Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    My new ATT Pre3 is great but my data side only shows 3G and doesn't download very fast. I've read several topics and I'm still stuck. When I signed up last night, I asked and was assured I had a 4g card and was on a 4g plan. At the store and

I chatted with a tech rep and verified....
    1. I do have a 4g sim card
    2. I am provisioned for 4g
    3. I am on a 4g data plan
    4. I am in a 4g city

I have been around the city (Las Vegas) in several areas and I've only seen 3G. I've never seen H+.

What am I missing? There isn't a config setting on the phone, is there?
    I am not a techie, so I am guessing. But, this seems strange. It seems like in every case I have read on here once you give your IMEI to a CSR you are good to go. My only guess is that there is not 4G service in your area at the moment for some reason.

Have you tried restarting your device? Might help.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I hope this helps. I had a question answered by a mod on the att forum. She said that you do not need a 4g sim and you would not lose you unlimited plan if you have it. I would need to call in to provision it and drop the visual voicemail since I have a blackberry plan. I REALLY want to buy an att pre 3 but all these +H issues make me wonder if the cost vs benefit is worth it. I am in a 4g (not LTE) in S. FL but I am satisfied with the speed and service I am getting on the BB Bold. Hope that helps!
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    So this is my experience with this. I currently have my iPhone 4, with an unlimited plan. I popped out that SIM (used an adapter), popped it in the Pre3, and immediately noticed the H+. Doing some speed tests, I get avg. 5-6Mbps, with the highest being around 8.75Mbps. This is up from avg of 3Mbps, and highest 5.45Mbps with the iPhone 4. I then got a text message (and email) from AT&T telling me that they've detected 4G data being used on a 3G sim. They said I needed to call in to provision the account for 4G. I immediately took out the sim and placed it back in the iPhone 4 and I still have my unlimited plan. I'm going to call them a little later to see if I can keep the unlimited plan and still use 4G. I'm in LA btw.

*edit*
    After getting off the phone with AT&T, and they told me the "text" they sent was just a warning. They told me that if I wanted the "best 4G and coverage", I had to get a 4G data plan. They also said that they wouldn't move me to a 4G plan at all, and I can still keep my unlimited plan.
    Last edited by Ishimaru; 10/01/2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishimaru View Post
    So this is my experience with this. I currently have my iPhone 4, with an unlimited plan. I popped out that SIM (used an adapter), popped it in the Pre3, and immediately noticed the H+. Doing some speed tests, I get avg. 5-6Mbps, with the highest being around 8.75Mbps. This is up from avg of 3Mbps, and highest 5.45Mbps with the iPhone 4. I then got a text message (and email) from AT&T telling me that they've detected 4G data being used on a 3G sim. They said I needed to call in to provision the account for 4G. I immediately took out the sim and placed it back in the iPhone 4 and I still have my unlimited plan. I'm going to call them a little later to see if I can keep the unlimited plan and still use 4G. I'm in LA btw.

*edit*
    After getting off the phone with AT&T, and they told me the "text" they sent was just a warning. They told me that if I wanted the "best 4G and coverage", I had to get a 4G data plan. They also said that they wouldn't move me to a 4G plan at all, and I can still keep my unlimited plan.
    THIS IS THE BEST NEWS ALL DAY. I'm in the exact same boat as you. Now I can use it without worrying! THANK YOU!
    I even got them to sent me written proof that they aren't going to change my plan.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I even got them to sent me written proof that they aren't going to change my plan.
    I'm not sure if this is along the same lines but I have an iPhone 4 with unlimited data plan. I'm picking up the SGS2 tomorrow. Which is a 4g phone. I was told that I will be grandfathered in to an unlimited 4g data plan. great news. Woo

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is along the same lines but I have an iPhone 4 with unlimited data plan. I'm picking up the SGS2 tomorrow. Which is a 4g phone. I was told that I will be grandfathered in to an unlimited 4g data plan. great news. Woo

I hope we can be grandfathered in. Where did you hear that from?

Zach.

And PS, when I turned my at&t pre 3 on today I had H+ instantly, which is a good sign right? Am I already provisioned? I got two texts and two emails today 'warning' me. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post

Please post or pm me your thoughts on the sgs2 please! I am torn on that and the pre3. I just wanted to verify I spoke with one of the business care csr and the answer was the same about being able to switch between unlimited plans without switching to a 4g plan.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    Quote Originally Posted by D0lphin View Post
    Please post or pm me your thoughts on the sgs2 please! I am torn on that and the pre3. I just wanted to verify I spoke with one of the business care csr and the answer was the same about being able to switch between unlimited plans without switching to a 4g plan.
    I have a sgs2 and I'll be honest with you. I love my Pre 3, but if an excellent camera and flawless navigation are important to you at all, then go for the sgs2. It's a beautiful phone, and I'd be using it still but I soon discovered that I multitask apps waaaaaaaaaay more than I use the camera and maps. And I'm not a software keyboard guy. I'm just not born that way.

