Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I am using and unlocked Pre 3 (UK) in Trinidad [Area Code (868)] with a SIM from Trinidad carrier bmobile. I can successfully make and receive calls, as well as use 2G data.

My App Catalog is set for US (Officially changed by Palm Support. Thank you very much).

My Regional Settings are set on "US, Canada, Caribbean (+1)".

I have setup my Skype account for international dialing.

I have set dialing for both international and domestic calls to "Always Ask".

"Device Info" does not show my telephone number.

With my Trinidad SIM, when dialing local Trinidad telephone numbers [Area Code (868)], the Pre3 erroneously indicates this as an international call (and asks me to select between carrier or Skype). When dialing US telephone numbers [specifically Area Code (954)], the Pre3 erroneously indicates this as a domestic call (and asks me to select between carrier and Skype).

According to page 72 of the User Manual, if I enable the "International Dialing Auto-Prefix feature" I should get a country list to indicate my current location. I do not get that list to show up even if I type "United States", "United Kingdom" or "Trinidad and Tobago" etc.

How can I get the Pre3 to correctly identify between domestic and international calls?

I suspect that this is due to my SIM not containing my local telephone number. I will be going to my carrier to see if they can include it.

What do you think?

Any other ideas?

For persons using UK Pre3s in foreign markets, what is your experience? Does your SIM include/exclude your telephone number?

Thank you,
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I'll go through your questions one by one.

For persons using UK Pre3s in foreign markets, what is your experience? Does your SIM include/exclude your telephone number?
    I am using a UK Pre3 in India. My SIM does include my telephone number and it shows up in Device Info. In Regional settings, I have set the country as 'Other', as India isn't listed as an option.

Experience: As long as I include my country code (+91) while dialing a domestic number, it is identified correctly as a domestic number. If I either exclude the + or the +91 code altogether, it is treated as an international number.

However, this isn't an issue for me, as I have most numbers in my contact list, in the correct format (with +91). In the rare case, where I have to dial the number, I make sure to include the +91 prefix.

I guess the issue in your case is different. Here come's the interesting part:

How can I get the Pre3 to correctly identify between domestic and international calls?

I suspect that this is due to my SIM not containing my local telephone number. I will be going to my carrier to see if they can include it.
    I had a look at the phone application's code and it does seem that your phone not being able to get your subscriber number from your SIM/network, seems to be the issue.

The checks are like this:

1. Parse the phone number that you dial and detect the region to which the number belongs. Let's call this region1 -> This should be fine in either of your cases. Both 868 and 954 would be guessed as belonging to the US region.
    2. Query your carrier network, get a number unique to your carrier and deduce the region from it. Let's call this region2 -> This is where it should be failing. Either the phone is unable to get the unique number or gets a number which is not recognized.
    3. Compare region1 & region2. If they are not the same (which would be your case) and if region1 is US and if the areacode is in Carribean, Canada, etc, it is treated as international number.

I will be going to my carrier to see if they can include it
    This should be your best bet. Good luck

If you are still stuck, let me know. I can try and put together a patch specific to your scenario.

P.S: Am not sure if you are a West Indian, but I decided to spend some time on this question, primarily because you were from T&T. A big fan of WestIndian cricket.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Hi Sara,

First of all, thank you so very much for taking the time and effort to research and respond to my query with so much detail. I truly appreciate it.

Also, I apologize for not responding earlier: It's been 3 days with no sleep in order to finish a client's project prior to my travelling to Miami yesterday (Friday).

Please note my remarks embedded below:

Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    I'll go through your questions one by one.

I am using a UK Pre3 in India. My SIM does include my telephone number and it shows up in Device Info. In Regional settings, I have set the country as 'Other', as India isn't listed as an option.

Experience: As long as I include my country code (+91) while dialing a domestic number, it is identified correctly as a domestic number. If I either exclude the + or the +91 code altogether, it is treated as an international number.

However, this isn't an issue for me, as I have most numbers in my contact list, in the correct format (with +91). In the rare case, where I have to dial the number, I make sure to include the +91 prefix.

I guess the issue in your case is different.
    All of my stored numbers include the international access dialing code plus the country code e.g. "+1" plus "(868)" 123-4567. This has not been an issue previously (with other phones) as dialing local numbers with the international access code makes no difference (at least on my network). However, in general, I guess they should not include the international access code, especially as the Pre3 will supposedly insert the correct code (once my issue is sorted). I will have to write a macro or find some way to export to Excel, modify and re-import my contacts into my Exchange account. What do you think?

Here come's the interesting part:

I had a look at the phone application's code and it does seem that your phone not being able to get your subscriber number from your SIM/network, seems to be the issue.

The checks are like this:

1. Parse the phone number that you dial and detect the region to which the number belongs. Let's call this region1 -> This should be fine in either of your cases. Both 868 and 954 would be guessed as belonging to the US region.

2. Query your carrier network, get a number unique to your carrier and deduce the region from it. Let's call this region2 -> This is where it should be failing. Either the phone is unable to get the unique number or gets a number which is not recognized.

3. Compare region1 & region2. If they are not the same (which would be your case) and if region1 is US and if the areacode is in Carribean, Canada, etc, it is treated as international number.

This should be your best bet. Good luck

If you are still stuck, let me know. I can try and put together a patch specific to your scenario.
    This makes sense to me. Thank you so much for researching and publishing this. Although I am a Control Systems engineer with some coding experience, this is my first webOS device and have not as yet even enabled "Developer Mode"

Well, I did take an hour to visit my carrier, bmobile, but unfortunately received the level of support that I expected:

First level support could not even reset my voicemail passcode (separate issue). This was the sign of things to come...

Second level support did reset my voicemail successfully. However, indicated that he had never heard of a GSM carrier including the telephone numbers on the SIM! Although I knew it was futile, I informed him that this was indeed the case for some but not all carriers and that my various SIMs did include them. When I popped in my AT&T SIM and the number showed up under Device Info (especially without roaming), then he began to believe. He then indicated that they did not even have a SIM analyzer at Customer Service let alone a configuration device. He said that their IT department would probably be my best chance but that they do not entertain customers' support requests. He said there was no way he could formally escalate my request. [This is why we in T&T remain third World...].

Anyway, like anything else, you've got to know someone to get anything useful done: I called a (non-technical) friend who once worked for bmoble and asked him to help. He passed on my request to one of his former colleagues within the IT department. It's a long shot and although almost certainly futile, is worth the effort. I will follow-up when I return to Trinidad next weekend.

If unsuccessful, I would truly appreciate any assistance you can offer with a patch. That would just be fantastic! Otherwise I will just enable carrier-dialing for all calls and jump through a few hoop when I want to use the integrated Skype.

P.S: Am not sure if you are a West Indian, but I decided to spend some time on this question, primarily because you were from T&T. A big fan of WestIndian cricket.
    I am a Trini! I guess that makes me lucky in this regard I actually went to school with Brian Lara. We're not friends but certainly acquaintances that will stop and greet.

Anyway, in all honesty, WI cricket has broken my heart too many times... I now consider them something like an abusive spouse: love them but know the relationship is poisonous . But as the typical victim, I do find myself still holding on to hope...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Apologies from me too. Been a busy week @ work and with the other patches that I have been working on.

So did you get it resolved with your carrier? Let me know if I can be of any help.

Good customer care is still a dream, here as well.

Glad that I have somebody to visit (hope you wouldn't mind), if I ever make a trip to the Carribean. That is on my bucket list (no am not that old, but still, one of the things that I want to do)

As for WI cricket, you wouldn't believe that I love them more than my home country. Its WI first for me then India. People call me traitor, but I don't mind at all. Of course, you end up with broken hearts, many a times, but can't stop loving their flair, flamboyance, camaraderie, what not. It feels as if there's some blood connection Hoping that life comes a full circle one day and I see them back on top
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Hi Sara,

I'm back from Miami...

My UK Pre3 worked fine with my AT&T SIM: The SIM includes the cellular number and is displayed within Device Info. US calls were properly identified as domestic and calls to Trinidad were properly identified as international. International Skype calls over WiFi worked but the audio quality was horrible. (Unfortunately I had no joy with AT&T's 1900MHz 3G network in that area as although it was identified (on my Pre3) in some areas, my experience with the actual network speed did not seem to get any better than that EDGE).

Anyway, I have had no luck with my friend's colleague at my local carrier (bmobile) here in Trinidad. I have checked another bmobile SIM and it also did not include the cellular number. In the interim I have just set all calls to use the cellular network. If you have the time I would appreciate your assistance with a patch (and corresponding education) but it certainly is not a priority.

PS
    Sure thing: once you're not an axe murderer then just let me know when you're visiting and I can help you plan...

I understand about the "bucket list": I believe in experiencing life, being adventurous but not reckless... I'm a scuba-diver, I have sky-dived, am a student pilot etc... go for it!

As you know, Trinidad is largely populated by the descendants of African slaves (~45%) and those of Indian indentured labourers (~45%) with the remaining being descendants of various other ethnicities and/or mixed (like me). It is not uncommon that many locals of Indian heritage also love or even support "India" before the "WI" when it comes to cricket. I guess it creates a tangible connection to their heritage. So your passion is understandable albeit foor different reasons...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi all, just wondering if this issue has been resolved or not?
    I'm having the same problem, too.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Hi gztanwei,

Sorry for the late response. I did not realize that I had my notifications off for subscribed threads.

No, the issue still exists but I have definitely determined that my carrier in Trinidad (bmobile) does not configure its SIMs with their assigned telephone numbers. Instead the exchange translates the SIM's serial numbers to your account. Of course, when I'm on AT&T, the issue does not exist as the SIM is configured with its number.

I think one solution would be a patch to write the telephone number at the appropriate place. I suspect the Caller ID would not be affected as I expect that this is done by the carrier. Sara, anyone?

Thanks,
    Keith
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    Hi gztanwei,

Sorry for the late response. I did not realize that I had my notifications off for subscribed threads.

No, the issue still exists but I have definitely determined that my carrier in Trinidad (bmobile) does not configure its SIMs with their assigned telephone numbers. Instead the exchange translates the SIM's serial numbers to your account. Of course, when I'm on AT&T, the issue does not exist as the SIM is configured with its number.

I think one solution would be a patch to write the telephone number at the appropriate place. I suspect the Caller ID would not be affected as I expect that this is done by the carrier. Sara, anyone?

Thanks,
    Keith

I'm in Canada using Fido. I have the same problem too. the phone number does display in Device Info.

But this problem is not discussed widely somehow. are there not many people experience this problem? I would imagine ppl outside of US and UK all have this problem.
    Why ?

This issue is caused by some providers, and is not related to a geographic location. I'm in Italy and have vodafone... and I don't have any issue.

Thing is, I think that the normal way the sim should be handled is the one that the phone expects, and coincidentally is the one that I suspect all the main providers use.

So either there's a standard, and some small companies are not following it... or there's no official standard, but de facto all the leading main companies are using the same ...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Pulling a Lazarus on this one to share some additional info:

I used the Android XPOSED SIM Number Changer module on my Galaxy Nexus to write my 10-digit telephone number to my SIM. I then inserted my SIM into my Pre3 and tested:

Sure enough, the Pre3 read the number off of the SIM. However, as per Sara's analysis, this did not solve the misidentification between domestic and international calls.

Yes, my Pre3 is almost extinct but it is still may favoured device (OS, form factor). If PIC ever gets ACL running on my Pre3 as per their extended (Kickstarter campaign) goal, then we can get more (Android) apps on it and it will return to my only daily device...