Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems like the glass on Pre3 is extremely fragile. I got my phone on Tuesday and this morning I woke up to fine a crack on the glass, and it seems to be spreading all over the screen. The touch screen is still working surprisingly.

I called the HP and they said they consider that a physical damage and I'm better off going to AT&T for replacement (I'm not even their customer, I live in Canada). I have had many motorolla phones, pocket PCs, HP Ipaq, and a Sony Ercison Xperia before getting Pre3, non of them had a cracked screen made out of flimsy glass before.

Is there a way to prevent this thing from breaking? (I haven't even had the chance to drop the phone yet)!

Is there a way to get parts to get the glass fixed? and if it is actually worth it or it's going to crack easily like this again?
    My glass has been fine - you are the first to complain of this problem that I have seen so I'd guess it's a defect on your particular unit. I'd say try to get it fixed if possible. Obviously going to AT&T is stupid since they never sold the phone. You may have to get it fixed through HP.

Mine's tough as to be expected though in the end it is glass. My wife shattered her gorilla glass on her iphone 4 in the first week but she did drop the darn thing.
    Since it uses Gorilla Glass which has been proven to stand up to a lot of abuse I doubt it's the glass that is weak
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    You could have gotten one with a batch of improperly annealed glass which would have higher residual stress/strain. I've never heard of it happening, but it is possible.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Since it uses Gorilla Glass which has been proven to stand up to a lot of abuse I doubt it's the glass that is weak
    What would you chalk this up to then? Options I would think make sense:

1) Manufacturing plant may have substituted the wrong glass during sourcing - on purpose or by accident. Could also have been gorilla glass with defects from sourcing partner.

2) Phone permits more flexing than the glass can take without cracking.

3) Users are lying about the abuse they dolled out. (Seems unlikley given Pre2 stories from reputable contributors)

4) Aliens from space are using a special zap ray to ensure that the superior webOS UI dies out before we take over the universe using it!
    I'm actually thinking either 4 or 1
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    My friend broke the glass on his iphone, that's the only guarantee that comes with glass, it will break so be careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My friend broke the glass on his iphone, that's the only guarantee that comes with glass, it will break so be careful.
    And there's the rub...

I think some of this glass is overhyped:
    iphone4-glass-study | SquareTrade Warranties

EDIT: It's unclear if iPhone 4 uses actual Gorilla glass or just a similar glass. The iPhone 4 has been cited as having a higher than normal screen breakage problem - which says to me it's not very durable - but I'm not clear if this generalizes beyond the iPhone.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 10/06/2011 at 12:41 PM.
    fair post, but tbh, you dont just wake up and your phone screens broken/cracked while sat there doing nothing, you obv dropped it or did something equally bad to it, they dont spontaniously split apart.

i could understand if youd recieved it that way from a rubbish delivery service booting the box around or something, but going to sleep with a fully servicable phone and waking up with a broken phones pretty unlikely.
    Glass is very fragile and very brittle. A small amount of flex could stress the glass and make it either shatter or crack without ever abusing it. They key is how stiff the frame is - and how this interacts with the glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Glass is very fragile and very brittle. A small amount of flex could stress the glass and make it either shatter or crack without ever abusing it. They key is how stiff the frame is - and how this interacts with the glass.
    a small amount of flex would qualify as "doing something to it" he said fell asleep, all was well, woke up and its broken tho.

must have done "something".
  12.    #12  
    thank you for all the replies.

well, I called HP They said they won't fix it and I have to go back to AT&T.

aside from that, I don't have a case for the phone. I have not dropped the phone. It might ha e been flex that I had not noticed, or it could be manufacturing defect.

either case I just got the phone, and I like to see if there are spare parts for it or a way to change the glass. I'm going to US (today actually, on the road now) and i'll see if I can find an AT&t store or something to at least get a case for it, and take my chances.
    Do you understand that AT&T had absolutely nothing to do with selling you the phone. If you walk into a store they will look at you like you are crazy.

Theses devices were built for AT&T but never made it to them. They also won't have any accessories with the exception of maybe a charger.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Gorilla Glass is not really more resistent to cracks of the glass itself, but the surface is hardened to prevent scratches. This is a huge difference.

In the case of the OP I suspect that the glass has cracked during manufactoring or transport and will now fall appart no matter what you do. Try to get a replacement through warranty (I would try to call HP again or maybe just try to call the AT&T hotline once, can't do much harm), nothing else will help.

I dropped my Pre3 some times now (I'm not really caring with this gadgets ) and it took a little scratch, but no cracks. I would not sit on it (so don't put it into your backpocket or take it out before sitting down), that broke my Veer. But appart from that Pre3 and als Veer are quite robust phones, this includes the screen.
    I shattered the glass on an iPhone 3G and an iPod touch.Have to agree that in both cases it was my fault by droping the gadgets on the concrete .I learned my lesson ...gorila glass doesn't mean is indestructible
    Last edited by Binarr; 10/07/2011 at 04:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    fair post, but tbh, you dont just wake up and your phone screens broken/cracked while sat there doing nothing, you obv dropped it or did something equally bad to it, they dont spontaniously split apart.

i could understand if youd recieved it that way from a rubbish delivery service booting the box around or something, but going to sleep with a fully servicable phone and waking up with a broken phones pretty unlikely.
    You say that but similar things can happen. My wife wears pretty thick glasses made from a special high index glass to keep the weight down. One morning I put a cup of tea beside her bed for her near where she had left her new pair of glasses. A few minutes later she went to put the glasses on an they had shattered. It seems the heat from the tea (not in direct contact) had caused the glass to expand enough to put sufficient pressure on the frames to cause the glass to break.

That was an expensive accident (over 500) and a tricky one to explain to the insurers.

The bottom line is, glass is fragile and simple things can cause it to break.
  17.    #17  
    ok, so AT&T does not eve have case or accessories for this phone as Desol has already mentioned. They do not even offer repair or RMA service for it. It seems like the phone is disowned.

I wonder if China, Taiwan , or some other place makes the spare parts or the glass for it that I can order to replace myself. If the phone was not less than a week old and I didn't really like webOS I would not have even bothered.

where does HP list spare part number for the phones (if they do)? I generally use HP Partsurfer (partsurfer.hp.com) to find spare parts for all HP products that I work on, but don't think Partsurfer has parts for Palm.
    Maybe you can try to contact europe HP webos support. Like these numbers or the live chat: Palm Support : HP Pre 3 (Unlocked) -
    What about buying a Squaretrade warranty? They will insure the phone for 2 years. The lowest quote I got was around $29 after a 20% discount code.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilburjoe View Post
    What about buying a Squaretrade warranty? They will insure the phone for 2 years. The lowest quote I got was around $29 after a 20% discount code.
    wow... With who? I don't have AT&T account and can't subscribe to them since I live in Canada.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast