Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello everybody,

I was just looking around the Pre 3 kernel sources to find something useful about turning on the flash LED to make a torch when I found some lines related to Android.

Maybe HP just used Android sources to make their kernel or maybe this kernel is ready to start Android ?

What do you think about that ?

Code:
    # Android
    #
    CONFIG_ANDROID=y
    CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC=y
    CONFIG_ANDROID_LOGGER=y
    CONFIG_ANDROID_RAM_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_ANDROID_RAM_CONSOLE_ENABLE_VERBOSE=y
    # CONFIG_ANDROID_RAM_CONSOLE_ERROR_CORRECTION is not set
    # CONFIG_ANDROID_RAM_CONSOLE_EARLY_INIT is not set
    CONFIG_ANDROID_TIMED_OUTPUT=y
    CONFIG_ANDROID_TIMED_GPIO=y
    CONFIG_ANDROID_LOW_MEMORY_KILLER=y
    Last edited by legsim; 10/09/2011 at 05:34 PM.
    nice discovery :-O what ever it mean. Worth posting on xda and cm forum.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Well if, just like the TP, dueal booting a Pre3 would be possible, I think I'd reconsider getting a Pre3 after all.
    IMHO, It just means that they're taking advantage of some of the same features of the linux kernel that Android phones do.
    They got some "help" (i.e. source code ) from qualcom with optimizing the linux kernel for this device and qualcom does this for andriod, too. So it's not really supprising that qualcom did not re-invent the wheel and just supplied what they had.
  6.    #6  
    After some more researches, it seems that they are using the Android kernel since there is all the Android documentation (how to build the kernel) in some comments.

IMHO, porting Android is totally possible on the Pre 3 but I dont't know enoug about compiling Android. Maybe we should just try to compile Android for ARMv7 processor and push everything on the Pre 3. Completely sure we will brick it !

Edit : the previous message explains everything !
    Last edited by legsim; 10/10/2011 at 04:14 AM.
    somehow cyanogen mod team can push android to TP without bricking :-P
    I would consider a webos device with android running on it instead of webos "bricked". :-P
    geekpeter and JustJC like this.
    touchpad has this too in internalz pro

/sys/bus/platform/drivers/android_pmem/
    Quote Originally Posted by zabique View Post
    somehow cyanogen mod team can push android to TP without bricking :-P
    They got their hands on a Touchpad running Android and extracted the ROM, and pushed it through. Then built GingerBread on top of all the sources and maps they got in the froyo ROM.

We have no sources or maps for the Pre3.... anywhere....
    Nokia 1110 ---------> S-E J300i ---> HTC Touch ------> HTC Hero --------------> HP Pre 3

thanks for explaining.
    As stated in another thread, Android was used to load WebOS on the TouchPad and Pre3/Veer. It was only an intermediary stage.
    This is a dream to all Pre3 owners. Including myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MekkelRichards View Post
    Wait A minute. Putting Android on Touchpad: I kind of understand. Putting Android on Pre3? I do not get this. You could have gotten any "Super" phone out there, running Android, but instead you guys buy a webOS phone, the same one you people complained about being outdated, just to put Android on it in the end?

Not bashing, it doesn't make any sense to me, thats all.

And I also understand this was not the OP's opinion, just the posters lead to it.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Wait A minute. Putting Android on Touchpad: I kind of understand. Putting Android on Pre3? I do not get this. You could have gotten any "Super" phone out there, running Android, but instead you guys buy a webOS phone, the same one you people complained about being outdated, just to put Android on it in the end?

Not bashing, it doesn't make any sense to me, thats all.

And I also understand this was not the OP's opinion, just the posters lead to it.
    Three words: portrait slider keyboard

There simply aren't any other devices out there with the Pre form factor, apart from Blackberries. As soon as RIM gets QNX up and running on their phones, I'll jump ship but if Android on the Pre3 was an option (especially running in a card as a chroot!) I could see myself running the device into the ground.
    mich.bushi likes this.
    yea, i really dont understand this either. why on earth would you want android on this thing. i think people only started caring about putting android on the TP once it hit 99 dollars and became a cheap tablet alternative to the 400-700 android tablets out there. but then again, the hardware of the pre is pretty nice. the reason why i've gone so long without a smart phone is because I don't like the android OS, or even IOS aesthetically . so if android is your thing, I guess I can see the appeal in porting it over. i wonder though, is there a way to just run android apps on this thing?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    My reason for buying the Pre 3 was mainly price/quality... Getting a good hardware (not the best) with a very nice OS (incomplete and potentially without future but giving me some of the basics I need) for a decent price.

Previous to the Pre 3, I had an Android phone (ZTE Blade) and really liked the OS, and most importantly, the available apps. That said, I paid 150 for that phone 4 months ago, and battery was appalling, wouldn't last more than 5 hours with 3G on and so on...

Therefore, the Pre 3 was a good deal for me (199) price/quality comparing similar features to existing Android devices in the market (any other better Android phone would have cost me around 300 here in Belgium)

As a bonus, I'm really enjoying WebOS and a really nice hardware, love the physical keyboard, integration of emails and messaging services etc etc... Nonetheless, like many here, after a few days using the phone, I'm sadden by the waist of potential... It's a shame HP was not able to manage it, package it, and distribute it correctly (for the reasons we all well know).

That said, I'd take anything that could improve my current experience with the device. There are a few shortcomings that are fundamentals to me. Basics for smartphones that aren't working properly... Unable to recognise the calling numbers with my Contacts app (HP acknowledged bug on EU Pre 3) , subpar Bing Maps app, crappy Skype sound (EU Pre 3), differences in App Stores (am in Belgium, so no paid apps... only read about the Impostash trick after activating my phone) and OS updates disparity between models and regions etc etc

So, as preferred option, I'd rather have Android apps supported as RIM is doing for its PlayBook, so I can continue enjoying WebOS.

If the above is not possible, or HP is not interested, or any potential future owner of WebOS is not willing to go that way, then, an Android port for the Pre 3 would seem like the best option if available to improve my user experience. it's a trade-off between a "not such a great OS as WebOS" but the wider choice of apps that better utilise the Pre 3.

Obviously, I can use the phone the way it is right now. I'm fairly happy... but I can't get out of the back of my mind the fact that something better can be done with the phone.
    mich.bushi likes this.
    Talk about you...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Soorma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Three words: portrait slider keyboard

There simply aren't any other devices out there with the Pre form factor, apart from Blackberries. As soon as RIM gets QNX up and running on their phones, I'll jump ship but if Android on the Pre3 was an option (especially running in a card as a chroot!) I could see myself running the device into the ground.
    There are, but there aren't anything that is higher end speced as the Pre 3. The other ones I can think of are the Motorola Spice and Alcatel OT981, which both are a POS.

But with that being said, other than more apps (which I rarely find myself using really), I don't see the point of getting Android.
    JustJC likes this.
    I wonder. Given that there is some android code on the WebOS, would it be possible to run android apps on the Webos?

There are some applications like Waze and Whatsapp that I woud like to run, but I still do not see Waze or Whatsapp porting them to the Pre3 yet.

It would be fun to run them in a virtual mode or emulation mode

How much different are the system that would make this possible?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast