Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MekkelRichards
  • 1 Post By cliberti
  • 1 Post By jdale
  1.    #1  
    This DESPERATELY needs to be brought up, even if it has been many times before.

The WebOS browser just plain SUCKS.

Every few page loads I get a bug that I have been having since my first Pre-.
    -The bottom half of the page will turn gray and I will not be able to scroll down further.
    If i rotate to landscape, the rest of the page will show up, but this happens so regularly that it is just totally unacceptable.

Also, TEXT F****** REFLOW!
    -How does the browser on a phone in 2011 not have automatic text reflowing!????!!
    When you zoom into text it should reflow it for our screens so that it is readable. Nobody should have to zoom all the way in a pan left to right to read anything.

Something needs to be done. I do not think these problems can be solved with a patch, I think that these lie in the browser's code.

Does anyone out there have any kind of possible solution for now or the future?

Maybe we should get together and get HP's attention to get their few remaining WebOS developers to get a fix out.
    tintangg likes this.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Also, I thought this was an HTML5 browser. Then why on HTML5 pages that use location services does my location not show up? I have tried with SF Muni. On iPhone and Android it gets my location, shows the closest stops and shows when the next bus is coming. It doesn't work on the pre3.
    brum likes this.
  3.    #3  
    does anyone have an idea for a solution?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    +1
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quite annoying problem. Got it here too.
    As of today, only Android phones have text reflow. They may have a patent on that functionalty. And don't expect much from WebOS. They're only going to support the TP until they a) shut it down b) sell it.
    That is one of the best things about the Android browser. CM7 had double tap to reflow and pinch zoom without. That would be awesome.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    The iPhone doesn't have it either.
  9.    #9  
    It really seems like something easy to implement. Maybe some developer can start selling an alternative browser in the App Catalog that features this. I would pay even for this simple feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adidude View Post
    Also, I thought this was an HTML5 browser. Then why on HTML5 pages that use location services does my location not show up? I have tried with SF Muni. On iPhone and Android it gets my location, shows the closest stops and shows when the next bus is coming. It doesn't work on the pre3.
    But you have activated the location based services for websites? iirc this is disabled by default. Have a look into the location based services settings app.

I did get location on some websites, myself. I did not try sf muni, though.

For the browser issue: Maybe someone should again try to get firefox mobile or something like that onto our webOs phones. There was an early (buggy) firefox build some (long) time ago. I think the guy stopped development... I don't know if firefox mobile does text reflow, but all in all the browser seemed to be very potent.
    But I think to rely on a "new" browser is the best solution to this. Current "browsers" in the app cat only are wrappers arround the same components that the current browser uses with some added functionality.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    fixmyreflow.com! This is a joke.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    As of today, only Android phones have text reflow. They may have a patent on that functionalty. And don't expect much from WebOS. They're only going to support the TP until they a) shut it down b) sell it.
    The PDF reader on the HP iPaq had text reflow...

But really, "reflow" is not a good description of what is needed. HTML reflows by design, unless the page explicitly defines a greater width than fits. It's possible there is some patentable magic about knowing when to ignore what the page says. But mostly it's about deciding on the page width. WebOS phones tend to pick a wider page width than actually fits, because they are trying to show pages like a computer. If that could be changed, it would be a solution for many webpages.
    brum likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Well now that this will be open sourced, maybe a fix can be achieved.