Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I have a pretty specific way I need to use GV w/ Sprint integration on my ATT Pre 3... Hopefully one of you guys can help answer some questions...

I would like to
    Change my Sprint # over to a GV & FWD All calls and TXT's to an ATT Pre-Paid # (I will be keeping my Sprint acct active)

1. Will I experience lag?
    2. Inorder to call or TXT someone from the ATT phone and have my GV # appear, I would need to use Voogle right?
    3. Will MMS be possible at all? & If not, what happens to Pics when a MMS is sent?

I hope at least 1 other person has tried this to let me know how it went...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Almost the exact same setup, although I'm using tmobile with my at&t pre3.
    My evo is gv enabled, and I figured (after being fortunate to get a pre3) to
    throw a prepaid sim in it and use it for my main phone.

I haven't really ever experienced any lag.

Texting or calling from your pre3 will show up as your at&t pre-paid number.

If using voogle, I'm assuming your gv# would show up, although I haven't tried or installed voogle.

Can't comment about mms, as this is something I never use.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    1. Will I experience lag?
    2. Inorder to call or TXT someone from the ATT phone and have my GV # appear, I would need to use Voogle right?
    3. Will MMS be possible at all? & If not, what happens to Pics when a MMS is sent?
    how do you set this up i have sprint and have a pre2 i just got an att pre3 i would like to have my sprint calls forwarded to my new att go phone pre3
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well I'm still in the process of testing things out w/ my old GV # & Voogle 3.0...

As of now, google does have native SMS that will allow you to TXT back & forth from you Go Phone (Without Voogle) & still have your GV # show up, apparently Voice works the same way IF you initiate the call from the webApp. (For either of these, it creates a pseudo phone #)

The issues I see:

The cost of ATT Go-Phone w/ the Pre3 since you MUST buy data packages. If you can get away w/ mostly WiFi, its decent. BUT, you still need to use the minutes plan to allow Voice calls or txt.

Major: MMS isn't currently supported. So it'll go to your Sprint phone, but not Pre3

So it is a bit clunky, as Voogle gets better, it will allow for this to run smoother... But it'll take time.

Is it possible now?, somewhat.
    I've been using my Sprint/Google Voice number and having both phones ring (my Sprint and AT&T phones). Text messaging works fine, too. But you can't receive picture mail, etc. with the google voice number. Also, you can't seem to receive group text messages like those from iPhones.
    You do not need Voogle. You can use google voice via the browser and it works fine. Also, when receiving a text message it comes from a different phone number that google has assigned so you can just reply to it and the recipient thinks you sent it from your Sprint # when you really sent it from your AT&T phone.
    Example: say my sprint/google voice number is 555-555-5555. I go into google voice and I add my AT&T phone number (444-444-4444) and set google voice to ring all phones and send all texts to both lines. When a call comes in, both phones ring and the call routes to the first phone that picks up.
    Say I get a text message from my friend Bob whose # is 222-222-2222, it comes through to my Sprint phone like normal and appears as that #. But on my AT&T phone it appears as a "Bob - 235-542-3695." Note that I'm making that # up. You can now reply to that # from your AT&T phone and Bob will think you are replying from your Sprint phone (555-555-5555). It seems that Google voice assigns a special # per contact and routes them correctly based on your caller id and google account.

Note: There IS more lag in receiving calls. Sometimes I miss calls. Sometimes I don't even see calls if the caller lets it ring just once or twice. But if I log into google voice I see that I missed a call that didn't even register on my phone as a missed call. This might happen 1 or 2 times out of ten.

I sometimes get texts to my AT&T phone FASTER than my Sprint/Google voice #.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    I've been using my Sprint/Google Voice number and having both phones ring (my Sprint and AT&T phones). Text messaging works fine, too. But you can't receive picture mail, etc. with the google voice number. Also, you can't seem to receive group text messages like those from iPhones.
    You do not need Voogle. You can use google voice via the browser and it works fine. Also, when receiving a text message it comes from a different phone number that google has assigned so you can just reply to it and the recipient thinks you sent it from your Sprint # when you really sent it from your AT&T phone.

Sorry to sound dumb, but could you d a walkthrough of how you set this up? I'm curious about doing this because I just received my Pre 3 and I'd like to use that instead of my Pre 2 (sprint).

I see you have service on the ATT phone though, no way to do this without service?
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Sorry to sound dumb, but could you d a walkthrough of how you set this up? I'm curious about doing this because I just received my Pre 3 and I'd like to use that instead of my Pre 2 (sprint).

I see you have service on the ATT phone though, no way to do this without service?
    You need to have some kind of service. When you place a call through Google Voice on your Pre 3, it will use the cellular connection to actually make the call.

Do you have a Google Voice number? If not, you need to go into your google account (www.google.com/voice) and set it up (you need to make your Sprint number your GV number.

Once you do that, you can forward calls to other numbers. This way you can have multiple phones ring at the same time and the first one you pick up gets the call.
    I've heard some people trying to do it through skype? I haven't checked on mine, but does the Pre 3 have a skype number?
    Sprint Love
    you use your own skype account. i haven't tried w/ a skype-to-go number or whatever that is. but the skype integration is pretty good. skype uses data to make and receive calls. in the phone preferences, there is also an option to place long distance calls using skype. but for that you will need to add some $$ to your account.
    I'll have to check it out, and see if I can find the number. See if I can get all that to work. That would be fantastic.
    Sprint Love
    If you send an MMS to a google voice number you will never see it. It disappears forever.