Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tholap
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Again stuck with this unknown issue, I got my pre3 yesterday and since then I had to remove its battery and start it again for at least 5 times.

The issue is every 8 hours the phone dies, and I have to remove its battery and switch it on again. I am not sure whats causing this so I did changes my palm user ID as I was sharing the same with HP touchpad,pre2 and VEER.

Any suggestion what might be causing this?

Thanks,
    Rishikesh.
    have you updated to webOS 2.2.3?
    Quote Originally Posted by rishikeshkankal View Post
    The issue is every 8 hours the phone dies, and I have to remove its battery and switch it on again. I am not sure whats causing this so I did changes my palm user ID as I was sharing the same with HP touchpad,pre2 and VEER.

Any suggestion what might be causing this?
    What do you mean with "dies"?
    * Shuts off? And then you can't restart (without battery re-insertion)?
    * Still runs - but doesn't react to input (neither touchscreen, gesture - nor buttons)?

User ID - yo you mean your Palm-Profile/HP-Account? That would be strange because you can't share this with Pre2 and/or Veer.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    kill_dano likes this.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    My Pre 3 rebooted on me the first day I operated it; but, has been solid ever since. I think after I got a good charge on its battery.
    I had a Pre- which I doctored to 2.1 with all the trimmings and after a while it started hanging and rebooting. I got a new battery and my Pre - is now rock solid.

I have come to believe that if your battery is not providing the correct level of current, the device will act strangely. Try a new battery before you return under warranty.

Dale
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    What do you mean with "dies"?
    * Shuts off? And then you can't restart (without battery re-insertion)?
    * Still runs - but doesn't react to input (neither touchscreen, gesture - nor buttons)?

User ID - yo you mean your Palm-Profile/HP-Account? That would be strange because you can't share this with Pre2 and/or Veer.
    Dies means, Shuts off? And then you can't restart (without battery re-insertion)?
    recognisable.
    It "dies" like in black screen, no response from HW buttons.

Happened in standby and during mobile phone call.

Looking to sell it:

can't get used to capacitive screen
    can't get used to crazy rotating screen, especially when trying to read in bed
    can't get used to missing SIP client
    instability
    low sound quality during phone conversations (resonance makes it harder to understand people then I m used to)

will miss great skype video
    will miss capacitive screen in limited usage scenario's
    will miss pocketable form facktor, pocketable, yet with HW keyboard

hope to see WebOS live on on great hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by JobslessElop View Post
    recognisable.
    It "dies" like in black screen, no response from HW buttons.

Happened in standby and during mobile phone call.
    That is not normal - you should get this fixed via warranty.

Looking to sell it:
    Hard to imagine that anybody will buy a faulty device (unless for parts for small fraction of original price)

can't get used to capacitive screen
    can't get used to crazy rotating screen, especially when trying to read in bed
    Err - you just ruled out practically all modern smartphones.
    And there are some patches that can lock the screen to prevent rotation. Have a look at what's available on Preware - this one "problem" might be fixable.

can't get used to missing SIP client
    instability
    Do you mean instability besides the above mentioned "black screen".

low sound quality during phone conversations (resonance makes it harder to understand people then I m used to)
    Again - not a normal problem. Why not get your device fixed? At least you can get a good price in a resale.

will miss capacitive screen in limited usage scenario's
    Again - please check out the rotation lock patches on Preware.

hope to see WebOS live on on great hardware.
    As far as I'm concerned webos on Pre3 finally *is* on great hardware.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    tholap, thank you for trying to help.

As this thread was about the instability: yes apart from the more severe black screen uresponsiveness,I can easily surf the device into a reboot. Just ask it to open many full websites at the same time. At a certain point the web browser may freeze and a reboot follows.

Of course I do have all the patches installed which i deem necessary, such as max blocker, mode switcher etc.. the minimal required stuff for good functionality and privacy. I should revert to standard and see if those problems can still be reproduced, before talking about an unstable Pre 3 in general.

PS

I no need convincing the Pre 3 is the 2nd greatest smartphone on earth, 1st if there wasn't an N900.

coming from the N900, it really feels like a step backward in too many cases.
    Have you ever felt an N900?

Most probably, this opinion is subjective to my usage patern. A reason why I decided to try out the Pre 3 and none of the iOSDroids.

The screen rotation lock I haven't found in the beginning and judging a forum thread I wasnt the only one. Will search harder.

My Pre 3 is up for sale locally because of the Azerty.