webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Unlocking at&t Pre 3 without using a sim
Unlocking at&t Pre 3 without using a sim
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Qamar Jafery

Old 10/05/2011, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is there a way to unlock a pre 3 without throwing in a sim from another carrier? I have the unlock code and I'd like to play with it over wifi.
ManufacturedGanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manufacturedganesh View Post
Is there a way to unlock a pre 3 without throwing in a sim from another carrier? I have the unlock code and I'd like to play with it over wifi.
If you just want to play with it without a SIM you don't need to unlock it yet.

Enter #*DEVMODE# and press dial in the emergency dialing screen to enable dev mode, and it'll boot.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

how can you load your profile after that?
bignoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
how can you load your profile after that?
Install Preware and then activate via Impostah.
treo2die4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

In impostah, you will delete your current profile (developer profile has a specific name dr first use or something similar can't remember right now). Once rebooted it will ask for unlock code if the sim is not recognized. If it is at&t then it will not ask for unlock code but ask you to put in profile credentials (either create one or login to one)
If you already have a wifi attached then the profile activation goes over wifi instead of searching for 3G/2G over the sim card. This can help if you are trying to use the phone on a prepaid account with no data. I have also had issues with crappy 3G connection making the phone not get activated as connection to the servers couldn't be established over 3G. Wifi worked really well. I am surprised HP hasn't fixed this (allow one to connect to wifi prior to logging in to palm profile)
Sapient2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just noticed that my pre3 has a unlock code as well, what is an unlock code? Why do I want one? And how do I use it?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
abweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abweiss View Post
I just noticed that my pre3 has a unlock code as well, what is an unlock code? Why do I want one? And how do I use it?

You only want an unlocked device if you're not going to use it for the specified carrier, i.e. AT&T.
Old 10/10/2011, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
Install Preware and then activate via Impostah.
But this does not restore your data, apps, logs etc from your profile.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abweiss View Post

If you have an AT&T Pre3, the unlock code will allow you to unlock the phone to use it on another GSM carrier (T-Mobile in the USA or other GSM carrier worldwide like Rogers in Canada). To unlock the phone, insert any non-AT&T GSM carrier SIM card (borrow one from a friend or buy a cheap T-Mobile prepaid SIM card) into the Pre3 and it will ask you to enter the unlock code. After you enter the code once, the phone is permanently unlocked and can be used on any GSM network. If you do not unlock the phone, it can only be used on the original carrier network (AT&T).
pre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Once you unlock the phone, will it stay unlocked even if you doctor your phone?

Also, back to OP's question, can you unlock without SIM?
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have the same issue. I turned on dev mode and then used a tmobile sim and it prompted for unlock code and it worked. Now the phone is in dev mode. how do I get back to adding a HP profile? What are the advantages of using profile vs continuing to work with the phone in dev mode?
fredflinstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
In impostah, you will delete your current profile (developer profile has a specific name dr first use or something similar can't remember right now). Once rebooted it will ask for unlock code if the sim is not recognized. If it is at&t then it will not ask for unlock code but ask you to put in profile credentials (either create one or login to one)
If you already have a wifi attached then the profile activation goes over wifi instead of searching for 3G/2G over the sim card. This can help if you are trying to use the phone on a prepaid account with no data. I have also had issues with crappy 3G connection making the phone not get activated as connection to the servers couldn't be established over 3G. Wifi worked really well. I am surprised HP hasn't fixed this (allow one to connect to wifi prior to logging in to palm profile)
This is not my experience. I turn off developer mode, reboot and I am still at the Dr. First Use account.
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am having the same issue.
fredflinstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
Once you unlock the phone, will it stay unlocked even if you doctor your phone?

Also, back to OP's question, can you unlock without SIM?
Once a webOS phone is unlocked, it stays unlocked forever, even if you doctor and/or update the firmware. The only exception to the 'forever', is if you have to send the phone to HP for repairs and they may relock the phone and/or send you a replacement which would be locked.

NO. YOU cannot unlock without a SIM.

Old 10/10/2011, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredflinstone1 View Post
I have the same issue. I turned on dev mode and then used a tmobile sim and it prompted for unlock code and it worked. Now the phone is in dev mode. how do I get back to adding a HP profile? What are the advantages of using profile vs continuing to work with the phone in dev mode?
Actually, you did not need to go into 'dev mode' to use the T-Mobile sim to unlock the phone. Simply starting the phone with the T-Mobile SIM would have sufficed. Anyhow, what you need to do now, is start 'Device Info' -> 'Reset Options' -> 'Full Erase'. This should do it's business and restart the phone and will then give you the option to create a new profile or sign in with an existing one.

Advantages of using a profile:

1. Purchase apps from the app catalog.
2. Backup of your call log/txt messages/contacts, email, & instant messenger accounts. This will allow you to restore your device in the case you have to doctor it and/or replace it. Also, it will restore your profile to another device that you may add later.

Bottom line, you do not want ot use the phone without a profile.

Old 11/16/2011, 12:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Ok, I have got a Pre3 and I wanted to use it for the next two months without a sim. However, when I turn on the device, it goes straight to the insert SIM instruction page. I dont get an option to enter #*DEVMODE# and skip the SIM step. Any advice ?

Thanks!

Edit: I pressed 911 and lo! I saw the numeric keypad. I then entered #*DEVMODE#. Lets see how things go....

Last edited by veerar; 11/16/2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Found answer myself
veerar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 03:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerar View Post
Ok, I have got a Pre3 and I wanted to use it for the next two months without a sim. However, when I turn on the device, it goes straight to the insert SIM instruction page. I dont get an option to enter #*DEVMODE# and skip the SIM step. Any advice ?

Thanks!

Edit: I pressed 911 and lo! I saw the numeric keypad. I then entered #*DEVMODE#. Lets see how things go....

How do you enter #*DEVMODE# when I use the keyboad it just types number not letters.
Qamar Jafery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 03:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Need help! I reset my phone (hard reset) now when I try to install it ask for a wireless connection setup. Trying to do it without the SIM. I created a new profile for my son but cannot do access it without wireless. Don't want to use the sim (3g) for that.
Please help!
Qamar Jafery is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0