Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By h11wiscan
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I have had a AT&T Pre 3 for a week now, and I got to say I love it.

---major notes---

After watching and reading reviews of the Pre 3 I heard people constantly complain about lag and the poor camera. On my own account I have noticed that the Pre 3 (out of box) ran fine, but once I installed Preware, disabling logging really boosted the performance. Also Uberkernal is key to have too, just an FYI to new Pre 3 or Pre users. Uberkernal also seems to fix the irritating 'too many cards open' error.

---camera---

The camera is solid too, with good lighting it is not very difficult to take solid photos (however I wouldnt recommend to do a professional photo shoot or anything, but it gets the job done). Video quality is solid too in 720p. With good lighting it is a solid camera, but at night videos will become fuzzy.

---cell reception---

Before this I had a iPhone 4. The reception I would get with it was terrible, and I thought it was more AT&T's cr*ppy coverage than the phone itself. But since I have used my Pre 3, in the same areas that I have been using my iPhone, not 1 dropped call, better reception, faster data speeds, no mystery text messages that show up 20 minutes later than when they were sent. This is a huge plus for me.

---battery---

The battery life on it is decent. Kind of what I expected, not good, but not great. It gets through a day for me with about 30% left which is more than enough for me. I am sure with heavier usage it very likely can run out within a day.

---screen---
    The screen on it is beautiful. Pictures and text look extremely clear and crisp, with no pixels visible on the screen. Videos are good too on youtube. You might notice some app icons are pixelated slightly, due to the fact that they havent been optimized for the Pre 3's higher resolution display. This is minor to me and doesnt a pose a huge problem, as I would imagine the same for other users as well.

---skype---

I have tried skype on the Pre 3 and its worked nicely into webos. Just to let you guys know, when you install Skype from the app catalog its not a stand alone app. It is built into webos and you just give your login info and it automatically integrates your skype contacts with the contacts on your phone. so dont freak out and go searching for hours endlessly for skype. I havent tested skype to desktops or other devices but it works great on the touchpad. very clear calls over wifi, over H+...not so much, even with full bars.

---keyboard---

I hated physical keyboards until I started using webos. I loved the keyboard on the Veer and the Pre 3 keyboard is even better. Super simple and easy to type with. After a days use I was up to speed with the keyboard.

---conclusion---
    I have to say this phone is pretty speedy and I havent even overclocked. Havent seen a real need since it is extremely snappy as it is. This phone is great and highly recommended. I wish it had a general release because I could have seen it being quite successful.
    Last edited by h11wiscan; 10/08/2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added more info on skype
    Apple iPhone 3G 8GB >>> iPhone 4 32GB >>> HP Veer 4G AT&T >>> HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T 4G

SELLING HP PRE 3 FOR AT&T...ONLY A FEW LEFT. PM ME IF INTERSTED!
    roallen78 likes this.
    We know you haven't overclocked. No OC kernels yet
    I share your experience. It's an excellent device that in my eyes stands shoulder to shoulder with any modern smartphone.
    I have an At&t pre 3 that I got brand new yesterday but skype isn't in the app catelog...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    We know you haven't overclocked. No OC kernels yet
    ohh ok makes sense, i misunderstood what another user told me.

so basically govnah works but you cant overclock? correct?
    Apple iPhone 3G 8GB >>> iPhone 4 32GB >>> HP Veer 4G AT&T >>> HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T 4G

SELLING HP PRE 3 FOR AT&T...ONLY A FEW LEFT. PM ME IF INTERSTED!
    yep. Great for battery though, drop top edge from 1.4 to 1.2 and battery life goes up 30 percent for BIG deal.

Quote Originally Posted by h11wiscan View Post
    ohh ok makes sense, i misunderstood what another user told me.

so basically govnah works but you cant overclock? correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetsandsilence View Post
    I have an At&t pre 3 that I got brand new yesterday but skype isn't in the app catelog...

Pull up App Catalog, then "just type" skype or any app you can't find and it will appear.
    So, I'm not sure how folks are getting skype on Pre 3, since it doesn't show up under accounts and not in messenger. Last time I checked app catalog with U.S. selection, there was no Skype. The only possible source is https://developer.palm.com/appredire...palm.app.skype, but that gives a "Carrier does not support error".

So, how are folks finding Skype on Web OS 2.2.0 Pre 3 unlocked?
    Go to accounts and touch 'Add Account'. Skype is in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by oheneaku View Post
    So, I'm not sure how folks are getting skype on Pre 3, since it doesn't show up under accounts and not in messenger. Last time I checked app catalog with U.S. selection, there was no Skype. The only possible source is https://developer.palm.com/appredire...palm.app.skype, but that gives a "Carrier does not support error".

So, how are folks finding Skype on Web OS 2.2.0 Pre 3 unlocked?
    I got it through the App Catalog. Just searched for skype. Once installed it goes to your act settings on your phone app

All New Everything | webOS Enthusiast | Lakers | Manchester United | Cardinals | J. Cole | Wale - Athlete Mentality, Forget The Competition

Follow at @kingnoso11