1. GMU
    Hi,
    I have installes the last available version of Navit on my Pre3. And I even got some maps downloaded. Navit starts up and it even shows the location. But as soon as you use the menu it crashes all the time.

I tried everything but I can't make it work at all.

I installed Navit as well on my Touchpad. There it works somehow better. But it crashes very ofter as well. In addition, if you search for streets, most of the street it doesn't find.

Did somebody get it running and stable on the Pre3? So please help me out. Which version are you using and what else has to be done?

Thanks
    GMU
    I've got navit working on a UK pre3. Latest version, yes it can crash sometimes as you browse the menus, but I've not had the kind of problems you describe.

It seems to work fine for me, having forgotten my tomtom, it worked fine this weekend on a long drive (holiday! woo!). I particularly like the 'robot northerner' voice.

The only thing I couldn't get to work was postcode location finding, so setting it up was a real pain.

My view was - its kinda cool, its pretty useful, but I'd only use it as a backup.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. Perhaps close some more cards? I only had maps open.
    I particularly like the 'robot northerner' voice.
    Lol, I always thought it sounded like a robot Paul O'Grady.
  4. GMU
    Yes, it seems that Navit generates a card problem.
    At least my touchpad came up with the too many cards error, even if there are only 2 cards open. Therefore I uninstalled Navit today from my Touchpad.
    Seems like it's not just Navit, I'm seeing the exact same issue with Visual Boy Advance and SDLTerminal. Both either won't start at all or throw me a TMC.
    Where do I get the voices?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    I have had navit and maps on my pre3 and it hung trying to dld maps ...now, it doesn't show a maps list at all (completely blank) ...installed and works fine on the my Veer (both GSM) ...I ran Emergency Reconstruction Utility because during this folderol to get the thing on there with many reboots/uninstalls/reinstalls the apps and patches vanished from webosqi and preware ...the reconstruction worked fine but the navitmaps are still nowhere to be found ...what to do?
    I had Navit on my Pre Plus a while back and it took forever to install and update, then it only worked for a short time and after many reinstalls I finally threw in the towel....
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    I have had navit and maps on my pre3 and it hung trying to dld maps ...now, it doesn't show a maps list at all (completely blank) ...installed and works fine on the my Veer (both GSM) ...I ran Emergency Reconstruction Utility because during this folderol to get the thing on there with many reboots/uninstalls/reinstalls the apps and patches vanished from webosqi and preware ...the reconstruction worked fine but the navitmaps are still nowhere to be found ...what to do?
    Currently the Navit map server is not available for some reason. They expect to fix it in a few days. See the Precentral Navit app forum for the latest.
    I find NavIT works pretty good on my Pre3. Yes, it does crash at times when accessing the UI, but it starts right back up no problem. I personally don't have much need for a nav system per se, but I will be traveling next summer through areas where I won't have any mobile data coverage, so it will be handy to have an on-device map that doesn't depend on a data connection. It works pretty well as a normal map if you turn off 'map follows car' and '3d' and then turn on 'northing'.
    can I download the NAVIT MAPS manually to my computer and copy them into the Pre3 somewhere? If so, where do I download them, what are the filenames, and to exactly what Pre3 directory do I put them?

Are the maps the same files for the VEER and the PRE3 ? If so, where (the path to) are the maps, what are the filenames, and where do I copy them in the Pre3, same path?

...tia!!

ok... after extreme googling I found the maps at

Navit :: Planet Extractor

...youcan resize them to save space on the fone and copy them (renamed to a convenient moniker) into the maps folder in the navit program ...a reboot and baddabing-baddaboom it works !!!

wiki here:

Navit - Offline Map application for Touchpad works but it's buggy - Tutorial

can I download the NAVIT MAPS manually to my computer and copy them into the Pre3 somewhere? If so, where do I download them, what are the filenames, and to exactly what Pre3 directory do I put them?

Are the maps the same files for the VEER and the PRE3 ? If so, where (the path to) are the maps, what are the filenames, and where do I copy them in the Pre3, same path?

...tia!!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    NAVIT has its own forum and subforum on Precentral at PreCentral Forums > webOS apps and software > webOS developer forums > Navit. There is also a Wiki at webosinternals.
    Application:Navit - WebOS Internals. These should be more informative than 3rd party interpretations.
    If you think there is information missing that's useful, after reading it, add it.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    The file location would be helpful. Downloading the 2Gb map file failed, I have it on the PC if I knew where to put it.
    I have a Pre3 on Verizon using the latest version of Navit. I discovered mine started crashing after I had downloaded multiple maps. To prevent the crash I have to launch the app and quickly go into the menu to uncheck all non-applicable maps before it crashes. If I get there in time and only leave the currently used map checked, it will run just fine. I discovered a more permanent workaround by editing the mapdata.xml file. if I remove all lines of code referring to maps not currently needed it also works without crashing. I renamed the mapdata file and left it on the device as a backup and started removing the unused maps - voila! Details on editing the file are available in the Navit Wiki. Hope this helps until a proper fix is available. On another note, I enjoy the "robot voice" but find the constant "turn easily onto" instructions for every little curve in the road annoying.

Update: I used Navit Maps application to download the entire US (2.6GB) so that I have only one map file. Navit now seems to run better and there is no need to modify the xml file to switch maps.
    Last edited by cdmageek; 12/26/2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: update