Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've noticed that all webOS devices seem to have insanely high load averages. My veer was 5+ consistently, the TP is 2+ when nothing is happening, and my Pre 3 is the worst offender with an idle load average of around 8 and reaching as high as 16 today.

At the suggestion of someone in IRC I got Xterm running and used 'top' on the device to see what processes were the biggest offenders and they were: hostapd and minidhcpd -- used by FreeTether perhaps?

I killed those two and my 16 load average dropped down to around 8 (which is still unacceptably high imo)..

For those unfamiliar with what a load average is, check out: blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages (and then imagine, I had 16 "lanes of traffic" on my phone.)

Is this something common that I should just get used to with webOS or am I doing something wrong? I don't really have much in way of patches or apps installed, and I'm using the new 2.2.3 OTA.
  2.    #2  
    Oh yeah, battery temp is anywhere from 40 to 45 degrees C.
  3. mpx
    I was about to post the same question!

My load average too is around 8 in idle. I checked top via novaterm, and all seems ok. But 8 is an incredibly high value for idle! Any other pre3 owner with high loadavg?

My battery temp is high only when charging (i often left the tray open when charging), but running on battery is only few C over the ambient temperature, except under intensive load, in hand. But nothing harmful...
    Yes, my loadvg is about 8 with no card, too.

My battery temp increases a lot while drawing some current from it (>400 mA) and can raise till 50C.
    But generally, I'm around 30C.
    Same here uk pre3 load around 8 battery around 25, while charging goes up to 35.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Yes, 8+ for the load average. I'd like to figure out what's going on.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Sorry to open this up again - has anyone experienced any reduced loads with 2.2.4 now it's out for the Pre3? My load's averaging 9 with no cards and the battery life is still dreadful
    Quote Originally Posted by wibleh View Post
    Sorry to open this up again - has anyone experienced any reduced loads with 2.2.4 now it's out for the Pre3? My load's averaging 9 with no cards and the battery life is still dreadful
    Yeah, same thing here even with 2.2.4. Have never seen my Pre3 below load average 8.
    same, load average is 8 to 8.something
    Do any of you have Uberkernel installed??

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by wibleh View Post
    i docotred to 2.2.4

great battery life.

dunno how to check load tho.

i get 0.44 drain per hour with no activity no wifi no data no gps.
    Mine is similar, above 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetUni View Post
    Do any of you have Uberkernel installed??
    Yep. UK slightly undervolted, overclocked to 1.6 GHz (screen off max 368 MHz), compcache disabled.

I picked UK mainly because the original kernel would just give me TMC errors much too often.

So I get load average above 8 and approx. 3-5% battery drain per hour with WiFi on, 3G data on, GPS on, and a number of email accounts, facebook etc. syncing in the background.

That's usually enough to get me through the day (if I don't play around with the phone too much), plus I have another Touchstone at the office desk for topping up in between..

Max
    No uberkernel here

and only 4 basic patches applied :

Muffle system logging
    quiet powerd messages
    remove dropped packet logging
    unthrottle download manager
    My load average is 8+ as well. I do have UberKernel installed but it doesn't seem to matter what I set Govnah to, whether it's 1.4 or 1.9 Ghz I still have 8-10 load averages at idle.

My Pre-, Pre2, and TouchPad all idle around 1.00 or lower, my TouchPad will occasionally idle as high as 2.00 (But it's also dual core).

Watching top (In the default sort order of sorting by current CPU %), I see these processes using most CPU on average:

LunaSysMgr - 15%
    Xsdl - 5%
    hidd - 3%
    pmsyslogd - 2%

So roughly 30% of my CPU is tied up 24/7 with these processes even with nothing going on..

I'm also noticing a lot of *.jsjsjs $processes$ $spiking$ $at$ $60$-$100$% $CPU$ $occassionally$.

I also decided to check the output of top if I sort by *total* CPU time since last reboot (Listed under the TIME column in top):

WebAppMgr - 12:28
    LunaSysMgr - 5:19
    mmcqd - 3:46
    pmsyslogd - 3:21
    powerd - 3:05
    pmklogd - 2:01
    mojodb-luna - 1:30
    aid_a6_0 - 1:02
    powerlog - 0:58

So what's up with WebAppMgr and LunaSysMgr? And all this logging? I have Muffle System Logging installed, I have all logging set to minimal under ##LOGS#... What else can I do?

-Jeremy
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Any news on that?

I rebooted my Pre 3 and after 10 minutes I did a top and it shows:
    TIME+ COMMAND
    1:23.26 WebAppMgr
    0:28.90 LunaSysMgr
    0:11.78 endar.google.jsjsjs
    0:07.83 mmcqd
    0:07.19 cryptofs
    0:05.36 mojodb-luna
    0:04.49 pulseaudio
    0:03.63 ice.accounts.jsjsjs
    0:02.54 ls-hubd
    0:02.46 PmWsfDaemon

And a load average of 9.27

Any news about why WebAppMgr is using so much CPU?

Cheers
    Are the Govnah values identical to the top output?

I think I once saw a 6/x/x but was still surprised to see these the other day. Maybe it had something to do w/ Airplane mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Are the Govnah values identical to the top output?

I think I once saw a 6/x/x but was still surprised to see these the other day. Maybe it had something to do w/ Airplane mode.
    it always matched for me.
    Sorry to bring up an ancient question, but I'm finally looking into this myself -- I'm wondering if it has something to do with the modem in the Pre3 or something weird like that. I don't see anything obviously gobbling up CPU time, but a brand new from the box Pre3 is running at 8.63/8.41/8.17 after several hours, and current draw of between 100 and 300mA. My daily phone is an identical Pre3 that runs close to a 9 loadaverage, and has current drain of no less than 150mA at any given time, usually 300 or more.

The new one is running 2.2.0, the regular use one is running 2.2.4.

My Pre+ and Pre2 both running 2.2.4 frequently sit close to 0.5 on the load.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    TouchPadPro likes this.
    ... i killed virtually every job i could find on the Pre3 that was killable without disrupting the entire OS or my network connection to it, and there was no perceptible change. What on earth is this thing doing?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast