Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vij
  1.    #1  
    I know I just bought a largely unsupported phone but I couldn't not. So before it gets here I have a few questions.

1) I have a Pre- on Bell currently CDMA so I know I need to buy a sim but I assume I can just attach it to my current contract. Tell me if I'm wrong.

2) I want the full paid canadian app catalog, I heard this was a problem on the pre2 on bell, is there a secret to it or will it work out of the box?

3) what else do I need to know? I plan on getting preware immediately but apart from that I don't know much about what to do?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    1. Buy a SIM at Future Shop or Wal-Mart. Alternatively you can buy one of the prepaid packages, take the SIM, and sell the phone. Call in to Bell CS and tell them you tried to look for the device change on eCare but can't find it, they'll help you out for free. Do NOT buy a SIM at a Bell corporate store, they will insist that they activate it for you and charge you for it, this is a STORE INCURRED FEE.

2. I have the CA catalogue on mine, out of the box, no issues.

3. The only real catch is if you go 2.x, you can't go back to 1.4.5 on your Pre Classic, so if you ever need to reactivate it, you need a brand new profile.
    I have a UK Pre 3. Worked easily for me. Went in to Bell store. They charged me $5 for the SIM. Everything OK so far.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    When I went from my Pre to a GSM Pre 2 I bought a sim card for 5 bucks on ebay. I activated it online and stuck it in my phone. App catalog works just fine.
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    So did you have issues getting your Pre 3 going on Bell? I'm on the fence right now...
    vince400 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    So did you have issues getting your Pre 3 going on Bell? I'm on the fence right now...
    I'm using one right now. Works even better than my Veer. Mobile Hotspot works!
    Does data tracking work now that many of you have switched from CDMA to GSM services? does anybody find that their usage has gone up at all since switching?
    Quote Originally Posted by nickolus442034 View Post
    Does data tracking work now that many of you have switched from CDMA to GSM services? does anybody find that their usage has gone up at all since switching?
    Yep, data tracking is accurate on mine since I moved to HSPA. Sad.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    thats unfortunate, especially since bell is really against unlimited data usage and charges you an arm and a leg for anything beyond checking facebook and email. ill be switching as soon as my pre 3 arrives...but i sure enjoyed my "unlimited" data plan.

its funny, some phones have been documented as capped data sessions still being used and others not in the bell hspa network, i guess this is one they do track unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickolus442034 View Post
    thats unfortunate, especially since bell is really against unlimited data usage and charges you an arm and a leg for anything beyond checking facebook and email. ill be switching as soon as my pre 3 arrives...but i sure enjoyed my "unlimited" data plan.

its funny, some phones have been documented as capped data sessions still being used and others not in the bell hspa network, i guess this is one they do track unfortunately.
    Is there a different APN for use on CDMA vs. HSPA? Matters not to me on TELUS, but would be interesting for you if you changed the APN on your Pre3 to the CDMA APN (if there were a difference). thinking out loud...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    I went into one of the Phone Booth stores in Canada. They suggested that Virgin was a better choice than Bell. They were just about to close so I didn't get to buy and activate a SIM from them but I know where I will be visiting tomorrow.

BTW - looking at the Virgin plans they have $70-$100 plans that provide 5+GB data but also includes other unlimited features. Sure beats my $250/mo plan on Telus.
    Yes, a list of APN's you can use on bell:
    inet.bell.ca (used as default for tethering)
    pda.bell.ca (the one that caps data sessions usually on CDMA, sometimes on HSPA)
    pda2.bell.ca (fixed version of the former)
    proxy.bell.ca (not sure of the purpose, but it works as well)

locked devices will have defaults for which they use for what, but using an unlocked device you can set it to use whatever you want of these. when people set it to pda.bell.ca there is reliability that it caps all sessions at a tiny amount leaving you with like half of a mb used after downloading a movie while tethering or something...yet nobody has claimed this for the other APN's yet. as soon as you switch to HSPA (sim cards), a lot of people claim that these caps no longer exist on the pda.bell.ca apn, yet others claim it is still capped for them. really weird and i REALLY want to know more as i have the best plan of anybody i know...and i doubt they would hook me up with data, and i would not want to risk losing my pre discount of 15 dollars because they would know it doesn't use a sim.
    Does anybody on Bell got the promotion back in summer 2010 that if you bought a Palm Pre you got 15$ off each month?
    Because I have that plan (cost me 35$/month) and I wonder if I change my phone that my plan will change, so I was wondering if anybody was able to keep it?

Last time I went to a Bell store the rep told me I can't if I buy an iPhone because it is a deal with Palm, but if I buy the HP Pre 3, is it considered as a Palm phone?
    My father has the same deal.

The fine print reads that as soon as your Palm Pre (not plus, not 2, not veer, not pixi, not Pre 3) is not activated on your account, you will lose the $15/month promotion.

Period.

You will also lose your "unlimited internet" (The Pre and Bell have a defect where they dont count your MB usage over data...so for example I would download about 27GB a month on my Pre [tethering] and my bill would say I used 4MB the whole month)
    Quote Originally Posted by vince400 View Post
    Does anybody on Bell got the promotion back in summer 2010 that if you bought a Palm Pre you got 15$ off each month?
    Because I have that plan (cost me 35$/month) and I wonder if I change my phone that my plan will change, so I was wondering if anybody was able to keep it?

Last time I went to a Bell store the rep told me I can't if I buy an iPhone because it is a deal with Palm, but if I buy the HP Pre 3, is it considered as a Palm phone?
    I have the $10 version that came before it, but the option code is the same (PREDIS_OP). I called in to switch over to a SIM card, checked with the guy and made sure my discount will not get removed, got his employee number and name.

Up till now I've switched onto a Veer and a Pre 3, still maintaining my discount.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I have the $10 version that came before it, but the option code is the same (PREDIS_OP). I called in to switch over to a SIM card, checked with the guy and made sure my discount will not get removed, got his employee number and name.

Up till now I've switched onto a Veer and a Pre 3, still maintaining my discount.
    you got lucky sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

The fine print reads that as soon as your Palm Pre (not plus, not 2, not veer, not pixi, not Pre 3) is not activated on your account, you will lose the $15/month promotion.

Period.

You will also lose your "unlimited internet" (The Pre and Bell have a defect where they dont count your MB usage over data...so for example I would download about 27GB a month on my Pre [tethering] and my bill would say I used 4MB the whole month)
    Yes, same thing happen to me. This was a really cool "defect"
    Sad to see that I won't keep my plan

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

Thanks! I still have hope
    I called two bell reps this week and they both told me differents story.
    I guess I will only know if I try