Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Liski View Post
    Fatfool - I remember reading on Whirlpool that Impostah was causing a problem about a field.
    That is not the case.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Once I get unlocked and insert my Telstra SIM, I am able to setup the data profile so that 3G data will work so that I'm able to create a profile and activate?!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Liski View Post
    Once I get unlocked and insert my Telstra SIM, I am able to setup the data profile so that 3G data will work so that I'm able to create a profile and activate?!
    or you could get past the profile screen by using developer mode and then activate by impostah.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've got a TouchPad on Australian App Cat. From reading this thread I feel that, if I use Impostah to activate my Pre3 on the US App Cat:
    - it will give me access to both Catalogues
    - on both devices
    - with the same profile?

Is this the case - has anyone done it?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    I've got a TouchPad on Australian App Cat. From reading this thread I feel that, if I use Impostah to activate my Pre3 on the US App Cat:
    - it will give me access to both Catalogues
    - on both devices
    - with the same profile?

Is this the case - has anyone done it?
    No.

If you use a profile from a TouchPad on a phone, the phone changes to be the same as the touchpad.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No.

If you use a profile from a TouchPad on a phone, the phone changes to be the same as the touchpad.

-- Rod
    I guess this is what I needed: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...-impostah.html

Rod, your awesomeness makes me what to cry.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Except it doesn't look like Impostah includes Australia in supported countries, is that the case?

Or because my TouchPad is on Aussie Cat, I will be able to access it with my Pre3?
    Except it doesn't look like Impostah includes Australia in supported countries, is that the case?

Or because my TouchPad is on Aussie Cat, I will be able to access it with my Pre3?
    Impostah 0.9.13 should have Australia.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Okie, I'll be campin'. By the way do your contacts not match your SMSes/calls because of the +61 country code?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I have that problem. Doubled up the contact numbers, but I have installed the patch "Fix AU Dial Plan" recently in the hope that it will fix that.
    I tried that patch and doubling numbers as well. Doesn't fix it Apparently that patch is to fix a problem with 1300 and 1800 numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    I tried that patch and doubling numbers as well. Doesn't fix it Apparently that patch is to fix a problem with 1300 and 1800 numbers.
    Yes. You are correct.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    On my Veer I have all my numbers stored with +61 at the start and don't have any issue with the numbers not being recognised for incoming calls or sms. My wifes Veer did have that issue when the region was set incorrectly, setting it to Australia fixed it up.
    Ben
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    What happened to fix AU Dial Plan? I removed it and can't get it back
    What happened to fix AU Dial Plan? I removed it and can't get it back
    Yes it would be great if we could find a way around this

On another subject, whilst trying to get my tethering working, I was looking around at Telstra specific apn settings, and found the following.

It seems the best settings for the Pre3 in http://configure.telstra.com.au/ are the ones for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model GT-I9100 in the drop down list. Telstra configure their back end based on what you enter here.

Also the following post on whirlpool, hope it helps someone.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...441187&p=3#r50

Its more directed at android phones, but still useful info.

These are the correct settings direct from the enginneers who build the network:

• Name: Telstra Internet
    • APN: telstra.iph
    • Proxy: (blank)
    • Port: (blank)
    • MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    • MCC: 505
    • MNC: 01
    • Authentication: CHAP
    • APN type: default,supl

• Name: Telstra MMS
    • APN: telstra.mms
    • MMSC: http://mmsc.telstra.com:8002
    • MMS proxy: 10.1.1.180
    • MMS port: 80
    • MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    • MCC: 505
    • MNC: 01
    • Authentication: CHAP
    • APN type: mms

Also blurb again hopefully with less typo’s. As above the network should already set up for telstra.iph for all customers now.

Hopefully below is useful and explains why Telstra’s APNs are strange. Our strangeness gives some advantages.

For Android phones if an application needs to talk to the network it talks to Android ConnectivityManager on the phone, When the application calls the connectivity manager it requests the type of network it needs to talk to.

For Android these are:
    1. Dial Up Network (TYPE_MOBILE_DUN)

This is really old but might be used for some very old networks. Networking Bridge so that the carrier is aware of DUN traffic. It may coexist with default data connections.

Not used anymore. Pretty sure the HTC desire does not support.

2. WiMAX data connection TYPE_WIMAX

The Default Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access data connection.

Pretty sure the HTC desire does not support.

3. High Priority Mobile data {TYPE_MOBILE_HIPRI}

A High Priority Mobile data connection. This connection is typically the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but the routing setup is different. Only requesting processes will have access to the Mobile DNS servers and only IP’s explicitly requested via {@link #requestRouteToHost} will route over this interface if a default route exists.

Something you don’t need to think about

4. WIFI data connection. (TYPE_WIFI)

When active, all data traffic will use this connection by default.

Used to connect to your home wireless router.

Below are the APN TYPES that you set in the APN config on your phone.

1. Default (TYPE_MOBILE)

The Default Mobile data connection. When active, all data traffic will use this connection by default. Should not coexist with other default connections.

2. mms (TYPE_MOBILE_MMS)

An MMS-specific Mobile data connection. This connection may be the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but it may be different dependant on the network. This is used by applications needing to talk to the carrier’s Multimedia Messaging Service servers.

3. supl (TYPE_MOBILE_SUPL);

A Secure User Plane Location specific Mobile data connection. This connection may be the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but it may be different. This is used by applications needing to talk to the carrier’s Secure User Plane Location servers for help locating the device

How does the config on the phone get chosen?

When an application wishes to talk to the “network” it sets the APN type when it requests ConnectivityManager. ConnectivityManager then checks if you have an “APN type” set that matches. So for instance if the “APN type” it checks is MMS it will scan you configuration setting for a match and use say testra.mms APN. It will then use this configuration for the network connection. What you use for the APN name does not matter.

So now the connected to the network with say telstra.mms which is the APN that you configured.

What’s the APN for in Telstra?

Telstra APNs are:

• telstra.wap. (Wireless Application Protocol)

A WAP browser is a commonly used web browser for small mobile devices such as cell phones. This is for older phones, don’t use on your fancy HTC desire.
    It render screens for old Nokia phones etc. So if you surf the web on the old phone Telstra will attempt to display the pages as best we can on the device you are using. It provides access to the internet but is routed through the Telstra proxy and TSDP. This also authenticates you so we can give you access to any “stuff” you may have purchased off us. This means that using this APN in combination with the Telstra proxy allows a customer to access and purchase BigPond content.

• telstra.iph ( iphone, well they were first )

Has the same functionality as telstra.wap but for iPhone / Android users. It will give you access to Telstra content like Foxtel as in authenticates you. It will display web pages cleanly.

• telstra.blackberry

Has the same functionality as telstra.wap but for BlackBerry.

• telstra.mms

This network connects to our Multimedia Messaging Service servers.

• telstra.internet

This network does not do through of any of our very expensive kit to provide you with the best render pages we can give you. It also does not allow you to use and of our content such as foxtel. It meant to be a dump pipe for the wireless USB modems.

So what I would recommend you use for a HTC desire is:
    For APN TYPE = mms, Use telstra.mms
    For APN TYPE = default ,supl, use telstra.iph

Why does telstra.iph cause some people problems.
    Short answer is if you just “pop” a SIM is new fancy HTC desire we don’t know you have switched phones. And the network is still set up as if you had your trusty old Nokia. So we have not set up access to telstra.iph and the data does not work. Also if the know the phone and the screen size we can attempt to make the info on the screen look pretty. I have been told that now all phones should have access to telstra.iph. I will report back if there are any issues.

So you need to tell us what phone you are using. This is done by using the following URL:

Mobile Phone Set-up - Telstra

It will send you a PIN to ensure you are not playing a joke on your mate and changing the network setting. Once you enter the Pin this could take a couple of hours to get activated. You also might need to power off your phone. If this does not work then contact FOH to get it added.

For those that are interested in the more techo side of life read on. For everyone else just click on the link above and life will hopefully be good.

When you turn your phone on you could be in Aust or overseas.
    The phone listen for the mobiles networks and send some info to try to connect.
    If we have a roaming agreement or it our super speedy network you get connected.
    The first thing that happens is the gateway pulls your entire configuration from our Home location network.

This customer info contains what APNs you are allowed to connect to. So all being well these will be telstra.mms and telstra.iph.

So if your phone sends any other apns that are not set up in the network it will fail.

So to make this easy let say you are in Bali.

You open your browser and it connects to a gateway at Bali. It receives APN telstra.iph. As we have an agreement with overseas they look at the Telstra part of the APN and send the connect message to our serving network. Once we get the connect message we look at the iph part and send it to some of our very flash equipment to give you the best experience. So if you used telstra.internet most things would be ok however we cannot authenticate you and therefore you can’t use Foxtel and other “stuff”

The same is exactly the same if you turn on your home in Aust. The local gateway will see telstra.iph and route the call to the same place.

Now for telstra.mms you just don’t wish to connect to a network, you need to connect to an actual box that does the MMS. This is why you need the extra info MMSC / MMS Proxy set.

The APN type is not really related to network perfomrance it used by the Android OS to find what network settings to use.

So think of it this way. The first “APN type” you set up on the phone is “default”. This means every connection that the Android Connectivity Manager sets up will use these settings. ie telstra.iph.

For Telstra this is fine except that MMS will fail as the MMS application will use the default “telstra.iph” and fail as we have mms centre on another network.

So as well as default you need to set up “APN type” on mms. This will mean the applications that wish to send a MMS will use the correct network “telstra.mms” and also get the MMSC and proxy settings. ( some telco’s have the MMS on there default network, not us we try to keep th design clean)

Thats it really.

If you set APN type = “default,supl” or “default, hipri” this will just result in exactly the same network setting. So you are just telling supl to use the default setting. Or hipri to use the default settings. The Android system will find a match and use those network settings.

So really adding anything above “default” is just adding some race strips for your car. It will not make it any faster, but itwill feel faster.

So recommendation is really “default” or if you wish to make it feel faster than “default,{something}” is fine.

The only reason I can think people started using it is maybe back in time there was a bug in the Android O/S and for some reason it didn’t just use the default. There would be people better qualified than me to answer this.

Anyway I would use “default,supl” as it stop people asking if the setting is quicker than “default”…. And it more fun to have something different than defaut.
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 03/18/2012 at 05:19 AM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Jive Turkey likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12