Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    I've realised the main problem described on most threads is the wobbling and/or the phone not adhering perfectly to the touchstone, well mine sits perfectly, even vertical it won't fall off, so magnets, paper, and similar solutions may not apply in my case, my phone sits perfectly but just won't charge, so back to my initial question, what are the troubleshooter steps? How do I know for instance if the touchstone is actually on or the contacts inside the Pre3 back cover actually make contact?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I've realised the main problem described on most threads is the wobbling and/or the phone not adhering perfectly to the touchstone, well mine sits perfectly, even vertical it won't fall off, so magnets, paper, and similar solutions may not apply in my case, my phone sits perfectly but just won't charge, so back to my initial question, what are the troubleshooter steps? How do I know for instance if the touchstone is actually on or the contacts inside the Pre3 back cover actually make contact?
    The paper may still work as some had alignment issues between the coils. If they are not aligned properly, it will not charge.

I don't know that you can test whether the contacts inside the cover are making contact - though you should see contact marks from the spring pins on the contacts on the cover. Make sure the pins are sticking up out of the side of the phone after you remove the cover.

As for the touchstone itself, do you have other phones you can test it with to ensure that it is working? (If you stated that already, I apologize for missing it). I'd be willing to bet if you sat the cover on the touchstone you might be able to pick up a voltage reading using a multi-meter on the voltage setting. There are two pairs of contacts - one for the charging coil and one for the Touch-to-Share coil - there may be a diagram somewhere showing which are paired. I'd guess it's the inner two paired and the outer two paired. Make sure you probe the contacts on the cover not the pins on the phone.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/22/2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Here you can see all of the contacts. The pins on the phone are just below the battery in the pic and the charging contacts on the cover are just above the SIM in the pic. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390409684.539809.jpg
    Haha wow thank you very much I had managed to gather where the contacts where but brilliant effort with the pics I'll have a closer look at the pins. Thanks
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    I had once no charging with touch stone, removing and replacing pre3 back fixed it.
    Also touchstone only works with original charger, Not a PC or other brand charger.
    Pre3 USB port can use any type of charger to charge.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Funny thing for me is that I have and use three Touchstones, one at the office, one at my desk at home, and one in the bedroom.

Could it be that they did two types of backs for the Pre3? I have the UK version...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Dunno.. my experience is the same is yours - it doesn't grip as good so it takes a bit longer to find the sweet spot, and is easier to knock off, but as for charging, I've never had it not charge.
    Also the exact same here. Can feel that it may not be ideal, but it still works fine. The point about sliding the phone into place has always been my technique, all the way back to the OG Pre. With a fluid motion, putting the phone slightly high on the TS and dragging it down a bit until the magnets grip it to the center. Then you know it's really grabbed, and that certainly does help with the less grippy Pre 3 fit.

No, there was only the one back for the Pre 3, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $However$ $there$ was a new Touchstone 2 with Touch To Share-enabled Bluetooth connectivity (put on dock, automatically pairs!) designed for the Pre 3. Bluetooth aside, that looks to have a somewhat bigger/flatter platform and, I presume, slightly different magnet placement to match the curvature and slugs in the Pre 3 more tightly. These can still be found on eBay from a guy hording them in San Francisco. There's a thread about it and the ridiculous bounties he's asking for them. But hey, they're rare.

And nice battery, Matt.
    Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    I have several touchstones and they all charged my phone fine until a couple of weeks ago. At work I decided to take a closer look at the contacts on the cover. I used a small flat head screwdriver and stuck it underneath the leads and applied slight pressure to lift them up a bit. I then added a folded piece of paper underneath, reminiscent of pre minus battery issues. Now It charges GREAT! Back to how it used to be. I am still not sure why it stopped charging in the first place but messing with it seemed to do the trick
    hi guys... just to let everybody know that my pre 3 was not charging correctly on my touchstones but this simple solution from 2011 made my pre 3 charge wonderfully in 2015!
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Good to hear.

For me, my Pre3 tends to be finicky with the Touchstone, but the biggest issue has been the batteries I've had (third party) that swelled up pushing the cover enough to prevent the contacts to touch correctly. (I've changed the batteries since)

Every so often, it feels (or thinks) that if the Pre3 isn't sitting right it's cause issues that causes the phone to have trouble charging correctly even after moving it around to get it sitting as "right" as possible over and over. At that point it just needs to be rebooted.

I've been having similar issues with my old Pre2 (no-SIM card) that I've been trying to use as my night clock in bedroom (and have quick internet if I need to check email or look something up and too lazy to get up).

The moment that the battery has been fulling charged for a long time, the phone starts being annoying, regardless if it's not been moved at all for a few weeks.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12