Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    So, I just purchased a pre3. My pre- and pre2 were working wonderfully in the car with an upside-down touchstone mounted on the top vents. Obviously with the new shape, the pre3 falls right off. That sucks.

I don't have pictures yet, but I'm going to do a project to remedy this. I wish I had a home fab 3d printer. This would be an awesome project for that. Oh well. I promise to at least post the templates for the metalwork.

Instead, I'm doing it this way:

- 1/8" self-adhesive kayak foam on the touchstone itself. Shape with shaping tool (find these with the files in the hardware store, you want the thing that looks sort of like a garlic press), and fine grit sandpaper. I'm going to do this with all of my touchstones. An alternate method would be to get some self-hardening sculpting putty. Form it perfectly to the phone, then sand when it hardens. Glue it to the touchstone.
    - Hobby tin, tinsnips. I'll mount the touchstone to this, and then bend up the ends, solder, and paint. This will hold the phone in place while sitting somewhat vertical. I'll also add kayak foam to the inside of this to both protect the phone and hold it snug. Going to prime it and paint flat black, finish the sharp edges, etc. Two different design ideas. Either put the touchstone in the tin like a box, or cut a large hole for it so it is mostly flush with the tin surface. The latter requires less bent up metal, and may look nicer. I'm going to try both.
    Any success with your designs knobbysideup?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Any success with your designs knobbysideup?
    Somewhat. I did the tin one. It works well, but not pretty, and the edges are pretty sharp. I did another one with oven-cured putty (go to the craft store). Looked great, but it's hard to account for the shrinkage in the oven, and it ended up being brittle and snapped in half on me. So, I'm currently using the ugly tin prototype. Third prototype will likely be a wood hanger design. I just don't have anything yet that I'm proud enough of to show anybody :-)
    : (){:|:&};:
    I came up with what I think is a fairly ideal solution. It is simple, inexpensive, looks nice, and works perfectly. You buy 1/4" X 1/32" Neodymium magnets from amazon, $15 with shipping. Arrange them on the touchstone as shown in the attached photo. Pre 3s and older generation Pres are held securely and charge. It works equally well in both portrait and landscape orientations.

The magnet's ASIN: B0012L02L8. You also get 100 magnets so you have enough for 12 touchstones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by delurgio; 09/23/2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by delurgio View Post
    I came up with what I think is a fairly ideal solution. It is simple, inexpensive, looks nice, and works perfectly. You buy 1/4" X 1/32" Neodymium magnets from amazon, $15 with shipping. Arrange them on the touchstone as shown in the attached photo. Pre 3s and older generation Pres are held securely and charge.

The magnet's ASIN: B0012L02L8. You also get 100 magnets so you have enough for 12 touchstones.
    If you rotated the touchstone 180 degrees the Pre3 would sit better any way. The cable would be hidden better and you wouldn't need to be concerned with the word Palm as the Pre3 would be covering it.
    Just a few thoughts!
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Is that 8mm thick?

I am in the UK .
    These look a little thick to me:
    6mm dia x 4mm thick N42 Neodymium Magnet - 1.2kg Pull (Pack Of 25) - Model Making & Crafts: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

What do you think?
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    If you rotated the touchstone 180 degrees the Pre3 would sit better any way. The cable would be hidden better and you wouldn't need to be concerned with the word Palm as the Pre3 would be covering it.
    Just a few thoughts!
    Thank you for the advice, however the touchstone is oriented very well for my installation. While I would prefer the cable to be in a better position, the phone and keyboard are easily accessible from my (left side) drivers position. Also, I have no issue with Palm being visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Is that 8mm thick?

I am in the UK .
    These look a little thick to me:
    6mm dia x 4mm thick N42 Neodymium Magnet - 1.2kg Pull (Pack Of 25) - Model Making & Crafts: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

What do you think?
    The dimensions in millimeters are 6.35mm diameter x 0.79mm thick. Btw. I did not state this, but the magnets orient and hold themselves as shown, so you basically have to do nothing but place them there. I will note that as thin as they are, it is easy to miss two magnets stacked on top of each other, so just make sure there is only one or it does not work as well.
    Last edited by delurgio; 09/23/2012 at 12:35 PM.
    I've tried most of the solutions here, eventually bit the bullet & sanded down the shape just as the op had shown. This was by far the best solution for holding it in place in my car. In fact, I think it works better than it did stock with my pre+. One I left raw, & the other I painted with Plastidip,not sure such one looks better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    I've tried most of the solutions here, eventually bit the bullet & sanded down the shape just as the op had shown. This was by far the best solution for holding it in place in my car. In fact, I think it works better than it did stock with my pre+. One I left raw, & the other I painted with Plastidip,not sure such one looks better.
    This neodymium magnet method I think works as well or better than the standard pre/pre2 worked with an unmodified touchstone, without the need to modify the touchstone in any way. Also, I think it actually adds or at least does not detract from the aesthetic.
    Last edited by delurgio; 09/23/2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    I agree with you, last November I used a half round file on my Touchstone charger, smoothed out with sand paper and used some flat black paint that I had sitting on the shelf, around 10 minutes of work and zero dollars. I driven over potholes, railroad tracks, etc. and not once has my Pre 3 become dislodged from its Touchstone charger.
    With all due respect to those that have modified their touchstone by sanding the top surface. I can confirm that the neodymium magnet solution has been now been working successfully for one week under adverse conditions, hitting bumps and potholes on purpose (in Chicago where they are large) and it has not fallen a single time. As mentioned the Pre 3 (1,2 as well) can be oriented portrait and landscape and they hold equally well.

If someone has not yet found and/or implemented an alternative solution, I suggest trying this as it, IMHO, works well enough and is not unsightly in the least.
    I like the neodymium magnet idea, but I don't need 100 of them. Anybody willing to sell me 4 or 8?
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I like the neodymium magnet idea, but I don't need 100 of them. Anybody willing to sell me 4 or 8?
    I will receive them next week, let you now
    You need 8 for it to work really well. I am happy to mail someone a set.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    delurgio, I was hours away from sanding my TP when I saw this.
    Like the previous poster, I really don't have need for 100... If you had another spare set and wanted to pass it one, I certainly wouldn't refuse!
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq
    Used these magnets for 4 days and even my wife notice the better and stronger holding of the two Pre 3ís we own, have used 48 of 100, happy to mail sets
    Long live Palm, I married my wife because she gave me a Palm III in 1998.
    I used a bunch with all of the touchstones I have at home, cars, work, etc. but I have a few packs of 10 that I could let go of. I think if anyone ships these, it is probably better to send 10 to be safe, it is easy just at the point of installing for one to "jump" off the touchstone and be lost forever. I lost at least one during my installations and it would be a pity to have to ship a second time or for someone to only have 7.

I would only charge shipping if someone is interested, just send me a private message.
    I've got extras. PM me your address and I'll ship them in a standard envelope free until they are gone. Tell me how many you want and as long as you are US I'll send you some.

Edit: OK, I have 2 responses so far. Since they will fit in a standard envelope but are more than 1/4" thick it will cost $1.95 to ship as a "package". I'm generous enough to ship once, but since I already invested $15 I came up with a scheme to share the wealth and pay it forward to forum members. Since you should only need 8 per Touchstone we have enough to service 9 Touchstones. With the 2 responses we have 7 Touchstone supply left with a few extras. I will compile a list from the PM requests I get until there are 9 Touchstones worth. I will put the list with the magnets in an envelope. When they show up with the list, take what you need and cross your name off the list. Put them back into an envelope and ship them to the next name on the list, kind of a reverse chain letter, until they are gone. There will be 76 to start so there might be a few extras in case you drop or lose one. This way we all will pay $1.95 and keep the good karma flowing until it ends. We will all know who the jerk is if the last person on the list never gets there magnets (or it suddenly stops at someones name). If those of you that have PM'd me earlier will agree to this, and I can get 7 more requests (more than one Touchstone is fine, just specify how many) we can do this. Sound reasonable and simple enough?
    Last edited by matteebee13; 10/16/2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delurgio View Post
    I used a bunch with all of the touchstones I have at home, cars, work, etc. but I have a few packs of 10 that I could let go of. I think if anyone ships these, it is probably better to send 10 to be safe, it is easy just at the point of installing for one to "jump" off the touchstone and be lost forever. I lost at least one during my installations and it would be a pity to have to ship a second time or for someone to only have 7.

I would only charge shipping if someone is interested, just send me a private message.
    You must be onto something with these magnets. Amazon is actually offering a combo deal with the magnets and a touchstone!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Bump, read my edit. Anyone that wants magnets PM me how many and your address to add to the list. All that is required is that you cross your name off and remail the remainder to the next name on the list. It will cost $1.95 per shipment.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast