Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    @mich.bushi I wanted to step off the subject briefly and ask you about the SAMSUNG Android you also have. It is the closest thing to my situation having my Pre 3 and my HTC EVO 3D. My question was how you like the S2 performance wise and is it buggy ? I mean all Android phones are buggy but to what extent ? I have had nothing but trouble with SAMSUNG phones but this one and the NEXUS S SEEM LIKE THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT. Your thoughts because if I keep my Android I was thinking of giving my EVO 3D to my wife (it is only 2 months old) and getting the Galaxy S2. Played a bit with it in the store and it is gorgeous in both fit and finish as well as the screen resolution and processing speed. Better memory also than my HTC.
    Last edited by MUNOGABBAGABBA; 10/06/2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by mich.bushi View Post
    Currently, I am carrying around Galaxy S2 and Pre 3, and I don't really like that setup too much.

Pre 3 - as of date, it doesn't live up to my expectations, hardware is solid in general, some things are fantastic (keyboard/form factor! screen size/resolution, finally something that is at least NOT ********, in webOS phones land!), but with some GLARING omissions (like very sharp edges of a volume button (***, you colud literally cut your fingers on my xample, before I've dealt with them using wet sandpaper), creaky back, loose slider mechanism - that's the biggest bummer), that significantly lowers my experience/does not reasure me about longevity of the phone. Then, there's weight... My gosh, that phone weight is year 2009, and it is not even metal construction, like HTC Desire S, that I also own and use from time to time. Then there's touchscreen, which attracts dirt/grease like something out of this world, and also is strangely less "smooth" in touch, than both my SGS2 & Desire S screens.

Software wise - while I do love and appreciate numerous synergies in using webOS phone, and really enjoy how it is all thought out to come together - again, some GLARING omissions/bugs/inconsistencies, that I don't know if ever get fixed, because of the current state of affairs.

So ATM, I simply could not use Pre 3 as my main phone, because of lack of vital apps that I am using daily, also hardware quality is just that one single notch too low - paired together, it is just that little bit too much of a "feature phone" experience, rather than a "Smartphone". Still love the system and how smooth it is to work with it - so what, if there's not too much I can actually DO using this cool system, because of lack of big names apps...

I hope some good oleophobic screen foil would help with screen improving in "smoothness", tried to disassemble phone & tighten slider mechanism a little bit and - while improved things significantly (after my little hack, my phone is solid as a rock in a right-left direction in open position - seriously, after being fully open, there is NO movement in left-right plane AT ALL, it is as solid as it was a candybar ), it is still not up to my expectations (still rocking back & forth when opened, and have that imensely annoying "spring" effect, when tapping closed - but I haven't had my final word on that yet , and have some quite cool idea how to make it really beautifull in handling, that involves small neodymium magnets in one - two strategic points - we wil se if I succeede with implementation)

I suppose at the moment it is a bit of love/hate relationship for me. When I don't handle my Android phones for a while, I love Pre 3. Than I use them for a moment, and instantly being reminded "why Pre 3 could not have had the same feeling of a high quality & attention to details to it, as high-end Droids, why the heck that system was never pushed hard enough to get some traction with big names developers, etc... Oh, BTW, at the same moment I am being reminded how absolutely atrocious user experience Android as an OS is... It is like Win 3.11 versus Amiga OS all over again...

Regards,
    I've been trying to cut my fingers with the volume rocker and have failed at every attempt. And the case being non metal makes it a comfortable hold actually..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Solid hardware, no sharp edges (sorry, the volume rocker on mine isnt anywhere near what mich.bushi cited above)
    "Oh, I bruise easily! Don't throw any tofu's or bean curds at me! Okay, the listener lines are open, this is Chatterbox, you're on the air!"
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Got my Pre 3 a couple of weeks ago. Needed a phone to replace my ZTE Blade as the battery was appalling!

For the money paid, I'm quite satisfy with the phone. Note that I'm not a big app users as such...

On the plus side, most basic features are working fine, mail synergy, contacts and calendar synched with Google, Skype works. Physical keyboard and he tethering (via freetether) are a big plus for me.

On the down side, the incoming calls not recognising the contact names is a major down for me... I would change only for that reason as HP doesn't seem to be solving it. I liked my Google apps on Android, so I'm disappointed to have Bing instead of Maps, and not having the cool others ones like G+, Places, Goggles etc ... I miss some sport apps too I enjoyed like RunKeeper or NikePlus. I don't much like the alternative (smartrunner I think it's called).

All in all, I do like the user experience, and most of the features, but do have like an unfinished business taste on the mouth.

If phone would have been positioned at similar price as competition HTC, Samsung top phone, I wouldn't buy it.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    my only complaint is that coming from Sprint with awesome Google Voice integration and then using H2o for Pre3 kinda sucks.....and may end up being a deal killer.

Google voice just barely works and Voogle is not a solution......its slow and buggy, and does not replace the phone or message apps, so not true integration.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Yeah. Google voice integration is important for me, too. When my Pre- died, I switched to an android, and switched entirely to my google voice number. I don't text all that many people (but I send a lot of texts), and can probably just re-enable text message forwarding and add the gateway number to my contacts, but the google voice integration on androids was so seamless it's going to be tough to use others if I go back to using the pre full time.

Honestly, google voice and gmail are the only two apps I'd miss leaving android for webos again. But I'd miss them a lot.
    Pre3 is my only phone but I'm coming from a Pre2 and a Pre Plus so the only thing either of those phones can do is Google Maps with Latitude.

8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Letijr View Post
    Got my Pre 3 a couple of weeks ago. Needed a phone to replace my ZTE Blade as the battery was appalling!

For the money paid, I'm quite satisfy with the phone. Note that I'm not a big app users as such...

On the plus side, most basic features are working fine, mail synergy, contacts and calendar synched with Google, Skype works. Physical keyboard and he tethering (via freetether) are a big plus for me.

On the down side, the incoming calls not recognising the contact names is a major down for me... I would change only for that reason as HP doesn't seem to be solving it. I liked my Google apps on Android, so I'm disappointed to have Bing instead of Maps, and not having the cool others ones like G+, Places, Goggles etc ... I miss some sport apps too I enjoyed like RunKeeper or NikePlus. I don't much like the alternative (smartrunner I think it's called).

All in all, I do like the user experience, and most of the features, but do have like an unfinished business taste on the mouth.

If phone would have been positioned at similar price as competition HTC, Samsung top phone, I wouldn't buy it.

ANDROID to your Pre 3 ? My stuff already had been backed up from an old WORK Veer account. I just shared contacts to the Pre 3 from the HTC EVO 3D via a Bluetooth share and I can see all my contact names when they are calling me on the Pre 3.
    Moved from Pre- to Veer to Pre3, and cannot believe how great this phone is. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how good the Bluetooth is. I have a Motorola Roadster, a fantastic concept, but I was about to give up on it until I got the 3. The sound from the 3 is EXCELLENT.
    eighthree, ToniCipriani - I appreciate your experiences with YOURS Pre 3s are different than mine. I know that some people don't experience rocking sliders, too - well, I am. The keyboard (and it's integration into webOS) is about the best thing in MY Pre 3, but sadly, it is but ONE great thing about it's hardware.

My Pre (-) didn't have any of the hardware issues, reported by dozens of other people, for 18 months, until it's screen cracked on it's own accord, and started "touching itself". Does it mean, that the phone was solid? I don't think so, cuz so many people DID experienced the same issues.

It only confirms earlier findings, and embarassing Palm's tradition/legacy, as to about manufacturing process/inconsistencies/part tolerances not being up to scratch, having TOO big of an impact on the overall quality, and sadly, lack of a proper Quality Assurance/Control in place. That is not a big deal, things like that happens, but they have to be dealt with. But I would think, that over two years (since orig Pre (-)) should be enough time, to get rid of them, especially, that SUPPOSEDLY, they were about to end with the legacy of "cheap" feeling, they were about to introduce a "premium" phone with the Pre 3. Well, mine is the very definition of "cheap feeling" and lack of attention to details, and quality control, and as far from "premium" feeling as I can only imagine. Which is sad, because (belive it or not), I had a REASON to buy unlocked Pre 3 (and go throught all the hassle to get one), and was honestly looking forward for it, hoping that it wil be a solid device, that I will be using for years to come (probably around two years), proud that I have one, regardless the platform has died.

Also, my volume buttons, not only being sharp at the ends initially (until I dealt with them - so no need to try to ridicule me, if your's aren't, good for you, but it is not my fingers that are too fragile, thank you for your concerns, it was a crappy finish of my volume rocker - or rather the unfinished one that made its way out from the factory in my phone - and it shouldn't have happened, if there was any real QA in place, because whomever even touched it, it would be discovered at once), but are also very erratic (require significant force to press, but sometimes, when you squeeze the side of the phone below the "Vol down" button, it activates Vol down. My volume up button requires much harder press than my volume down, and sometimes doesn't work at all until I press the case here and there & squeeze it together. This is regardless the fact that button registers very distinguish "click", that I can feel with my fingers, and that should confirm to me that it was registered properly.

Squeaky back in my case was solved by putting a bit of a cardboard between battery and plastic back, but I believe that contributed even more to the erratic Vol Up button behaviour - and I would MUCH preffer to NOT have all these issues at all, and NOT having to deal with them - and many of them, I simply have NO MEANS to deal with.

As for "plastic being more comfortable to hold than metal" - please, handle for a while HTC Desire S with it's anodized aluminium "unibody" back, and much smoother screen (Pre3's screen feels like rubber in touch, by comparison, and it seems like it has some special surface that ATTRACTS more grease & dirt, than physically possible), and then come back to the discussion - you will come humbled, probably. Another funny thing about Pre 3's "soft touch" plastic - it actually is quite slippery in your hand, if you do not hold the phone tight, only doesn't FEEL so. Just try to slide it down by putting it on your OPEN palm, and turning it slowly, notice how quick your phone will start to slip - about 30, maybe 40 deg in my case (definitiely less than 45 deg, which is quite an achievement!)

To round things up, my earpiece had stopped working yesterday. I can't hear a thing when not in speakerphone/earphones mode. I had to send it back to HP, and hope for replacement. Also hope that one that comes back (well, if they have them, that is...), will be a better one.

Next, my credit card doesn't work with the App Catalog - tells me "it probably is stolen/counterfeit". Well, too bad that it isn't, I'd rather not to have to earn all that money I've spend using it! Too bad, also, that it works OK in every other online store and Android Market, too. Seems like someone doesn't want my money- well, OK, but I'd like to have a possibility to buy paid apps, without being denied and called a thief, because, you know, selection of the free ones is not exactly the biggest in the world.

Next, my device sounds like angry wasp's nest inside a tin can, when vibrating in "silent" mode - because of a loose slider. It is not "silent" at all, because of that.

Next when I tap on a closed screen, I can feel distinctively that the slider is loose, too, it feels like tapping something lying loosely on the table, very cheap feeling to it.

All these above, doesn't feel reasurring, as for the phone that in all probability will be next to impossible to replace, in the coming months. Frustrates me immensely, and takes the joy of using it away from me.

It is (WAS, before earpiece failure) OK to use, because all the good/great things were counter balanced by these little/not so little annoyances. But it didn't feel great at any moment, apart from keyboard and it's integration with the system.

Sorry, but that's just MY experience with MY Pre 3. I can't help you if it is different than yours, or have offended anyone . I really, really wanted that phone to be my no.1 & only, but it doesn't live to my needs/expectations, to become one.
    Holy wall of text Batman !!! o.O
    oh I almost for got my pre on AT&T rocks ! Its solid no issues to speak of and it just works great !! Thanks , good day .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by MUNOGABBAGABBA View Post
    @mich.bushi I wanted to step off the subject briefly and ask you about the SAMSUNG Android you also have. It is the closest thing to my situation having my Pre 3 and my HTC EVO 3D. My question was how you like the S2 performance wise and is it buggy ? I mean all Android phones are buggy but to what extent ? I have had nothing but trouble with SAMSUNG phones but this one and the NEXUS S SEEM LIKE THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT
    Well, it is not more "buggy" than my other Android Desire S - I mean, if you instal a lot of applications that are meant to replace the build-in functionality with the ones that you prefer, than occasionally, on both phones, you will get things grinding here and there for a moment or two. But nothing really show-stopping that I'd notice - about the most annoying thing is occasional resetting the system notifications/lock screen app to default Samsung ones, instead of the ones I've installed, and I gave up trying to pinpoint & solve it - because funnily enough, usually next restart and/or update solves things back to my likings. And in any regards, it is not that great of an issue, to have two lock screen applications active, that I must dismiss one after another (it happens every now and then), or have two different applications displaying a notification that I have unread SMS messages (also happens randomly, but only occasionally).
    This happens on both Sammy & HTC, so I would not attribute it to an OEM, but rather to the Android itself. Just like your Windows computer, it has it's moods, it seems .

But that is about one annoyance I came across, and again, this is mostly because I am replacing defult things included with the phone, like SMS application, or lock screen application.

Apart from that - user experience of Android as a system, if you come from something as polished as webOS, is appaling, but honestly - only in comparison, and if you are constantly fiddling with the options, because otherwise, it is quite passable, if you stick to TouchWiz and use it as manufacturer designed it for - there are even couple of things that SHOULD be implemented in webOS by now, coming from the Synergy and all (like unified view of all actions related to a contact - texts, communicator logs, calls, IMs), but because webOS was in a stasis for so long, other are overcoming it in places.

Nothing as satisfying as the multitasking on a webOS. That might be stil couple of iterations ahead of us (if ever!)

Sammy also comes with Swype keyboard preinstalled, brilliant concept and execution, where you don't tap the keys, but rather slide your finger through the letters as you'd be putting them all on a thread, you don't have to be accurate at all, and 99% of time it figures out the word correctly. If not, than you simply tap the word away normally, and it adds automatically to the dictionary. It is brilliant idea & implementation, and makes the touch-screen keyboard ALMOST bearable to me

On the other hand, screen in SGS2 is absolutely stunning, phone feels very well put together, and even when I tear it down (was trying to figure out how to implement a Touchstone charging with it, but have given up for now, since get the Pre 3, and also didn't want to mess up the warranty), it seems better thought out internally (simpler construction, not over-complicated as Pre 3's, which I was also already opening - to try & fix the loose slider). Phone's back is also slippery, but just a bit less than Pre 3's, thus it feels slightly more reassuring to hold. The squared design is not that nice to hold as Pre 3's, which in turn is not even nearly as nice as Desire S'. Also, applications experience, my gosh, if I could have half of the variety and half of the quality of that what comes with Android on webOS, I'd be happy using it ever after.

All in all, I would have recommend SGS2 without any doubts, if slab phones are your thing. Maybe do a side by side with HTC Sensation, to make sure what fits you best - but the Galaxy screen is a winner for me, though HTC Unibody metal chassis, is the one thing that could swing me towards them. That is one thing to each of them, each best in class in it's regard. Also if you are into even bigger phones , it might be worth it to wait for Nexus Prime, to be introduced any week now (announcement event postponed because of Steve Jobs deperture from this world, RIP), it will have 720p HD resolution screen, so significantly higher res, also Super AMOLED (I believe & hope Super AMOLED PLUS variety, that has RGB stripe pattern, rather than RGBG of a regular Super AMOLED, but this has to be confirmed yet), but on a yet bigger screen - so it depends what are your needs, I think it would be too big for me - unless they keep the phone size unchanged, then of course I would welcome it.

regards,
    Last edited by mich.bushi; 10/10/2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added some points
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Holy wall of text Batman !!! o.O
    oh I almost for got my pre on AT&T rocks ! Its solid no issues to speak of and it just works great !! Thanks , good day]
    sorry Maybe it was too long post.

Yeah it seems that ATT Pre3s are better built than European GSM ones, in few other regards as well (better & faster software upgrades, too)

Mayber European ones were the first initial batch, and the issues I am talking about were then resolved and are not present in ATT ones? Good for you, but I am affraid that my European replacement phone (if they have it, that is!), might come from the same dodgy manufacturing batch. We will see.

regards,
    Last edited by mich.bushi; 10/10/2011 at 07:12 AM.
    Yeah it seems that ATT Pre3s are better built than European GSM ones, in few other regards as well (better & faster software upgrades, too)

Mayber European ones were the first initial batch, and the issues I am talking about were then resolved and are not present in ATT ones? Good for you, but I am affraid that my European replacement phone (if they have it, that is!), might come from the same dodgy manufacturing batch. We will see.
    I have both the AT&T and the UK (Euro) Pre3 and to me there is absolutely no difference in build quality of the two. As for the build quality itself, I think it is top notch. The only thing keeping the Pre3 from being a really great phone, is the still unrefined, webOS. It is shocking that even with this level of hardware, the phone still lags and at times becomes unresponsive.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I have both the AT&T and the UK (Euro) Pre3 and to me there is absolutely no difference in build quality of the two. As for the build quality itself, I think it is top notch.
    Wow! Thanks, you've made my day, sir! It means, I have a good chance, that my replacement Pre 3 (id provided by HP...) will be a good one, and that mine was just a terrible example - that would be indeed great.
    I think that I saw a pattern with other EU GSM Pre 3 owners complaining about loose sliders (front-back direction movement, especially when opened, and the "spring" effect when tapping on closed screen), but that might be not a norm then, hopefully!

As for the sub optimal software... well... The platform was effectively adrift for how long... If we can feel anger and frustration, even being enraged by the level of incompetence displayed by the HPalm decision makers, how do you guys think it affects morale of the people inside the company, who are in that mush day in, day out, trying to put their best of knowledge & talent, only to be steered onto the rocks by some empty enterprise suits, only to be laid out after all what was not their responsibility had misfired...
    Also, let's face it, if you are top of the crop mobile hardware/software designer/developer/whatever, for the last 18 or so months, HPalm wasn't exactly the sexiest place to work...
    So, true, I was hoping that with 1.4 GHz webOS will be FLYING at 60fps all the time, but all in all, I think it is quite smooth, and for sure nothing painful (apart from that occasional "freeze" for few seconds - that thing is a real PAIN and should be a showstopper for the dev team, and I can hardly understand how it is still there, after two years of QA/bug fixing.

Regards
    Last edited by mich.bushi; 10/10/2011 at 11:48 AM.
  16.    #36  
    Wow! Thanks, you've made my day, sir! It means, I have a good chance, that my replacement Pre 3 (id provided by HP...) will be a good one, and that mine was just a terrible example - that would be indeed great.
    I think that I saw a pattern with other EU GSM Pre 3 owners complaining about loose sliders (front-back direction movement, especially when opened, and the "spring" effect when tapping on closed screen), but that might be not a norm then, hopefully!

As for the sub optimal software... well... The platform was effectively adrift for how long... If we can feel anger and frustration, even being enraged by the level of incompetence displayed by the HPalm decision makers, how do you guys think it affects morale of the people inside the company, who are in that mush day in, day out, trying to put their best of knowledge & talent, only to be steered onto the rocks by some empty enterprise suits, only to be laid out after all what was not their responsibility had misfired...
    Also, let's face it, if you are top of the crop mobile hardware/software designer/developer/whatever, for the last 18 or so months, HPalm wasn't exactly the sexiest place to work...
    So, true, I was hoping that with 1.4 GHz webOS will be FLYING at 60fps all the time, but all in all, I think it is quite smooth, and for sure nothing painful (apart from that occasional "freeze" for few seconds - that thing is a real PAIN and should be a showstopper for the dev team, and I can hardly understand how it is still there, after two years of QA/bug fixing.

Regards
    So I have seen very little onscreen freezing on my Pre 3 but have been only using it a week or two. I did have a Veer and Pre 2 for work while at HP and little to no software issues on my phones. I will say this, like mich.bushi says already my slider is already way too loose for only being used for a week or two. This did not occur with my Pre 2 or Veer. Also when the camera is being used the lens seems to be making a grinding mechanical noise as it trys to focus and it sounds broken even though it works fine. I guess I am glad that I have an extra Pre 3 brand new in the box that I was going to sell but might keep now in case this one takes a crap on me, which it might seeing all these issues after only two and a half weeks.
    Last edited by MUNOGABBAGABBA; 10/10/2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by MUNOGABBAGABBA View Post
    So I have seen very little onscreen freezing on my Pre 3 but have been only using it a week or two.
    It doesn't happen often, but when it happens, it is really BAD experience (with a potential to mess up seriously - because users tend to tap screen randomly when it happens, and all these touch events are being recorded and then "replayed" in rapid succession when phone "unfreezes" - doing whatever you would happen to do, when tapping the screen this way), so it should be dealt with, and long ago.
    I have been using my Pre 3 now for a week, fast and responsive and zero lags and freezing. My volume rockers could not even cut warm butter. I was thinking of buying a backup Pre 3 but the build is so solid on mine I am considering not purchasing one unless the prices drop down a lot more. Where I live I have H+ and I am very pleased with it, super fast.
    All in all very pleased with my Pre 3, does everything that I need from a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have been using my Pre 3 now for a week, fast and responsive and zero lags and freezing. My volume rockers could not even cut warm butter. I was thinking of buying a backup Pre 3 but the build is so solid on mine I am considering not purchasing one unless the prices drop down a lot more. Where I live I have H+ and I am very pleased with it, super fast.
    All in all very pleased with my Pre 3, does everything that I need from a smartphone.
    Im getting another one in order to have a spare battery and charger. And accidents do happen I don't want to take the chance of not being able to get another pre3 if I lose or break this one.

I think lots of us are still stuck in the 2009 hardware mentality b/c we're still hanging onto our Pres (and even back then Pre hardware sucked immensely). So you go from Pre to Pre3... whoa! A night and day difference. Everything feels better. More solid build, better screen, solid slider, and it's fast. I have an active Pre- and an ATT pre3 that I'm trying to figure out what to do with (I bought it... it was buy now, think later).

I went to the Sprint store today. Whoa... have you picked up and felt Galaxy S II? It's so freakin light... it feels leap years ahead of anything HPalm's put out. Compared to that, Pre 3 feels like an old brick. I'm sorry, last week when I picked up Pre 3 in my hand for the first time, I was in utter awe. Now, after having handled the best of 2011 has to offer, that sense of wonder is gone. The only thing that's keeping me from a GSII is my repulsion to the whole Android experience. The UI just sucks. But all the apps are there. Lots of webOS die-hards will say "we don't need 100 fart apps"... but at the same time, if you have a smart phone, I've concluded that it's ALL about the apps.

How many ppl right now are using Pre3 as a feature phone right now? With enhanced web browsing?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast