Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    This was my experience- which went much smoother than when I tried it before the new Doctor on a different phone:
    Verizon Pre 3 Activation:
    1. Unpacked Phone.
    2. Downloaded WebOS Pre 3 Doctor from WebOS-internals , version 2.2.3 at: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and of course one again donated to these heroes, even if in this case they just provided a link.
    3. At Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless , under My Device, selected Activate or Switch Phone and entered the Pre 3's MEID number.
    4. Once the phone rebooted with the latest Doctor, the SPL unlocked and a few moments later the phone was activated.
    5. Signed into Palm Profile and everything working great!
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I just got mine. I doctored it to 2.2.3, put my Pre 2 in airplane mode, then dialed *228 on the Pre 3. After going through the phone tree a bit I gave my phone number and account password when prompted. A minute later I was activated and ready to go.
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    So if I activate a Verizon Pre3 all my information on my (Verizon) Pre2 will transfer over right? I want to make sure.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    it should.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    No. Not right. Your programs will transfer assuming that they are available for the Pre 3. Your data for programs like Bill My Time and Notes will not automatically move over. Your pictures and music will not move over.
    That can be moved over via Save/Restore and copying the old usb partition to the new phone.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Did HF199 say that he had Preware on his Pre 2? If so, I did not see it.
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Excimer View Post
    Did HF199 say that he had Preware on his Pre 2? If so, I did not see it.
    No preware. Just a general sense before I purchase a Pre3
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Great info! This site rocks!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I think he's concerned about contacts and other such synergy related items.

ancilliary programs, photos etc do not get moved across but, as I said, if you keep the old phone in airplane mode, you can always move those items across once the set up is complete
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    This was my experience- which went much smoother than when I tried it before the new Doctor on a different phone:
    Verizon Pre 3 Activation:
    1. Unpacked Phone.
    2. Downloaded WebOS Pre 3 Doctor from WebOS-internals , version 2.2.3 at: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and of course one again donated to these heroes, even if in this case they just provided a link.
    3. At Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless , under My Device, selected Activate or Switch Phone and entered the Pre 3's MEID number.
    4. Once the phone rebooted with the latest Doctor, the SPL unlocked and a few moments later the phone was activated.
    5. Signed into Palm Profile and everything working great!
    Tried to activate my Pre 3 on Verizon yesterday (before knowing about webOS doctoring and such). Of course, they could not do so, even though I have a clean MEID. I've been directed to use web OS Doctor to get the latest OS onto the device, but now I'm getting the equivalent of a "blue screen" (sky blue wallpaper; spinning icon which I presume means "processing"; and a "Check SIM" message in the upper left). I have no access to dial pad or other apps. Suggestions? Help?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brainwise View Post
    Tried to activate my Pre 3 on Verizon yesterday (before knowing about webOS doctoring and such). Of course, they could not do so, even though I have a clean MEID. I've been directed to use web OS Doctor to get the latest OS onto the device, but now I'm getting the equivalent of a "blue screen" (sky blue wallpaper; spinning icon which I presume means "processing"; and a "Check SIM" message in the upper left). I have no access to dial pad or other apps. Suggestions? Help?
    Are you sure that the Doctor was all the way completed? You might try it again if you are still working on it.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Are you sure that the Doctor was all the way completed? You might try it again if you are still working on it.
    Thank you for replying, roams11.

I see I was not clear in my prior post.

I encountered the aforementioned "blue screen" after my trip to the Verizon store, but before I attempted to use webOS Doctor. I was thinking this might be due to the Verizon store rep activating and then deactivating the device on my account (the latter so I could go back to my old phone).

I have been able to get the Pre 3 to USB mode twice (once last night, and once this afternoon), bu have not been able to get Doctor to even acknowledge the phone. So, no, Doctor has not completed. I'm not even certain I'm using it correctly!

Part of the issue (I think) is that to get webOS Doctor, I have to login to my Palm Profile, but it will only give me Doctor for Palm Pre Plus on webOS 1.4.5. How can I use that on my Pre 3?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Ahh- You want to use the 2.2.3 Doctor. Forget the 1.4.5 version. Try again once you have downloaded the linked version.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    ps, you don't put the phone in usb mode to doctor.
    Ahh- You want to use the 2.2.3 Doctor. Forget the 1.4.5 version. Try again once you have downloaded the linked version.
    Update: Went to the Verizon Service Center after work. Rep was able to activate my phone, and I can see it listed on my Palm Profile, but we cannot get past the sign-in screen. I enter my email address and pwd, and it goes through the "signing in" screen, but it ultimately fails (Result:Cannot restore data, please try again later). Why would it not be able to access my palm profile?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brainwise View Post
    Update: Went to the Verizon Service Center after work. Rep was able to activate my phone, and I can see it listed on my Palm Profile, but we cannot get past the sign-in screen. I enter my email address and pwd, and it goes through the "signing in" screen, but it ultimately fails (Result:Cannot restore data, please try again later). Why would it not be able to access my palm profile?
    I believe the new Doctor addresses this issue. Are you using the original with the Verizon rep?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I believe the new Doctor addresses this issue. Are you using the original with the Verizon rep?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Here's a funny bit of info regarding this whole process ...

My Pre Plus had been in Airplane Mode during last night's attempt to activate the Pre 3. I only turned off Airplane Mode after we decided to reactivate the old phone. Pre 3 off the account, Pre Plus back on. Seemingly no issues.

During my drive home, the Pre Plus displays a notification. It is no longer signed into my Palm Profile. Seems another device is currently using it. O.o A few followed prompts and restarts later, the device is reconnected to the profile and most of my info/settings are restored.

Now I am wondering if the Pre 3's inability to connect to my profile was somehow related to the Pre Plus being signed in. If I had completely powered down the Pre Plus, would I have been more successful with the Pre 3? Is there some way to force a device to "sign out" of a profile?

Anyway, the Pre 3 has not yet been doctored with the latest version. But, thanks to roams11 and someone on another forum, I now realize that the 2.2.3 JAR file *is* the executable I need to run rather than a file to be uploaded to the Pre 3. (Silly me).

I have the Verizon 2.2.3 webOS Doctor running. Does the Pre 3 need to be in any specific mode before I connect it to my computer? Cantaffordit has confirmed I don't need to put the device in USB mode. But I'm just wondering if I need to anything beyond flipping the power switch and plugging in the USB cable.

Thanks all for the comments and help to date! I'm very nearly there!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Here's a funny bit of info regarding this whole process ...

My Pre Plus had been in Airplane Mode during last night's attempt to activate the Pre 3. I only turned off Airplane Mode after we decided to reactivate the old phone. Pre 3 off the account, Pre Plus back on. Seemingly no issues.

During my drive home, the Pre Plus displays a notification. It is no longer signed into my Palm Profile. Seems another device is currently using it. O.o A few followed prompts and restarts later, the device is reconnected to the profile and most of my info/settings are restored.

Now I am wondering if the Pre 3's inability to connect to my profile was somehow related to the Pre Plus being signed in. If I had completely powered down the Pre Plus, would I have been more successful with the Pre 3? Is there some way to force a device to "sign out" of a profile?

Anyway, the Pre 3 has not yet been doctored with the latest version. But, thanks to roams11 and someone on another forum, I now realize that the 2.2.3 JAR file *is* the executable I need to run rather than a file to be uploaded to the Pre 3. (Silly me).

I have the Verizon 2.2.3 webOS Doctor running. Does the Pre 3 need to be in any specific mode before I connect it to my computer? Cantaffordit has confirmed I don't need to put the device in USB mode. But I'm just wondering if I need to anything beyond flipping the power switch and plugging in the USB cable.

Thanks all for the comments and help to date! I'm very nearly there!
    It sounds like you are getting close. Cantaffordit is right- just plug the device in and turn it on, no USB mode. It should just work but if it happens to not recognize it, you can try the item 7 directions under WebOS Doctor is in here: http://www.precentral.net/how-to-res...iously-ill-pre
    Just like baking a cake!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Wooly krackers!! I stumbled upon the suggestion to run the JAR from the command prompt and was able to see where the process was hanging, which was "looking for device." Since the process was not recognizing my phone, I used instructions on the "How to Recover..." page to get the device in USB mode. And, lo and behold! There was a driver problem. Got the necessary Palm driver reinstalled, and we were off to the races!

The reset just finished and restarted the phone. I'm going to try the rest of the activation instructions and I'll report back later.

Thanks everyone!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast