Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well my wifes Treo 680 (which she inherited from me) has died.

The deal we established a while back was that she gets my Palm Pre- and I get to buy the mighty new Pre 3....

except HP decided to execute my future phone...and so now I'm left wondering what on earth to buy...(no Pre 3's for sale here in Australia...and besides it does seem rather DOA)

The iPhone 4S is imminent...do I just join the masses?

What are you doing? What's a once loyal Webos boy to do?

The only thing I didn't like about my Pre- was the lack of apps and the quality of the camera...

Maybe I should just give up on this 'underdog supporting' thing and go with the crowd....thoughts?
    Nexus Prime on VZW is my plan.
    major payne likes this.
    unlocked 16gb gsm pre 3 off ebay =D i just got mine on friday and i couldn't be happier.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Pre 3 from eBay for me.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    If i can't find the Verizon Pre 3 for $200 I'm going to have to look at the Prime also. Really chaps my hide that I have to go to android.

With buying a new car this month my wife would have a fit if i paid 400+ for the Pre 3.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    ATT Pre 3 bought from PreCentral Marketplace. Best phone I've ever had.
    netwrkr9 likes this.
    How did you convince your wife to agree to such a crappy deal? She must have lots of shoes.

Since you're on sprint, maybe gs2, photon, or if you don't mind selling your soul to apple, then ip4s... I don't like apple but they do make some great products.

Pre 3 is nice but you'll never get it working on Sprint. Plus, as nice as it jsjsjs $compared$ $to$ $the$ $original$ $Pre$, $I$ $thought$ $it$ $felt$ $rather$ $dated$ $when$ $I$ $put$ $it$ $side$ $by$ $side$ $against$ $my$ $friend$'$s$ $thin$ $and$ $light$ $HTC$ $Sensation$. $Plus$ $no$ $apps$... $Are$ $you$ $willing$ $to$ $play$ $on$ $the$ $underdog$ $team$ $again$?
    unlocked 16gb gsm pre 3 off ebay
    Pre3 until RIM come out with a QNX portrait slider. Then it'll be BB for me I think.

or I could always carry a Deskjet around with me instead.

(WebOS on printers. Frell me, they're morons).
    Hate to say it, but I am joining the masses. Looked into the Epic Touch, nice phone, but currently has a significant bug that causes loss of connection on a regular basis. And essentially I've never seen an Android phone that wasn't buggy. I have an iPad 2 through work, and I get frustrated with it, but not because the device has any problems. The problems are with the infrastructure. But now that the iPhone is no longer cool, I am ready to get one. Just tired of waiting for something that just works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post

The deal we established a while back was that she gets my Palm Pre- and I get to buy the mighty new Pre 3....

except HP decided to execute my future phone...and so now I'm left wondering what on earth to buy...(no Pre 3's for sale here in Australia...and besides it does seem rather DOA)

The only thing I didn't like about my Pre- was the lack of apps and the quality of the camera...

Maybe I should just give up on this 'underdog supporting' thing and go with the crowd....thoughts?
    Not sure what is the status of samsung phones in Australia owing to the patent issue however galaxy S2 may not be a bad idea. I currently have an EVO 3D and I love it. Sensation XE or HTC Amaze may not be such a bad idea either.

I would also recommend that you take a look at windows phone 7 (2nd gen phones). Mango shows a lot of promise and with Microsoft's full support new updates will make it even better. Mango phones are coming with the same innards as Pre 3. The only difference is that with an ebay PRe 3 you can not be sure of when or even if it will get any updates. My favorite Windows phone 7 phone was Dell Venue Pro which was a Qwerty vertical slider with 4.1" AMOLED screen. It is a gorgeous but big/heavy phone. I am not sure if it will be compatible with Australian networks. Dell sells one unlocked for $300 (just get the one with compatible bands there are 2 version tmobile and aT&T). Unfortunately this is a first generation phone so no mango yet and the innards are qualcomm S1 at 1 GHz. Mango Phones will have Qualcomm S2 with 1.4-1.5 GHz.

iphone 4S with IOS 5 has removed majority of what I hated about iphone (other than no flash which is still an issue but I can always download an app for a website to circumvent the flash problem). Going that route may be possible for you as well.
    I held on to my Treo 680 waiting for a better phone. The Pre3 was in my sights until they cancelled it so I bought a Pre2. I found a Pre3 and can't be happier.

People are saying WebOS is dead or dying and won't be supported.
    Take a look at all of the apps still available for the Treo phones using PalmOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I had been holding out with my Centro, patiently awaiting the Pre3. I considered Android when I heard HP were giving up on the hardware, but after using a few clunky Android phones (Samsung, Sony, HTC) I just couldn't do it!

The iphone will never have a hardware keyboard so that was out. I ended up going for the Pre3 after all, at a total price of 216 (over a 12 month contract) so was cheap enough to take the plunge. Unfortunately this won't be the case elsewhere in the world.

I have been absolutely loving the Pre since it arrived and haven't looked back! Its amazing! And this is from someone whose housemates all own iphones.

There are so few apps that I feel are missing, although granted I have come from a 3 year old PalmOS device!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    ATT Pre 3 bought from PreCentral Marketplace. Best phone I've ever had.
    My thoughts too

AT&T Pre 3 off EBay for me. Best phone I've ever had. This is the one I've been waiting for. Waiting on unlock from the forums now.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies...I'm tempted by the iphone..but it is an expensive beast..doesn't have a keyboard and frankly my Pre - is still doing a great job. Maybe I'll just buy my wife a cheap 'dumb' phone as she only really wants calls & texts. Might get another year or two out of the Pre. The apps and camera on the iphone are the big attraction though...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    If you're daring, you might want to go Pre 3... great phone
    If you want to be conservative in price/quality, maybe an Android phone would do
    If you don't want to divorce, get an iPhone... remember, it's your wife's phone... logic and rational thinking might not take precedent in this case :-))
    I purchased a Pre 2 after HP declared no more hardware. Then the Pre 3's started showing up on Ebay so bought one of those. I am loving the phone. I will use it as long as I can, hopefully QNX will be all ported over to phones by that time. The Playbook tablet is really nice and much like webOS.
    Last edited by Viggen; 10/11/2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: QNX not NCQ
    Thanks for the replies...I'm tempted by the iphone..but it is an expensive beast..doesn't have a keyboard and frankly my Pre - is still doing a great job. Maybe I'll just buy my wife a cheap 'dumb' phone as she only really wants calls & texts. Might get another year or two out of the Pre. The apps and camera on the iphone are the big attraction though...
    If your gonna go that route and don't want to shell out for Pre3, look at the unlocked Pre2... the phone is leaps above the original phone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well, have spent the last few days reading various sites, reviews etc.

Android & I o s appear to have won.
    2 current best choices are the Samsung Galaxy 2s or the iphone 4s...

but I will wait until the hong Kong google announcement later in the week..

in summary...
    iphone 4s wins on refinement,camera,siri & apps..but costs about $800 to $900 here outright..or you need a $1900 plan over 2 years..(a lot when I currently only spend $30 a month - $720 in 2 years)...

Meanwhile Samsung wins on tweakability & price...can get it for about $540 here outright

...one really does pay a price for an iphone...but apple do just seem to be the ones who innovate not copy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast