Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For weeks I have been following posts in the Pre3 forum, and have really enjoyed reading all the solutions members post for other members. That is why I love the Palm community(regardless of whose name is on the books).
    So now my question- I just received my ATT Pre 3 on Friday(paid 345.00-eBay). I had thought from the posts I had read that I could purchase an ATT Go phone SIM(with unlimited talk,text,data) and pop it into my Pre3 and be good to go. I purchased said plan and stuck the sim in, but only get talk & text. Is there any way to get this Pre 3 to full functionality with the Go Phone plan I currently have? I have been on Sprint for years, and want to test this unit out before I port my numbers over.
    Second question- whether or not go phone will work, what else should I do to this stock Pre3 to get the best performance out of it? I have read many different versions of tweaks, but have lost count on what would really be best at this point.
    I am so excited to run with this Pre3 but as of now, it has a phone number, and I can make calls- thats all. FYI- I skipped the profile login due to not having data, and it's still in developer mode. Thata as far as I've gotten. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
    The ONLY suggestions I have for you for tweaking for performance are to get QuickInstall and install Preware, and then install Govnah and the pleaceholder app for Uberkernal (its still in beta, and the placeholder will let you know when its ready for prime time).

Once you get Govnah, you can adjust the min cpu speed to something higher, so that you dont experience that beginning lag when you first pick it up, or turn the screen on, etc..

Other than that, take patches slow; its a new device and the homebrew community needs time to really get to know it to know how to improve/offer customzations for it.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by needmoretime View Post
    For weeks I have been following posts in the Pre3 forum, and have really enjoyed reading all the solutions members post for other members. That is why I love the Palm community(regardless of whose name is on the books).
    So now my question- I just received my ATT Pre 3 on Friday(paid 345.00-eBay). I had thought from the posts I had read that I could purchase an ATT Go phone SIM(with unlimited talk,text,data) and pop it into my Pre3 and be good to go. I purchased said plan and stuck the sim in, but only get talk & text. Is there any way to get this Pre 3 to full functionality with the Go Phone plan I currently have? I have been on Sprint for years, and want to test this unit out before I port my numbers over.
    Second question- whether or not go phone will work, what else should I do to this stock Pre3 to get the best performance out of it? I have read many different versions of tweaks, but have lost count on what would really be best at this point.
    I am so excited to run with this Pre3 but as of now, it has a phone number, and I can make calls- thats all. FYI- I skipped the profile login due to not having data, and it's still in developer mode. Thata as far as I've gotten. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
    Since you have a "smartphone", you will need to purchase a data plan...

Data Feature Packages
    Access the Web, email, social networks, and more! Add to your GoPhone 10/Minute Plan, $25 Monthly Plan, or $2/Daily Unlimited Plan. Smartphone users must purchase a data package with any plan to use data services on their device.

$5 for 10 MB
    $15 for 100 MB
    $25 for 500 MB
    And then after you purchase the plan you have to go onto their website and activate it. I found the site confusing and I just went into the art store and told them to figure it out for me.
    From other threads I've read about using Go Phone with the Pre3, I think it currently comes down to this:

- If you have an AT&T Pre3, unlocked or not, AT&T's system knows it's a smartphone, and will give you NO data at all unless you get a data plan.

- If you have an non-AT&T Pre3, AT&T's system doesn't know that it's a smartphone, and treats it like a 'feature phone' so you get data service without a data plan.

There were some reports early on that indicated the AT&T Pre3 would get data on GoPhone w/o the extra data plan, but more recent posts clearly indicate this is no longer the case. AT&T may eventually catch on to the UK/euro-spec Pre3's getting 'free' data, or they may not.

By the way, I find AT&T's GoPhone data plans to be really over-priced for what you get. I think they're basically saying 'we really don't want you using a smartphone at all on a pre-paid plan, but if you really must, here's some ridiculous pricing'. If the 500mb option didn't expire after 30 days, it wouldn't be so bad - moderate data users could get 500mb, use it for 2 or 3 months then renew.
    I bought the $25 gophone and use my sprint wifi for my tpad and pre3 for now.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Maybe you need to change the APN to GoPhone's?

Try:

Name: ATT
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: none
    Port: none
    Username and password are blank
    Server: none
    Mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    Mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Mms port: 80
    Mcc: 310
    Mnc: 410
    Authentication type: none
    APN type: default
    Also remember that you will not have to sign a contract for a regular postpaid account because you are supplying the phone.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you for all the responses. Now that it seems as though I cannot use the unlimited Go phone account with ATT(without buying data addon), I am stuck with the decision to pay for a postpaid account. To all you ATT customers, will you please let me know why you are still a customer? Do you get work discounts, or are you an iPhone user, or a creature of habit? Each time I walk in to am ATT store, I am puzzled as to why more people aren't Sprint customers. I was fully prepared to walk up to the counter and sign up my Pre3 for a postpaid account with 450 minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB data, but got dizzy when they started talking cost. 39.99 for talk, 20.00 for text, and 25.00 for 2GB data- a total of 84.99 before taxes and fees- approx. Total each month- 95.00!!!!!!! This is their CHEAPEST plan for my Pre3. What am I missing here? I am currently paying 79.99 for unlimited everything with Sprint on my Pre, and have been very satisfied with it. I haven't looked at a phone bill in detail in years, as I never worry about going over. So again, why does ATT have so many customers? And what am to do with my Pre3 now? Again- any thoughts, or suggestions that I haven't thought of are appreciated.
    Thank you for all the responses. Now that it seems as though I cannot use the unlimited Go phone account with ATT(without buying data addon), I am stuck with the decision to pay for a postpaid account. To all you ATT customers, will you please let me know why you are still a customer? Do you get work discounts, or are you an iPhone user, or a creature of habit? Each time I walk in to am ATT store, I am puzzled as to why more people aren't Sprint customers. I was fully prepared to walk up to the counter and sign up my Pre3 for a postpaid account with 450 minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB data, but got dizzy when they started talking cost. 39.99 for talk, 20.00 for text, and 25.00 for 2GB data- a total of 84.99 before taxes and fees- approx. Total each month- 95.00!!!!!!! This is their CHEAPEST plan for my Pre3. What am I missing here? I am currently paying 79.99 for unlimited everything with Sprint on my Pre, and have been very satisfied with it. I haven't looked at a phone bill in detail in years, as I never worry about going over. So again, why does ATT have so many customers? And what am to do with my Pre3 now? Again- any thoughts, or suggestions that I haven't thought of are appreciated.
    Well, I have old service plans that are grandfathered in. I have voice, sms, and unlimited data for $65. Yes, the voice plan is only 250 minutes and the sms is only 200 messages, but I don't use those that much. Also I travel, and a gsm based phone is basically required. Besides swapping sim cards when you switch phones is a heck of a lot easy than calling in to sprint during business hours to activate the new phone.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoretime View Post
    ....I was fully prepared to walk up to the counter and sign up my Pre3 for a postpaid account with 450 minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB data, but got dizzy when they started talking cost. 39.99 for talk, 20.00 for text, and 25.00 for 2GB data- a total of 84.99 before taxes and fees- approx. Total each month- 95.00!!!!!!!
    WOW. That's what I paid Verizon for my Pre+ AND my wife's samsung feature phone. admittedly I skimped on the data plan on the Pre+ ($15 for 150MB), and only had texts on my wife's line ($5 for 250 texts), but still, that seems really high.

And what am to do with my Pre3 now? Again- any thoughts, or suggestions that I haven't thought of are appreciated.
    I went with T-Mobile. $30 per month. 1500 minutes or texts, effectively unlimited 2G data. I say 'effectively unlimited' because the plan specifies 30MB of 4G data, but the Pre3 only does 2G EDGE data on T-Mobile (around 400kbps... not fast, but not horribly slow for most purposes); the fine print on the plan says once you hit your data cap for the month they throttle you to 2G for the remainder of the month, but they don't cut you off. I am not a heavy mobile data user (just e-mail, light browsing, some maps, and the occasional wifi tether for my touchpad), so the 2G speeds are ok for me.
    T-Mobile also has a $50 plan that's unlimited across the board, but of course the Pre3 remains limited to 2G on T-Mobile - it just doesn't have the right radio. That could change if AT&T does manage to take over T-Mobile, presumably they'd enable roaming onto their network, but the prices would probably go up too.

If you really do need 3g/4g data, then AT&T is your only choice.

edit: it's possible I've misunderstood t-mobile's terms on the data plan. the 30mb limit may actually be a hard cap, with no data at all for the rest of the month. I've not reached it yet, but I'll report back when I do.