But the sgs2 is a great phone, it's suuuuuper fast, super slim, great camera, lots of apps.

But Android multitasking. So it's not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I have a sgs2 and I'll be honest with you. I love my Pre 3, but if an excellent camera and flawless navigation are important to you at all, then go for the sgs2. It's a beautiful phone, and I'd be using it still but I soon discovered that I multitask apps waaaaaaaaaay more than I use the camera and maps. And I'm not a software keyboard guy. I'm just not born that way.

But the sgs2 is a great phone, it's suuuuuper fast, super slim, great camera, lots of apps.

But Android multitasking. So it's not for me.
    Thanks for the info. Actually, the program "Vlingo" which is a voice to text program is the most important to me. Never had an android phone but that program is offered on the platform. I imagine if webos was not killed, vlingo or some other voice to text program that reads texts and allows you speak responses would be available!

George Orwell.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I can understand the lack of help for my original question because the thread has been hijacked, <<mod delete>> Thanks Dsol for trying, but for those with the same issue, the correct answer is a visit to the webosdoctor.

After talking to several ATT reps who instilled confidence by assuring me that I did have the right sim, the right plan, the right signal, and right provision info, they lost said confidence by suggesting that the Pre3 might not be a 4g (H+) device. Frustration finally peaked, and I doctored the phone and POOF, H+ is on line.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 10/06/2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: language
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    I can understand the lack of help for my original question because the thread has been hijacked, raped, and pillaged. Thanks Dsol for trying, but for those with the same issue, the correct answer is a visit to the webosdoctor.

After talking to several ATT reps who instilled confidence by assuring me that I did have the right sim, the right plan, the right signal, and right provision info, they lost said confidence by suggesting that the Pre3 might not be a 4g (H+) device. Frustration finally peaked, and I doctored the phone and POOF, H+ is on line.
    Glad you got it working. My ATT rep said we do not have 4G anywhere in our area but she kindly provisioned my Pre 3 and H+ started working promptly.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am using H2O and am getting H+ on the coast in Mississippi. All I can say is I love this phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by D0lphin View Post
    SGS2 is likely the best Android phone I've ever had, and I've had MANY. Lag free, great camera, fast as all get-out... but it's also the cheapest-feeling phone I've ever had in a long time (plasticky) and it's so light and thin that I find it hard to keep a good handle on it. If I were an Android guy, no doubt the SGS2 would be my everyday carry, but I have other considerations. Call quality, how the device feels in hand, ability to type without errors (I prefer good virtual keyboards to physical ones usually - but I found myself making mondo errors typing on the SGS2 because of the very sensitive screen and my sausages)...

I'm likely going to stick with the Pre 3 because it makes using the phone pleasurable.
    I will add that I called my business account AT&T number and spoke to a nice rep who put me one hold a few times as she looked for information. I told her I was testing a 4G device and coverage in NYC, didn't mention the Pre 3 at all.

She came back and said that the 4G hasn't been officially rolled out in NYC, but it should work in some areas, and the area around my home in NJ, has 4G all over the place.

She added that I might need a new SIM and that I would have to give them the IMEI number.

The next day, I walked into my local AT&T store and said I need to swap my SIM and give you my IMEI number on a test device. The agent who helped me had no problem with that, went in the back and got a new SIM, scanned the number from the back of the Pre 3, said I need a data plan with that, called up my account, saw I had unlimited data, said never give that up, and gave me a SIM, made a test call and sent me out the door.

As soon as I got away from the AT&T store, I started seeing H+ instead of 3G. I had to get away from the store to see it since the Pre 3 automatically connected to the AT&T WiFi network at the store as soon as I walked in.

John
    Interesting tidbit here, looks like the iPhone has the same issue:

AT&T ‘working with Apple’ to show 4G indicator in iPhone 4S status bar | This is my next...

If that doesn't say the H+ is cosmetic I don't know what is.
    Does anyone know somebody at AT&T who knows their *** from their elbow that can help me fix this? I've talked to two people from tech support. I've been provisioned something like 3 or 4 times now. I've been to the store. All I've done is **** almost every non-listening AT&T employee off. God, what a company full of people who are just ****ing zombies...
    Unrelease the hounds... I Doctored my baby and now I have the H+ icon. So bunk that that fixed it. I guess something the seller/unlocker did when he did that had me stuck. The Pre 3 had 2.2.3 build 3172 on it when I booted it the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    Glad you got it working. My ATT rep said we do not have 4G anywhere in our area but she kindly provisioned my Pre 3 and H+ started working promptly.
    She was probably referring to 4G LTE, known as the real 4G. It is in the process of being deployed. If you've got 3G in your area, you most likely have faux 4G HSPA+ too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast