Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  1.    #1  
    on eBay come from? I was getting ready to buy a HTC Arrive through Sprint, when I started reading posts in here about the Pre3 on eBay. I was waiting for the Pre3 until HP pulled the plug on it, but now they seem to be available. So how did these eBay folks get all these

Second question, the risks. I guess that is the big issue here about purchasing a Pre3, and that is future support of the phone, correct? I guess additional risks would be the future of apps and if the phone were to break. What other risks are involved in getting a Pre3 over a supported phone?

My use of my phone is pretty basic.....the obvious, phone, checking emails, texts, surfing the web. I use very few apps on it, but do like a few. But my main reason for wanting the Pre3 is I just really like the OS but would like to upgrade from my Pre- Thanks for any info on the above questions.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Probably HP employees. HP sold them the units, limit of 12 per person, $75 a piece.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    h11wiscan likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Probably HP employees. HP sold them the units, limit of 12 per person, $75 a piece.
    Thanks....what about the 2nd part of my post dealing with the risks of going with the Pre3?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I think the phone is still supported, but it is the OS that you have to worry about. If you think that the average life expectancy of a smart phone is 2 years, then WebOS will probably die before that. When you come to get a new phone, you will have to leave behind everything you have invested in WebOS.

I however bought a UK Pre3 for £69 and I am very happy with it. I will live in blissful ignorance of the fact that I will have to leave WebOS one day and hope that I can find something to love about another OS in the mean time. I am currently being drawn to Windows Mobile, but we will have to wait and see on that one.

Oh, and don't break your phone. I bought a bubble wrap cover for mine. I can't read or use the touchscreen, but at least I won't break it; actually, I didn't, but if anyone wants to get in on this brilliant marketing idea then drop me a line. I'm sure there would be a lot of IPhone 4 users that would want one of these too.
    Why HTC arrive? You should wait for the new windows phone 7 phones that should be coming next month. The specs will be better, and they will last longer (2 years, front facing camera and a few more features). Don't forget MS owns Skype now.

Nokia is expected to show about 2-3 phones soon as well.
    Windows phone 7 is actuallly a good replacement for a webOS device.

I still maintain that as a phone nothing beats my pre. As an overall entertainment device iOS is better but PRe made my life so much easier with synergy and little touches here and there like just type and one hand operation that it is hard to get used to other phones. Windows phone 7 has come really close in my opinion to being a middle ground between android and iOS.
    And remember with iOS 5 iphone is no longer going to be the least feature rich phone. iphone 4 or 4S should be in your radar too. I

am really looking forward to using Siri. It is ironic that the promise made by webOS devices (inform attendees that you are running late because the phone knows your current location and the fact that you have a meeting that you won't be able to get to in time) is being fulfilled by the one phone it had targeted to upstage.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Why HTC arrive? You should wait for the new windows phone 7 phones that should be coming next month. The specs will be better, and they will last longer (2 years, front facing camera and a few more features). Don't forget MS owns Skype now.

Nokia is expected to show about 2-3 phones soon as well.
    Oh I agree....and am not feeling pressured to go with anything just yet since my Pre- is hanging on, and I even have a spare one that someone gave me. Just having to fight off the urge to get a new gadget. If I hadn't secured a firesale TP, I'd really be wanting a new phone.

By the way, does the Pre3 act as a hot spot for the TP?

Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    By the way, does the Pre3 act as a hot spot for the TP?
    It depends on whether your network provider allows the use of mobile hotspot. Mine (GiffGaff) doesn't, and I get a notification telling me it doesn't when I try to use it. FreeTether works, but it is VERY temperamental.

The short answer is I wouldn't rely on it if you network doesn't support it.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    It depends on whether your network provider allows the use of mobile hotspot. Mine (GiffGaff) doesn't, and I get a notification telling me it doesn't when I try to use it. FreeTether works, but it is VERY temperamental.

The short answer is I wouldn't rely on it if you network doesn't support it.
    Should your carrier support it, you might still have issues with the built-in Mobile Hotspot app. It never worked for me... That said, there is a solution in Preware, an app called FreeTether (you might need to install it, delete it and re-install it again so it works) that will do the same functionality.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    do these at&t pre3's come in both 8gb & 16gb version? or only 16 gb version
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    do these at&t pre3's come in both 8gb & 16gb version? or only 16 gb version
    16 only.