UPDATE: I'M SORRY TO ANYONE I STEERED WRONG. The T-Mobile $30 plan DOES have a hard cap at 30MB. See my post further down.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 10/03/2011 at 08:15 PM.
    I don't send or receive many texts, so my bill is a little over $65 +tax, a little less than I was paying on Sprint before the $10 increase. At Sprint, I was paying for unlimited data and texts that I didn't really use.
    Ok, I found out I was wrong about T-Mobile's $30 plan. They don't have the complete fine print on their website. If you look at the page here: Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile, you'll see the fine print below that says:
    Data: Full speeds available on capable devices up to monthly data allotment. After data allotment used, speeds slowed to up to 2G speeds for remainder of billing cycle.
    I took this to mean that the 30MB plan meant 30MB of 4G, then 2G after that. However it turns out that particular bit of fine print actually applies to the "Unlimited" plans - one has 100MB of 4G, then 2G after that, the other has 5GB of 4G, then 2G after that. There's nothing making it clear that the 30MB plan is literally capped at 30MB, other than the fact that it says 30MB rather than "Unlimited". I was probably guilty of reading it for what I wanted to be true, yet the fine print text I quoted seems pretty cut and dried - 30MB is the data allotment for that plan, so it seemed clear that 2G data was unlimited after that.

The paper brochure I picked up at t-mobile but failed to read completely (mostly it just mirrors what the web site says), says this:
    Speeds slowed after 100MB on $50 Unlimited Talk, Text & Web Plan; on $30 1500 Talk & Text plan data usage is capped at 30MB
    if the website fine print had simply said that it would have save me a lot of trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Ok, I found out I was wrong about T-Mobile's $30 plan. They don't have the complete fine print on their website. If you look at the page here: Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile, you'll see the fine print below that says: I took this to mean that the 30MB plan meant 30MB of 4G, then 2G after that. However it turns out that particular bit of fine print actually applies to the "Unlimited" plans - one has 100MB of 4G, then 2G after that, the other has 5GB of 4G, then 2G after that. There's nothing making it clear that the 30MB plan is literally capped at 30MB, other than the fact that it says 30MB rather than "Unlimited". I was probably guilty of reading it for what I wanted to be true, yet the fine print text I quoted seems pretty cut and dried - 30MB is the data allotment for that plan, so it seemed clear that 2G data was unlimited after that.

The paper brochure I picked up at t-mobile but failed to read completely (mostly it just mirrors what the web site says), says this:

if the website fine print had simply said that it would have save me a lot of trouble.
    Simple Mobile an MVNO for tmobile offers Unlimited text/call and 3G data for $40.

SIMPLE Mobile | Unlimited Talk, Text & Web
    for at&t pre 3 users why not get the pre 3 unlocked get a straight talk nokia e71&sim activate the plan on the e71 then take the sim and put it in the pre 3 and change the apn's and bam $45 a month for unlimited talk text and faux 4g. thats what i plan on doing when my pre gets here this week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0t03speed View Post
    for at&t pre 3 users why not get the pre 3 unlocked get a straight talk nokia e71&sim activate the plan on the e71 then take the sim and put it in the pre 3 and change the apn's and bam $45 a month for unlimited talk text and faux 4g. thats what i plan on doing when my pre gets here this week
    I know AT&T sometimes force plan changes on people if they see a "smartphone" IMEI connected.

Not sure what they would do with the Pre 3 though since they never officially launched it.
    Straight talk isn't at&t it just uses their network. The same way simple mobile uses T-Mobiles network

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Latest News | T-Mobile | Walmart and T-Mobile Introduce Exclusive No-Annual Contract 4G Offering

$ 30 for 100 min/ unlimited text/data starting October 16 2011 from Walmart
    For $60 a month you get unlimited talk, text, and data service on a AT&T MNVO, H2O Wireless. To me, its worth it.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Simple Mobile an MVNO for tmobile offers Unlimited text/call and 3G data for $40.

SIMPLE Mobile | Unlimited Talk, Text & Web
    If anyone is actually using any of these options with the Pre3 please let me know. That would make me very happy. I'm also open to any way to trick the network into letting me get data services with my go phone account, if necessary. I find it interesting that ATT didn't release the Pre3 but has put it in their system to avoid people using it with GoPhone plans effectively.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast