webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Instant battery drain on Pre3
Instant battery drain on Pre3
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/05/2011, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Took my Pre3 off the touchstone charger this morning after a full night of charging. Had 100% charge. I went ahead and installed Preware, and a tethering app from there. Nothing more. No patches.
After that, my phone locked up, and I had to reboot. Came back on with the low battery sign. Couldn't turn it back on due to a dead battery. It is now sitting back on the charger and its at 2%
How could it have fully drained in a matter of 5 minutes? I used it all day yesterday with no problems.

Anyone else experience anything close to this after installing preware?
jtprec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

When you use the FreeTether app and don't reboot your phone it will drain your battery down even though you turned the off the wifi in the app. It was the same way on my Pre.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Install Govnah and you'll see that, when you exit Freetether, your CPU will stay pegged until you reboot.

Govnah is a great tool for identifying patches that might drain your battery...that and Xserve/Xterm with ps or top.
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I only installed the tethering app from Preware. I didn't use it at all. Never clicked on it within the app drawer. It literally drained from 100% to 0% in 6 minutes
Old 10/05/2011, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
H

If you use xterm / novaterm and run top after using freetether the problem is really clear.

For me the dhcp server stays running and seems to have a bug that causes 100% CPU usage. Seems like an update to freetether could resolve this and many of the other issues
H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think this was some wild app. It will not be able to drain from 100 to 0 in 5 minutes.
Sounds like some problem with the battery or powerd to me.
Are you sure it was on 100% in the morning?
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

i got a similar problem... but just "similar".

Yesterday night i fully charged my pre3. I turned off data and wifi. This morning (9 hours later) i checked and batt was only 15%. Never happened that to me before, but i messed yesterday night with snes emulator (maybe there's a bug in that app for Pre3). I rebooted, re-charged and after a few hours and with wifi on i still have 92% battery left. I will check again this weekend using xterm and top command to check if there's something eating my CPU (and battery) or if it was some kind of weird bug with WebOS.
jgvaldecasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yep. Had it on the touchstone all night. Took it off this morning and checked the percentage. Received a few emails and texts, then installed preware and freetether. Thats all I did. Didnt even run freetether. I'm assuming at this point the percentage to be around 90-95%
I then received a msg, and my phone locked up. Had to reboot, but it wouldnt turn on and stated that my battery was fully discharged.
Its charging now as we speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
I don't think this was some wild app. It will not be able to drain from 100 to 0 in 5 minutes.
Sounds like some problem with the battery or powerd to me.
Are you sure it was on 100% in the morning?
Old 10/06/2011, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just had the same thing happen to me. I've had it sitting on my touchstone most of the day - it was at 100% when I picked it up. Then after a half hour of light usage (no freetether) it froze, gave a low battery alert and shut down. Had to put it back on the touchstone to charge before it would start and when it did it said it was at 2%.
bela41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

we now have a couple of reports like that. It seems that the readings from the A6 chip are completely false sometimes.
Old 10/06/2011, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Battery seems to drain really fast on my Pre3. I don't know if it is because I have Skype and gtalk running in the background at all times, but yes the battery is quickly going down.
Old 10/06/2011, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

bela41, that was exactly my case. I have since Dr'd and so far so good.
Thanked By: netwrkr9
Old 10/06/2011, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprec View Post
bela41, that was exactly my case. I have since Dr'd and so far so good.
Did you lose all your at&t apps after you doctor your Pre3?
Old 10/06/2011, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Nope. I used the AT&T Dr.
Is there a search within Preware for the pre3? I know on my touchpad there is a little magnifying glass to search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
Did you lose all your at&t apps after you doctor your Pre3?
Old 10/06/2011, 06:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

This happened to me today too. Picked the phone from the charger at 100% charged overnight. Went for a drive for an hour, and when i tried to use the phone, all it did was show the battery drained icon and the phone itself was very warm. I was also dumbfounded when I charged the phone, it only took about an hour to be fully charged. Something is up but I can't figure it out yet.
hanggaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 11:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

This happend to me yesterday too (hope it was the first and the last time). The battery was more than 80% and when I checked my phone after 2h it was off and I had to remove the battery to be able to turn the device on. When the phone finished booting the battery was around 70%.
kbywal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2011, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Add me to the list of instant battery drain victims.
First day with my Pre 3; played around, loaded some apps, preware & patches. Recharged. Short time later went to check the weather report, couldn't get Weather Channel to open, & when I went to reboot, got the low battery warning...
jscm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2011, 09:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

To all victims - do you own an European or American model?
Ofek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2011, 11:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

After the battery drops down to 0% (or whatever), does it take a normal 3 to 4 hours to reach a full charge? And is it ok after that?

Someone else wrote about this in another thread but the battery charge indicator sometimes needs to be calibrated. It has to know where the empty and full charge points are and then it interpolates everything in between. With a new battery, the charge indicator can tell where 0% is but it probably has never seen full charge and is just guessing.

I saw a new battery get stuck at 75% for a half hour of browsing than suddenly go to 0%. After charging to full and discharging to shutoff and charging to full again, the battery charge indication has been behaving normally.
kwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2011, 01:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

I got instant battery drain on my EU pre3 several times, but I could not figure out what happened.

Whenever it happened, pre3 was always locked up.

I doubt all the battery was drained in several minute, because pre3 did not release heat.

And after reboot, it take quite long to ba fully charged.

I think something really funny happens during charging and it prevent pre3 to be charged.
letheflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cgonzalo

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0