1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have two wireless networks at home: 'network1' and 'network2'... My Pre3 has a problem with an automatic connection when switching from one network to another. Only solution then is to do a manual search and then connect. Question still is, why the Pre3 isn't automaticly connecting to the strongest wifi signal wherever it is? My Pre Classic never had any issues with this...Any similar experiences? Possible solution?
    do you need 2 seperate networks? Or could you just replace 1 with a booster/extender?

dunno about the strongest signal thing tho, I have a normal wifi network and a mifi mobile net, my pre3 stays on whichever I click manually, but then that's what I want/told it to do.
    A lot of laptops have this problem to. I think you are stuck with it....
    Just a thought... you can change (on many wireless routers) the MAC address of the wireless interface. You can duplicate the MAC on one router to the other, name them both the same (same SSID) and that may have the desired effect you are looking for. Outside of that, using a wireless range extender like the Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender works like a charm.

Root
    I tried the below method once, but now do it differently.

To start with, my Pre3 and Pre Plus, both will lock on to the stronger of the 2 Linksys wireless routers in my home.

One router acts as a rounter/accesspoint and the other connected via cat5 cable is configured as access point only. You must change the local IP address of the secondary router to a different IP address of the first, so it will be separately accessible via web browser. Then, you must disable DHCP server mode and NAT mode on the secondary router, as the primary router manages the IP addresses.

That's what I did and has always worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post
    Just a thought... you can change (on many wireless routers) the MAC address of the wireless interface. You can duplicate the MAC on one router to the other, name them both the same (same SSID) and that may have the desired effect you are looking for. Outside of that, using a wireless range extender like the Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender works like a charm.

Root
    isnt there going to be a "middle point" at some time tho, where both have equal or fluctuating "best signal" woudlnt this send the wifi insane for a while as it keeps swapping from 1 to the other as they dance "best signal" ?
  7.    #7  
    Hi all,

I have the exact same situation as jim_buchanan does, with a router/modem downstairs and separate, cabled to my router, wireless access point upstairs, both using different IP addresses and channels.. The Pre3 has a hard time automaticly switching connection when I go upstairs or downstairs. I also tried changing channels, but that didn't help either. Sometimes if I try to connect manually I get a 'connection failed' error, even when I sit next to the ap. After rebooting the ap, the Pre then connects. I never had this issue with my Pre Classic and the network at home didn't change since I have the Pre3. So I blame it on a buggy driver in the Pre3...Guess I can forget about an official driver update on this, or some homebrewer should figure out a patch..
    Last edited by apeka53; 10/07/2011 at 07:22 AM.
    Well, after trying to get up and running with my new Pre3, I have the same problem as apek53. I find my Pre3 sluggish changing from one WiFi signal to the other. So, that makes 2 of use. I guess the solution os to wait for a firmware update?

Quote Originally Posted by apeka53 View Post
    Hi all,

I have the exact same situation as jim_buchanan does, with a router/modem downstairs and separate, cabled to my router, wireless access point upstairs, both using different IP addresses and channels.. The Pre3 has a hard time automaticly switching connection when I go upstairs or downstairs. I also tried changing channels, but that didn't help either. Sometimes if I try to connect manually I get a 'connection failed' error, even when I sit next to the ap. After rebooting the ap, the Pre then connects. I never had this issue with my Pre Classic and the network at home didn't change since I have the Pre3. So I blame it on a buggy driver in the Pre3...Guess I can forget about an official driver update on this, or some homebrewer should figure out a patch..