Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those of you who have had both do you think its worth it? Is the experience better? I really like the pre 2 and only think the larger screen would be nicer to have. Also is there a weather channel, FB and some decent music apps? Thanks in advance.
    it is worth it.
    Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyCannoli View Post
    For those of you who have had both do you think its worth it? Is the experience better? I really like the pre 2 and only think the larger screen would be nicer to have. Also is there a weather channel, FB and some decent music apps? Thanks in advance.
    Absolutely.
    Have both, but i like the pre2 formfactor more. Additionally Pre3 only has 8GB and the ram is somewhat badly managed there as i get the old Pre- known TMC-Error too often on the Pre3. Hope this needs software polish only. Display is great and after a few hours with pre3 the pre2 display seems very old, though even if it's not as light in the sun as Pre2's.

Have a look at http://www.precentral.net/review-hp-pre3 and weight-in the goods and the bads for yourself.

Softwareside is the most crucial thing about Pre3 as well OS and app-side.
    Pre 3 has a better build, awesome screen, I have no tmc errors so far, much much faster than the pre 2. Advantages for keeping the pre 2 are: more compact, application compatibility, accessories compatibility and more storage. I recommend upgrading :-) I don`t miss my pre 2

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm thinking of doing this too. I haven't ever seen a Pre 3 in person, but I like the idea of the bigger screen and keyboard. I love my Pre 2, but it's a bit on the small side.
    My Pre 3 has 16gb of storage, which seems to be the case for most of the AT&T devices sold on ebay. I never got the tmc while using it. I never used a Pre 2, but all I can say is that the Pre 3 is VERY nice and a real beast!
    Just do it, you won't regret it
    can any pre3 owners comment on GPS accuracy, etc? please let me know what network you are on as well.
    I'll go ahead and go against the crowd, well sort of.... I have used both if you want the larger screen than do it, it is awesome. But having said that, some of the apps have issues, and just the fate of this devices being unknown - what if it breaks? I believe neither AT&T or HP will help you. The biggest thing for me is SKYPE as I bought a skype to phone plan; for like $2 something a month I get unlimited calls to phones, it's great under wifi, not so great if you're driving on AT&T nut if you stand still it's also good. Other than that the Pre 2 is a very capable device I don;t see a huge speed difference in everyday use. If you're ok with the size and don't need SKYPE (which also has some issues) I'd keep the Pre 2. It's mainly size and SKYPE for me.

just my 2-
    Tom
    Yes. Yesitty yes yes! Beyond even the *much* faster/better/more responsive GPS, even on VZW (*grin*), the speed, bigger/clearer screen and autofocus camera (QR code scanning! Closeups!) make a huge difference. So will the world phone capabilities, if I ever get to leave the country again.

Right now, I can see only a very few advantages my Pre2 has over my Pre3:

1) My Pre3 is *irreplaceable*; I have at least a shot of getting replacement hardware if the Pre2 is lost or broken.

2) As a corollary to the above, I have not been able to find either screen protectors or hard cases for the Pre3. *Very worrying*

3) I can't yet use the Pre3's LED flash as a flashlight; Jason Robitaille is trying to find out how the Pre3 controls the LED so he can update his patch and apps that make that possible.

4) I really miss the 2600 mA extended battery in my Pre2. The Pre3 has decent battery life, and I own *many* Touchstones at home and elsewhere (car, work), but I still am more fearful of being away from a charger than I used to be.

5) There are fewer patches yet available for the Pre3, and many apps' descriptions need to be updated so that the App Catalog will show them as available for the Pre3.

Believe me, if you have a chance to affordably switch from the Pre2 to the Pre3, GO FOR IT! {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  14.    #14  
    thanks to all for the replies but can anyone comment on apps? Are there decent weather, music and a facebook app? Games? Thanks.
    some of the pre3 listings on ebay list no speakerphone, is that possible?

Thanks for the info on GPS Prof. Ezor, I know you have been keeping track of the vzw gps issues for quite a while. Thats great news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    some of the pre3 listings on ebay list no speakerphone, is that possible?

Thanks for the info on GPS Prof. Ezor, I know you have been keeping track of the vzw gps issues for quite a while. Thats great news.
    Just used a few minutes ago, so yes the Pre 3 has speakerphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Yes. Yesitty yes yes! Beyond even the *much* faster/better/more responsive GPS, even on VZW (*grin*), the speed, bigger/clearer screen and autofocus camera (QR code scanning! Closeups!) make a huge difference. So will the world phone capabilities, if I ever get to leave the country again.

Right now, I can see only a very few advantages my Pre2 has over my Pre3:

1) My Pre3 is *irreplaceable*; I have at least a shot of getting replacement hardware if the Pre2 is lost or broken.

{Jonathan}
    Well - first, amazingly enough for a discontinued item, there seems to be no shortage of Pre 3's on ebay, if you got the scratch. Second, my Pre 2 IS my Pre 3 backup if it breaks and I can't get another!
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyCannoli View Post
    thanks to all for the replies but can anyone comment on apps? Are there decent weather, music and a facebook app? Games? Thanks.
    There is a list here on the forums of apps that do/don't/have anomalies. Of all the apps I had on my Pre2 (and there's a bunch), the only one that seems not to work (won't even install) is "Touchstone Weather". Not sure it is a Pre 3 issue or an app catalog issue. All my other apps loaded right from my profile.

Caution - after configuring my Pre 3 and installing the update to 2.2.3, my Pre 2 (using the same profile) became unusable. It would not even boot up completely. I had to dr. it to bring it back to a usable form, so it looks like there may be no going back with the profile here at least until (if) there is a Pre 2 fw update. Which means the Pre 2 can be my backup if the 3 dies, but might be re-buying apps on another profile... not sure.

edit: take that back - "Touchstone Weather" does download, but fails the install.
    Last edited by Prdamrican; 10/05/2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: additional info
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I am glad I upgraded. At the current eBay prices, I'd say go for it. It comes with FaceBook and a standard Music player. Most of the apps I had on my Pre2 work fine on my Pre3.
    It is most definitely worth it! If you love your pre2 then you will not regret it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast