Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    What should my "Current" reading on Dr. Battery be? Mine is showing at -353 mA
    That's normal if you are using the device. I find screen on but idle is between -90 and -150 for me. In use with moderate load, anywhere from -200 to -400 (depending on what overclock i'm running that day). At idle, really should be less than -20.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    At idle, really should be less than -20.
    I think you mean in sleep (display off). On idle (3mail accounts as arrive, wifi, G3, Twitter) I get around 100mA 30s average from actual scene.
    The calibrate scene updates every 3s and is using the color transition which will drain the battery more.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Now, I'm no expert in batteries, but i had this instant drain thing happen a couple of times. Not that it's a big problem or anything, but I was just wondering: Is it even possible to drain the power of a battery this quickly? Isn't there a limit to how fast the battery can even release the power? Seems werid to me, since it really appears the battery has been completely drained in a matter of minutes.
    I just had the 'Instant Drain' again for the second time.

I was at about 70% last time I looked, then after driving home for 20 mins I took the phone out to see a warning message that the phone will shut off soon. Oddly, the phone was still working, even though the battery said 0%.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    This has happened to me three times on my Verizon Pre 3. It clearly seems like a communication issue between the battery and the device. The second time it happened, after being plugged in for a few minutes the battery returned to a full charge. Dr. Battery indicates a healthy battery.
    I have similar issue on my Pre2 (webOS 2.2.4). No matter if the radio is on-line or the phone is put on the airplane mode, after 2-3 days the battery drain is 10 times higher than normally (fortunately I do not have this problem on my Pre3 which I use as a main phone).
    Dear guys,
    a couple days ago, I also experience this issue, I always use touchstone to charge at the office, I never charge my Pre3 on touchstone from 0%, always about 80%-90%. but a couple days ago, I charge my Pre 3 from 60% using wall charger not touchstone until it full charge 100 %, I also use Dr.Battery, even it's not compatible with Pre3 but I use it as monitor the health of my Battery, it still showed full capacity (1218 mAH)..then I went to the office, it took about half hour to get there, then I looked at my Pre3, it's already at 10% !!!!! & there was a warning for low battery..what's going on here?? then I looked at Dr.Battery, it showed only 518 mAH capacity !!! the icon battery is yellow !! not green anymore..
    I use touchstone to charge it, but there is nothing...the stone couldn't charge it !!!!
    I use the wall charger to charge it, usually it tooks about one hour to have fully charge but now, it only half hour??
    usually, if I unplug it on 06.00 am, I have to plug it in on 22.00 pm. Now? unplug on 06.00 am, plug it on 13.00 pm !!
    whatever it is, it knock down the capacity of my battery..also the capability of it to be charge by touchstone

anyone experience it, guys? please advise..
    evacaf likes this.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I guess I join you guys.
    My Pre3 on Straightalk is dying in 3 hours. Anyone can tell how to fix it ?

I did Uberkernel, JStop, smooth scrolling.... all that still no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I guess I join you guys.
    My Pre3 on Straightalk is dying in 3 hours. Anyone can tell how to fix it ?

I did Uberkernel, JStop, smooth scrolling.... all that still no luck.
    manual updates on email/synergy accounts etc?
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    manual updates on email/synergy accounts etc?
    Hourly update on exchange,hotmail,yahoo and gmail.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Happened to me a couple of times, including this morning. Look once, it's full. Look again, it's down to 0%. 5 minutes on the touchstone and it's back up to full. No freeTether, no UberKernel. Pretty stock Pre 3.

I'm far from an expert, but this can't be an actual drain. Could it be either a software bug or some physical connection problem?
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    An interesting thing happened to my Pre 3 . The battery went to 0 %. And It played Pandora on Wifi for close to two hours.
    Hi folks

I've only recently started working with a '3, but I had noticed similar behavior with my Pre2's (and had several Pre2 replacement units from Verizon as the issue seemed to get progressively worse)...

I'm wondering if there is some kind of thermal runaway happening when switching from charging to running. Especially when charging with Touchstone - it seems to generate a lot more heat. On my '3, it seems the phone routinely gets up to 48C when charging on TS, as opposed to ~43C or cooler when charging by cable.

It just seems that sometimes the phone never coold down from charging, and "something happens" which result in the phone getting even hotter, and the battery running low.

I'll try monitor if there are any constants regarding applications that are running, wifi vs. no wifi, etc.

russ
    Add me to the list. The last few weeks I have to charge 2 times a day instead of 1 time a day/2 days.
    Yep, 'me too'.

My Pre3 with Mugen 1400 battery was fully charged when I pulled it off the touchstone yesterday, listened to a podcast for a couple of hours on the way to work and it was at 0% showing the battery screen by the time I got to work. This is my normal morning usage at it rarely looses more that 10-15% on the journey to work.

I charged it fully and it has behaved normally since but I don't believe it is possible to drain the battery that fast, in fact I am pretty sure the majority of the drain was in the last 10 minutes of the journey as I checked some emails on the train and didn't notice anything wrong which makes it even less likely to be real.

Roll on Open WebOS when we may actually be able to report bugs and have a chance of getting fixes.
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Hi folks

I've only recently started working with a '3, but I had noticed similar behavior with my Pre2's (and had several Pre2 replacement units from Verizon as the issue seemed to get progressively worse)...

I'm wondering if there is some kind of thermal runaway happening when switching from charging to running. Especially when charging with Touchstone - it seems to generate a lot more heat. On my '3, it seems the phone routinely gets up to 48C when charging on TS, as opposed to ~43C or cooler when charging by cable.

It just seems that sometimes the phone never coold down from charging, and "something happens" which result in the phone getting even hotter, and the battery running low.

I'll try monitor if there are any constants regarding applications that are running, wifi vs. no wifi, etc.

russ
    Are you sure about these temperature values ? Because mine doesn't go over 38 while on the touchstone
    Last edited by mazzinia; 03/31/2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Put the wrong temperature
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Hourly update on exchange,hotmail,yahoo and gmail.
    Have you tried deleting your email accounts and relogging in to them? I have been using my Nokia for the past few weeks (it's an N8, I needed the camera, don't hate on me...), but an old trick I learnt on my Pre- was that there must be some moron code in the background draining the battery with Gmail (or maybe Facebook, they are the only two types of account I use on my webOS devices)...I didn't figure it out for ages with my Pre- (which really upset me at the time, I loved that phone...I just couldn't deal with the 3- 4 hour battery) - a few months after the shame of getting an Android handset, I figured what the heck and deleted all my accounts on the Pre- and lo and behold, the battery didn't die halfway through the morning.

Anyway, I'm rambling now but the same thing happened this week when I went back on to my Pre3...I was getting mega-drain of about 40-50% an hour when idle, deleted all my accounts and just put on my Gmail and voila! 2 - 2.5% drain with the screen off! Worryingly it's just done this again tonight, but the trick seemed to work once more. Just syncing all my emails now.

I think it may be the touchstone somehow...I top off the battery with the TS all day at work and earlier on it went super hot (like, 50 degrees C hot...bad, I know, I could smell hot plastic). This shouldn't happen as I have Mode Switcher to auto-switch to a lower frequency (like 1.9Ghz to 800Mhz) when it is touchstone charging, and normally it only goes up by about 5 degrees. Every now and then it goes a bit mental and it may not be a coincidence that my Pre3 needed accounts deleting again.

As for how this happens, I've no idea...
    well, I've had the drain issue randomly I would say 5 times since january. In all cases, it was caused by something going wrong when turning OFF wifi.
    Practically the wifi went off, but it kept thinking it was on and kept looking for syncing... at least this is my impression.

In all cases, a full reboot has been enough

The last time, 2 days ago, upon reboot and with wifi off .. I got a notification about an error connecting to one email account, the same account that the day before had issues due to the provider not authenticating. I've the impression that this could help to pinpoint the problem

The previous time I'm pretty sure that the sequence I used to turn off bluetooth while wifi was on, caused the issue....
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    Have you tried deleting your email accounts and relogging in to them? I have been using my Nokia for the past few weeks (it's an N8, I needed the camera, don't hate on me...), but an old trick I learnt on my Pre- was that there must be some moron code in the background draining the battery with Gmail (or maybe Facebook, they are the only two types of account I use on my webOS devices)...I didn't figure it out for ages with my Pre- (which really upset me at the time, I loved that phone...I just couldn't deal with the 3- 4 hour battery) - a few months after the shame of getting an Android handset, I figured what the heck and deleted all my accounts on the Pre- and lo and behold, the battery didn't die halfway through the morning.

Anyway, I'm rambling now but the same thing happened this week when I went back on to my Pre3...I was getting mega-drain of about 40-50% an hour when idle, deleted all my accounts and just put on my Gmail and voila! 2 - 2.5% drain with the screen off! Worryingly it's just done this again tonight, but the trick seemed to work once more. Just syncing all my emails now.

I think it may be the touchstone somehow...I top off the battery with the TS all day at work and earlier on it went super hot (like, 50 degrees C hot...bad, I know, I could smell hot plastic). This shouldn't happen as I have Mode Switcher to auto-switch to a lower frequency (like 1.9Ghz to 800Mhz) when it is touchstone charging, and normally it only goes up by about 5 degrees. Every now and then it goes a bit mental and it may not be a coincidence that my Pre3 needed accounts deleting again.

As for how this happens, I've no idea...

I did the delete accounts and add back. The battery life improved slightly. However the phone just drains it out of nowhere. I see the Wifi connection "Donut" running all the time and the wifi signal go back and forth. I applied GuyfromNam's revert back to old wifi driver. Still no luck

Grrrrr..
    I've just had this experience today.

I have an AT&T Pre3 running the stock kernel. I have installed PreWare and turned e-mail accounts to manual.

Patches installed are:
    -Govnah, [currently reporting Palm Default, 122.88Mhz, 29C,-81mA,8.28/8.21/8.12, 364/10MB]
    although whilst I have been typing this message the CPU Frequency graph shows I have been running at 1.4016Ghz about 50% of the time without me touching the phone. Every time I look at Govnah it seems to settle back down to 122.88Mhz.
    -Clock sync (set to every 6 hours)
    -GPS Fix,
    -EOM Overlord monitoring,
    -GNU patch,
    -LSDIFF,
    -Quiet powerd messages,
    -Removed drop packet logging,
    -Unthrottle download manager,
    -Wifi Fix for Pre3-224

I had rubbish battery life, about 5 hours of decent use. Then I loaded my profile onto a Veer, then when I decided to go back to my Pre3, re-loaded my WebOS profile back to this phone and for some reason the battery life has been much better since.

I was going on a long train journey today and being in contact for texts and calls was more important to me than data. I couldn't see how to turn off all data and 3G (maybe I am being thick) so I installed:

"GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu" from PreWare.

I turned off data and left it at "2G-" status and GPS off. Whilst I was waiting for my train I left the Pre3 connected to the car via the proper Palm car kit. I checked the battery every so often whilst listening to the radio and it charged from 81% to 90% then for the last 25 mins kept flicking between 91% and back down to 90%, even when idle with the screen off for almost 10 mins in the middle. Odd but nothing I could do about it.

I completed the first leg of my journey and saw something really interesting so I took a picture, turned data back on and connected to FaceBook. I checked in at the station and posted the picture, then I turned off data & GPS again. Battery was down to 85%.

Got where I was going, so I sent a dozen texts, forwarding and editing them slightly for each recipient, so working the phone quite hard. Suddenly it gave me the low battery warning. I thought it was odd so I turned it off and on again. It gave me the empty battery logo. I had an emergency battery charger on me so I hooked that up and turned it on again. It came on showing 0%. I disconnected the emergency charger and the phone stayed on at 0% (still at "2G-" status) for the next 4.5 hours until I got home! On the Touchstone it went and it took ages to get from 0% up to 14% (about an hour), then the next time I checked it, it was at 100%.

I hope this background, as detailed as I could make it, helps someone work out the cause.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help....

1) Is there a problem with the "GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu" patch? I am reluctant to remove it unless someone can tell me how to turn off 3G etc...

2) Would you recommend any other patches, or removing any of the ones I have?

Thanks
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast