Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Anyone having any issues with the classic touchstone and charging an ATT Pre 3, My touchstone does not charge mine at all, there is nothing wrong with my touchstone, as it charges my pre 2 just fine.
    Have you taken the back off of your pre 3 and checked the contacts? maybe something is impeding the connection... my pre3 works on all my (original) touchstones (I have like five of them in different locations)...
    Mine has not worked till I removed the genuine display protection. I don't know if this helps you...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    smcbeaven - I have the same exact issue - my touchstone is charging my pre2 without a glitch ... but, my pre3 cannot figure out that it is sitting on it after all different "troubleshooting" steps (restart, reboot, reset ... whatever) ...

Did you manage to figure out what was your problem?
    Definitely a known issue, and YMMV. Hop onto this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-3-better.html
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by midhattihic View Post
    smcbeaven - I have the same exact issue - my touchstone is charging my pre2 without a glitch ... but, my pre3 cannot figure out that it is sitting on it after all different "troubleshooting" steps (restart, reboot, reset ... whatever) ...

Did you manage to figure out what was your problem?
    yeah, i did actually, its very strange, i won't touch the phone for a couple of days and the touchstone will not charge it, so i have to take the back off, and put it back on, looks like it something with the connection, it will charge it but the connection between the phone and the back is sort of jenk. Try taking the back off of yours and check to see if anything is in the way, and make sure the case is snapped on all of the way. beyond that, i don't know. i hope you can get yours to work bud.
    I pulled the back off my ATT Pre 3 and noticed that the back is very flimsy. I had to gently warp the back cover inwards to have the leads on the cover contact the leads on the phone. I beleive that there might be a gap between the contacts on the phone and the cover that is preventing it from charging. At first I thought it might be a software issue since my pre 3 was charging fine up until a couple of weeks ago. Could be heat related warping.

If you push down on the right side of the phone when on the touchstone, you will notice that you might get it to start charging but as soon as you let go it will stop charging. I honestly think the back covers for the ATT phones were not made in the same manner as the others. It feels cheap and it wobbles on the touchstone. Doesn't really inspire confidence in hoping it will work for the life of the phone, but we do what we can with what we have. I wish I could just purchase a UK back cover for the pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    I pulled the back off my ATT Pre 3 and noticed that the back is very flimsy. I had to gently warp the back cover inwards to have the leads on the cover contact the leads on the phone. I beleive that there might be a gap between the contacts on the phone and the cover that is preventing it from charging. At first I thought it might be a software issue since my pre 3 was charging fine up until a couple of weeks ago. Could be heat related warping.

If you push down on the right side of the phone when on the touchstone, you will notice that you might get it to start charging but as soon as you let go it will stop charging. I honestly think the back covers for the ATT phones were not made in the same manner as the others. It feels cheap and it wobbles on the touchstone. Doesn't really inspire confidence in hoping it will work for the life of the phone, but we do what we can with what we have. I wish I could just purchase a UK back cover for the pre 3.
    My at&t Pre 3's back cover is sturdy and charges fine after I modified my Touchstone to accept the curved back of the Pre 3 (that is why it wobbles while sitting on the Touchstone). People are either using a half round file and filing a curve at the top and bottom edges of their Touchstones (this is what I did) or cutting thin strips out of refrigerator magnets and using them to shim the sides of the convex shape of the back cover of the Pre 3 to sit on the flat surface of the Touchstone. Give it a try and see if it helps out with your charging problems
    I have been charging my Pre3 on 4 different unmodified TouchStones thus far.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I have several touchstones and they all charged my phone fine until a couple of weeks ago. At work I decided to take a closer look at the contacts on the cover. I used a small flat head screwdriver and stuck it underneath the leads and applied slight pressure to lift them up a bit. I then added a folded piece of paper underneath, reminiscent of pre minus battery issues. Now It charges GREAT! Back to how it used to be. I am still not sure why it stopped charging in the first place but messing with it seemed to do the trick. I still wouldn't mind purchasing a UK back cover though, and a spare battery but I am glad it is charging on legacy TS again.
    I am going to purchase two touchstones for my phones.
    How can I determine if the ones that I am buying are the old or the new ones (pre 3)?
    Quote Originally Posted by iivanov View Post
    I am going to purchase two touchstones for my phones.
    How can I determine if the ones that I am buying are the old or the new ones (pre 3)?
    All the same, don't worry yourself about it.

I have only ever seen one person *claim* to have a "slightly larger Pre3 TS".
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    Definitely a known issue, and YMMV. Hop onto this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-3-better.html
    That link is gone, what are the troubleshooting steps exactly for this known issue? So far I've tried cleaning the contacts, reset and luna restart, none of these work.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    That link is gone, what are the troubleshooting steps exactly for this known issue? So far I've tried cleaning the contacts, reset and luna restart, none of these work.
    Not sure exactly what that link referred to but there are known issues with the Pre3 not sitting so well on the classic touchstone due to the change in the shape of the back. This can make positioning a little pernickety, one solution to this (which I use on both my touchstones) is to place small (about 1mm thick) neodymium magnets on each of the 4 magnet points of the touchstone (they will find their own position). This has the dual effect of allowing the more curved back to fit on nicely and also increase the magnetic pull and so keep the Pre3 in position. Other solutions involved modifications to the touchstone but this has the advantage of being quick, simple, cheap, reversible, requiring no tools and actually looking quite nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    place small (about 1mm thick) neodymium magnets on each of the 4 magnet points of the touchstone
    Where are these points, mine is round-ish. Any pic somewhere?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Where are these points, mine is round-ish. Any pic somewhere?
    Grab a handful of tiny screws or bb's and stick em on your touchstone and you'll find them. They're basically equally spread around near the perimeter under the surface.
    I'm sorry I'm being an ***** but I'm not understanding the principle of this so that's why I'm asking this question, the magnets are to be placed above or under the surface? (not sure they'd look quite nice above the surface but that's the least of the problems)
    Here is a corrected link: make your classic touchstone hold your pre 3 better

Looks like the webserver is no longer rewriting the old URLs for forums.precentral.net.

I haven't read it in forever, so I don't remember where the magnets go.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Funny thing for me is that I have and use three Touchstones, one at the office, one at my desk at home, and one in the bedroom.

No problems at all, and reading the "modify touchstone to fit Pre3 better", I've checked and find that my Pre3 fits fine on the Touchstones, no wobble, it appears fairly flat and holds fine... not as strong as the Pre2 which the magnets appears to hold a bit better, but still nothing to complain about. When I place my Pre3 on it, I move it until I feel the "lock" of the magnets, it's gripped pretty well and I have no doubt that it won't fall off by itself.

Could it be that they did two types of backs for the Pre3? I have the UK version...

I remember reading that the Pre3 would not fit well on the Touchstone, even be too long/large that it would touch the desk (or close to it). And for me, it fits fine, virtually no real difference at per the Pre2. It's sits fine on it, with plenty of space between the bottom and the desk.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Dunno.. my experience is the same is yours - it doesn't grip as good so it takes a bit longer to find the sweet spot, and is easier to knock off, but as for charging, I've never had it not charge.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast