Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    is anyone having an issue with the classic touchstone not charging the pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by duncanjameshill View Post
    I have been using my pre3 on a touchstone mounted vertically in my car for a couple of weeks now and it hasn't fallen off once. Still, I like the idea of a better fit and will give my touchstones a filing!
    Odd, if I lift either of my touchstones with Pre3 attached up to the verticle and give even the slightest shake the Pre3 falls off. There is no way that would work in a car, I suspect the vibration from the engine alone would make it fall.

I tried the flexible magnet method last night (my daughter has a roll of the stuff she uses for making fridge magnets). It made the grip considerably weaker and I could not find a position to place them that gave a good fit. I may have another go over the weekend but I am thinking that taking a file to it will be the best option.

Oh, and I get a lot of the charge bouncing once fully charged, this was never an issue for me on the Pre- except when I used a case that weakened the touchstone grip so I am pretty sure the two issues are connected.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 10/10/2011 at 03:15 AM.
    ON my vertically mounted touchstone, I find that just bracing the bottom of the pre3 with my finger completely stops the phone from falling off. Of course, this is not conducive to driving so a mod of some sort will be necessary, and I'm thinking a design similar to J-Izor's with the bracket on the bottom. Some side bracing might be a good idea as well to prevent twisting as well.

I suspect the Pre3 has enough magnetic power to keep it from pulling straight off, but sliding off is another matter. Similar to pulling a magnet off the fridge as opposed to sliding it off the edge.

This is definitely on my to-do list, so if I make any progress, I'll let ya'll know...

--MGb
    http://www.twitter.com/DeadTechnology - All things geeky (mostly Palm)
    http://www.twitter.com/oneminutecubs - All things Cubs
    i take it slapping on stronger/more magnets doesnt assist in frying anything inside the pre3?
    Thanks for the tip johsonx42, I filed the top and bottom of the my Touchstone with a half round file, then sanded it with wet/dry and then sprayed it with satin black paint (blue tape over the palm emblem) and it came out nice. Now my Pre 3 is rock solid on the TS charger, it can even stay attached hanging upside down now
    Tampaguy75 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
    is anyone having an issue with the classic touchstone not charging the pre 3?
    Had the jumping issue once on my home Touchstone. Govnah told me phone overheated to 56C, so I took it off, rebooted and everything back to normal after phone cooled down.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Thanks for the tip johsonx42, I filed the top and bottom of the my Touchstone with a half round file, then sanded it with wet/dry and then sprayed it with satin black paint (blue tape over the palm emblem) and it came out nice. Now my Pre 3 is rock solid on the TS charger, it can even stay attached hanging upside down now
    glad it worked well for you, and glad to hear the cosmetic issue is easily addressed. I've been happy with mine as originally pictured, though when my kids first saw it in the car they said "Daddy, what happened to your phone thingy? did you break it?"
    Rookie4sho and ashi like this.
    Just FYI, here is my solution. I mount my phone vertical in the car, and it has never fallen off the touchstone.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3137887
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Got it working, using strips of adhesive magnetic vinyl (the kind used to make custom bumper magnets). Here are pics of both my home and in-car (with my Home Depot parts custom lower bracket) installations:

and

{Jonathan}
    Does this enable landscape orientation because it seems like it might only be portrait? TIA.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
  10.    #30  
    any of these mods are primarily aimed at standard portrait orientation. while I know that one can use the touchstone in landscape mode, it's never occurred to me to do so.
    I cut strips of magnets, gotten from an arts & craft store, and adhered them onto the touchstone. A great fit with little effort. And' cosmetically, they are barely visible. After one day of driving, i the phone stays in place and keeps charging. Thanks for the advice.
    I friggin love this place. i cant WAIT till i get my pre3..
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    I just placed some small round magnets on the right side and nothing on the left. No matter what you add, it should not be thick. If I add 1mm on each side of the TS it seems to be too much and the Pre3 falls off even easier. Now I added 2mm on the very right outside and this tilts the Pre3 to the left, so that now the left magnets really hold it all the time and the small magnets I added on the right help, too. This now sticks my Pre3 on my car touch stone even while driving bumpy roads. I did not manage to get that far with adding things on both sides of the TS...

A Pre2 also still sticks to the TS perfectly, so that's still no issue.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    My phone Touchstones, TP cases and TS's finally arrived from the US and thanks to Jonathan, the phone Touchstones work MUCH better with the simple mod - but mine are a little more attractive.

I used some thin fridge magnets, scraping the paper front off them. The sticky residue helped the bits stick to the TS's.

For those who still don't understand this is necessary, the Pre 3's back is curved so much that it can be bumped(rolled/rocked) the slightest bit causing the magnets to lose purchase and the phone to fall off - the magnets simply elevate the sides to cradle the curved back of the Pre 3.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    post-us a pic mate ??

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    glad it worked well for you, and glad to hear the cosmetic issue is easily addressed. I've been happy with mine as originally pictured, though when my kids first saw it in the car they said "Daddy, what happened to your phone thingy? did you break it?"
    dunno what that's for ...maybe the rubber in there could be pulled out and replaced by some rare earth magnet strips ...I think they can be gotten ...any idea whether that will brick my fone?
    it won't hurt your phone. In fact, there is a member with a business modifying touchstone backs, and he offers the service of installing stronger magnets.
    I ordered neodyme magnets, round, 6mm diameter and 1mm thin and replaced the original "magnets" with them (from what I found in my device they are not really magnets but just small metal plates that get traction by the magnets in the TS... at least mine where not magnetic). Now my Pre3 really clings to Touchstones and you can easily lift a TS with the phone... you need to actively slide it to get it off.

One problem with the magnets and the TS is, that the metal plates in the back of the phone are on the wrong position... if you put a magnet there, it will not work. If you think of the metal plates as on a circle, then on a circle with a smaller diameter you can put a magnet and on a circle with a bigger diameter you can also put magnets but in the opposite polarity. The outer ones cling to the outer ring of the TS, which seems to be magnetic and the inner ones cling to the four magnets below the inner surface of the TS. You can easily find the right positions by trying with strong magnets while the back of the Pre3 is on the TS... just remove the metal plates one by one and replace them by at least one magnet...

I now have 8 magnets in the back of my Pre3 and it never came off my car TS. This work's much better than adding magnet stripes or similar to the TS. And you don't have problems with the wrong curvature of the back of the Pre3... with neodyme magnets it just does not matter anymore.

You won't damage your phone if you carefully remove the back plastic thing in your Pre3 backcover. I started on one of the top edges, which is a good idea. You have to be more careful at the bottom, because there is end of the copper spindle and a cable to the contacts.

I made sure that the inner magnets won't touch the copper by applying two sided tape on the whole area before the magnets and then added some more two sided tape to apply the plastic-part I removed before again. This made the whole constructuion a bit thicker so that now the back needs to be really pressed on. I won't recommend that, if you rely very much on exchanging batteries or SIMs from time to time, because opening causes more tension now and so on. I have a external USB-batterypack for my emergency energy needs (with the advantage of not having to reboot the phone), so that doesn't matter for me.
    ananimus likes this.
    I have the touchstone mounted in my car on the dashboard (a little over 45 degree incline), and on the first time I put the pre3 on it it fell off as soon as I touched the gas pedal to pull out of parking.

I removed the trim ring and filed just like johnsonx42. Although it won't take as much punishment as my pre- does, it holds better and today I drove around a bit and it held on. So thanks for the tips!

One thing I noticed is that the pre3's compass gets completely messed up by the touchstone's magnetic field so it is pretty useless when navigating in the car. Still the pre3's GPS is much better than the pre-, acquiring quickly even without the cell radio being on.
    I went and did this:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3205417

Not the most elegant, but works.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast