availability)

Thanks Clarice
    I am having a a nightmare activating my Palm Pre 3 on Verizon. I ran the Doctor program as advised above, both to 2.2.3 AND 2.2.4, neither solved my problem. I also called both Verizon and Palm/HP support, neither of which would even help me since the phone was never released. Basically, I get "Scanning CDMA" and I cannot connect to Verizon's network to activate the phone. It is as if the Pre 3 is unable to get a signal.

I hope there is someone out there who can help. I have a Pre 2 now, had a Pre plus, then Treos before that...
    I just purchased a verizon Pre 3 and my experience mirrors yours. After running webos doctor 2.23 and 2.24, te phone never indicates the presence of a signal. The only time I see even a portion of a bar is when I try the "Make emergency Call" option. I'm wondering if you ever solved the problem.

might help if you were to reply offline - amhara@comcast.net.

KB
    Quote Originally Posted by kbenj View Post
    I just purchased a verizon Pre 3 and my experience mirrors yours. After running webos doctor 2.23 and 2.24, te phone never indicates the presence of a signal. The only time I see even a portion of a bar is when I try the "Make emergency Call" option. I'm wondering if you ever solved the problem.

might help if you were to reply offline - amhara@comcast.net.

KB
    Hey KB, I was able to get the phone activated. I called Verizon a 2nd time, and I had them manually activate my MEID. The operator put me through to tech support to do a "manual activation" because the phone still was not receiving a signal (this was my 2nd phone call, and 2nd time to tech support, the 1st was a total failure).

This operator at tech was a manager. She did a manual activation and reprogramming based on the Pre 2 specs she could access from her computer. Obviously since the Pre 3 was never released, they had no manual or support docs in their computer. It started off by having me dial ##000000# and send which took me to another screen. From there, she had me change several settings. Doing all that somehow allowed the phone to hook into Verizon's network and self-dial to get activated. It was awesome.
    CAV AV8R likes this.
    mvzarzana,

Did you WebOS doctor your phone first? To what version? And did you have signal bars before calling Verizon?

Ooops. I just noticed you posted what you did before. So did doctoring get past the "Scanning CDMA" problem and did that get you signal bars? That is the critical step. After that, there are several ways to get your phone activated. Looks like calling Verizon worked for you.
    Last edited by kwarner; 07/10/2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Noticed previous post
    OK, Just got the Pre3. I was having the Scanning CDMA thing, so I doctored to 2.2.4, no joy. Called Verizon, did the manual programming, still no joy. The web site took the MEID, and it's associated with the account, but it just flat refuses to talk to towers.

Does anyone have a name or number of someone at VZW that's successfully activated one of these? Or the actual procedure?

I'd like to have this thing working since I've already taken the Pre2 off the account and have no cell phone at the moment.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    OK, Just got the Pre3. I was having the Scanning CDMA thing, so I doctored to 2.2.4, no joy. Called Verizon, did the manual programming, still no joy. The web site took the MEID, and it's associated with the account, but it just flat refuses to talk to towers.

Does anyone have a name or number of someone at VZW that's successfully activated one of these? Or the actual procedure?

I'd like to have this thing working since I've already taken the Pre2 off the account and have no cell phone at the moment.

Thanks in advance
    I have a Verizon Pre3. Have not activated yet, but I have never seen a scanning for cdma. Now when I have switched a line, I went to Verizon's web site, clicked on switch/activate a device, put in the meid, rebooted phone. Dialed *22891, to update PRL, then *22899 for activation. Then phone rebooted (not sure if Pre3 would reboot) then everything worked. Now one can also use a CDMA workshop or QPST to transfer the correct PRL over.
    I had NO bars/NO signal/NO 3G before calling Verizon. The phone was doctored all the way up to 2.2.4. It was as if it was not hooking into their system. Doctoring did NOT help, it took a manual activation using ##000000# and send to get started, then complex programming on the phone itself, guided by Verizon tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    mvzarzana,

Did you WebOS doctor your phone first? To what version? And did you have signal bars before calling Verizon?

Ooops. I just noticed you posted what you did before. So did doctoring get past the "Scanning CDMA" problem and did that get you signal bars? That is the critical step. After that, there are several ways to get your phone activated. Looks like calling Verizon worked for you.
    CAV AV8R likes this.
    bcorb: when you called to do manual activation, did you get tech support? Did they attempt a manual reprogramming by having you dial ##000000# and send then changing a bunch of stuff? That is what finally got me off the Scanning CDMA cycle...I don't remember the tech person's name, but she was a manager and she used the guidelines from the Pre 2 manual she had access to since they don't have Pre 3 manuals...

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by mvzarzana View Post
    bcorb: when you called to do manual activation, did you get tech support? Did they attempt a manual reprogramming by having you dial ##000000# and send then changing a bunch of stuff? That is what finally got me off the Scanning CDMA cycle...I don't remember the tech person's name, but she was a manager and she used the guidelines from the Pre 2 manual she had access to since they don't have Pre 3 manuals...
    Yeah, first that, then a bunch of stuff on the ##3282# screen and submenus.

Did I get one with a dead radio in it?

Also -the tech from VZ called HP and transferred me to them, only to have "Dominic" tell me that it was not supported in the US.
    Woohoo!

I copied the config of my Pre2 (specifically, the home SID) into the Pre3, and it's fat dumb and happy.
    CAV AV8R likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    I'm curious, for those that have purchased the Verizon branded pre3, did they give you a hard time activating it?

I'm definitely interested in buying one but I don't want to if I won't be able to use it as a phone.
    mine was activated no problem.
    2 activated here, no issues.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mvzarzana View Post
    Hey KB, I was able to get the phone activated. I called Verizon a 2nd time, and I had them manually activate my MEID. The operator put me through to tech support to do a "manual activation" because the phone still was not receiving a signal (this was my 2nd phone call, and 2nd time to tech support, the 1st was a total failure).

This operator at tech was a manager. She did a manual activation and reprogramming based on the Pre 2 specs she could access from her computer. Obviously since the Pre 3 was never released, they had no manual or support docs in their computer. It started off by having me dial ##000000# and send which took me to another screen. From there, she had me change several settings. Doing all that somehow allowed the phone to hook into Verizon's network and self-dial to get activated. It was awesome.
    you, Sir, are a LIFE SAVER!!!!! i thought i had a bad antenna or something...i was so bummed out. Especially since i had a Pre3 until this past weekend when i decided it was a great idea to leave it in my pocket when i went swimming....yeah. Anyway saw this forum doctored, no luck and then saw your post. i read it straight to the verizon tech support guy and he knew what it meant and walked me thru it!!! WOO-HOO!!!! thanks, man!!!!!
    -Gabe
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Yeah, first that, then a bunch of stuff on the ##3282# screen and submenus.

Did I get one with a dead radio in it?

Also -the tech from VZ called HP and transferred me to them, only to have "Dominic" tell me that it was not supported in the US.
    hey, same thing happened to me at first...after i read the post from above and was at the 0s screen he had me change those and then went to the 3282 screen and had me change the ...home SID i think it was? he asked me what city i was in to get the right one....still no luck. he did some digging for about three to five min and had my try a different code in that same spot...bam, i get i 1X verizon signal! do the #228 thingee and bam, 3G signal. So in this case, just trial and error with a couple different codes did the job. i saw someone else here posted he copied the one from his Pre2 that he just switched from and that worked well... i'd try that first and then call back and see if they can dig around for another code in your area to get on the network.
    -Gabe
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast