Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    I've used the method suggested by tasogare and brum and it works! Got an old refrigerator magnet and soaked off the picture (sorry WRAL news team!). I then cut ~1/8" strips (and trimmed them to fit like brum's example). My Pre 3 now feels much more firmly set on the touchstone. I think this method is much better than the filing method because 1) it doesn't alter or damage the touchstone, and 2) the strips can be rotated to accomodate landscape mode if needed.

I am continually amazed and heartened by the ingenuity of our webOS community!
    brum likes this.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I used a combo of advice to achieve a great hold and with some spit and polish it will look great

Thanks again everyone!!

450873590 by MrKal_El, on Flickr
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    deibski and ashi like this.
    Hi All

Thanks to all contributors... I have mod'ed 3 touchstones using the (brbaric) rounded file/sander. By the time I got to the thrid one, it ws pretty quick & easy.

Now my geenral concern:
    Charging on the TS (plain or Mod'ed), I get a Govnah-reported temerature of 53C. That's HOT.
    By contrast, charging using USB cable, I get a temp of 37C.

I noticed similar behavior on my Pre2, and I'm starting to feel there is a corollation between charging temp and rapid discharge/shortened battery life.

Anyone got any empirical info on this? Optimal charge temps for LiON batteries?
    Temperature at which the batteries start getting damaged?

As you can probably tell, I love the concept of the TS... but is it causing battery problems?

russ
    During the charge, I'm getting 38C while on the touchstone.
    When fully charged, I'm getting 33C while on the touchstone.

In no cases I've exceeded these temperatures ( govnah )

I wonder why other people with a Pre3 report higher temperatures while charging...

- could be some touchstones are causing higher temperatures with a pre3 ?
    - coud be some batteries are causing this ?

What's the positive current value while doing a deep charge on the touchstone ? Mine is btw 540 and 590, by memory
    After full charge, with govnah focused, it reports 47mA positive
    I had this temperatures with a Pre2 lately and it was charged via the usb connector.. made me feel very bad. :-(
    I got involved with the magent mod, works perfectly in my car! I used fridge magnets like brum. I think this is much more attractive than removing the ring or sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    carldc likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    I got involved with the magent mod, works perfectly in my car! I used fridge magnets like brum. I think this is much more attractive than removing the ring or sanding.
    Agreed. In addition, if you want to put the Pre 3 in landscape, you can just move the strips to top/bottom.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    billyboy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    The solution? Reshape the surface of the touchstone to better accomodate the Pre 3's back, so that it makes better contact with the magnets and sits without rocking. Horizontally, the shape of the touchstone is ok, but vertically it's too concave. The Pre 3's back is almost flat in the vertical dimension.
    For anyone who wants to try this mod, here's a link to a $3.50 (free shipping) Touchstone on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Or, if you don't want to damage your Touchstones, you can just cut two thin strips of flexible magnet and place them on either side of the PALM logo. The strips should be long in the vertical direction and narrow in the horizontal. I made mine about 1 cm wide (or less) and about 2/3rds the diameter of the Touchstone in length.
    Nice! I think that I'll give this a try first, before doing any surgery on a Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Charging on the TS (plain or Mod'ed), I get a Govnah-reported temerature of 53C. That's HOT.
    By contrast, charging using USB cable, I get a temp of 37C.

I noticed similar behavior on my Pre2, and I'm starting to feel there is a corollation between charging temp and rapid discharge/shortened battery life.
    When researching NiMH rechargeable battery chargers recently, I found a lot of documentary evidence that the "rapid" chargers (those that advertise recharging in 15-30 minutes) do so at a cost of both decreased battery capacity and shortened battery life. The "smart" chargers slow down the charging rate for the last 10% of charging or so, then shift into a trickle charging mode once 100% is achieved so as to not overheat the batteries.

Whether lithium ion batteries work analogically to the NiMH batteries would be worth investigating.

I doubt that Touchstones are smart chargers, as there's no way to have a feedback loop to tell the charger what the Pre's battery state is. I'd assume that they're constant-rate chargers. That said, they don't seem to be rapid chargers, as it takes about an hour or more to bring my Pre+ up to a full charge once I've run it down below 20%.

As has been previously noted, the distance between the induction coils in the Touchstone and phone will affect the charging rate. I suppose that it's possible that manufacturing variations in the Touchstones or certain mods to a Touchstone might increase the charging rate to the point that overheating (and consequent battery degradation) could occur. That's just a speculation, though.

In any case, this might be an argument for trying the magnetic tape mod to a Touchstone before the filing mod, so as to not decrease the distance between the induction coils. As long as the recharging time is still reasonable (< 2 hours?), that would be a more conservative approach, I would think. Another consideration is that I would also want to be able to leave my Pre3 on the Touchstone overnight without any concerns of overheating, even if it's proven to not damage the battery (due to concerns for the rest of the electronics).
    The charging circuitry/components in the phones and in the touchpad deal with the rate of charge, not the charger. Being able to charge a phone or tablet at a rate of 500+mAh is quite a rapid charge, all things considered.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12.    #52  
    The smart charging circuitry is in the phone, not in the charger. This is what lets the phone (or touchpad) take current from a variety of sources to charge the battery, and never exceed the current capacity of the source. A near-dead Li-Ion battery like that in the touchpad could probably draw many amps of current if it was allowed to; the charging circuitry limits the charge current based on the connected charger. It also limits the current to control battery heat and maximize the life of the battery.

I can't agree with any logic that says filing the top of the touchstone could bring the charging coils too close. First, there is no "too close", only a "too far". Second, unmodified, the touchstone holds the Pre3 FARTHER from the induction coils than it does any other Pre; re-shaping the surface simply brings the phone back into direct contact with the surface of the touchstone the same as any other Pre-series phone.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Couldn't one just sand the Touchstone both vertically (like the OP) and horizontally to allow for both orientations? Since exhibition only works in portrait, I never place it in landscape, anyway.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    Couldn't one just sand the Touchstone both vertically (like the OP) and horizontally to allow for both orientations? Since exhibition only works in portrait, I never place it in landscape, anyway.
    One could, and it should work fine... but if one would never place it in landscape, then why would one want to file the touchstone to allow for landscape?
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    sounds like it will work.

Note on battery temps:
    Try to avoid temps of 50 degrees and above. (although my laptop battery is labeled for 60)
    but below 50 is the general safe zone IIRC

Govnah (or something) says that temps higher than 50 can also lead to bricking.
    Exhibition mode works fine in Landscape mode, although the software support for it is somewhat lacking.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    So, I just purchased a pre3. My pre- and pre2 were working wonderfully in the car with an upside-down touchstone mounted on the top vents. Obviously with the new shape, the pre3 falls right off. That sucks.

I don't have pictures yet, but I'm going to do a project to remedy this. I wish I had a home fab 3d printer. This would be an awesome project for that. Oh well. I promise to at least post the templates for the metalwork.

Instead, I'm doing it this way:

- 1/8" self-adhesive kayak foam on the touchstone itself. Shape with shaping tool (find these with the files in the hardware store, you want the thing that looks sort of like a garlic press), and fine grit sandpaper. I'm going to do this with all of my touchstones. An alternate method would be to get some self-hardening sculpting putty. Form it perfectly to the phone, then sand when it hardens. Glue it to the touchstone.
    - Hobby tin, tinsnips. I'll mount the touchstone to this, and then bend up the ends, solder, and paint. This will hold the phone in place while sitting somewhat vertical. I'll also add kayak foam to the inside of this to both protect the phone and hold it snug. Going to prime it and paint flat black, finish the sharp edges, etc. Two different design ideas. Either put the touchstone in the tin like a box, or cut a large hole for it so it is mostly flush with the tin surface. The latter requires less bent up metal, and may look nicer. I'm going to try both.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Looking forward to seeing the finished design(s).
    What car adaptor do you use for the Touchstone USB?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    x2 on seeing the design. sounds interesting.
    I'm using the magnetic tape strips on a Touchstone, which really helps with the stability of the Pre3. I'm not seeing the extra "adhesion" that others have reported, so I'm not convinced it would help much with a vertical Touchstone installation.

FYI, I bought some mag tape on Amazon. This stuff must be thicker that what others scavenged from refrigerator magnets, as I had to space the strips all the way to the edges of the Touchstone to keep the Pre3's back in contact with the Touchstone.

Oh, and I'm seeing a perfectly reasonable full recharge time that's consistently less than two hours, so I don't feel the need to go the route of the "filing" mod.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast